Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2021, 18:15   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
We dropped our anchor there!

This is what a guy was yelling at me from his L450 today in lakeworth FL.

He was easily 150ft away from me pointed in a different direction in 6-7 feet of water.

Its obvious that he had been pulling this crap with anyone who got close because he still had a wide birth all around him.

I yelled back its only 6ft deep how can your anchor be here? How much scope did you put out...

S..... C...... kiss my hulls. I bet you use three parking spots at the store to keep others way too.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 18:43   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: We dropped our anchor there!

Sounds like he needs his personal space. The size of the anchorage is a determining factor as to how far away I anchor from another boat. TFour boat length away in 6 feet of water sounds good to me. ....unless you two were the only ones in an anchorage that can support 100 boats, then I try to give more space for privacy.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 18:53   #3

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Sounds like he needs his personal space. The size of the anchorage is a determining factor as to how far away I anchor from another boat. TFour boat length away in 6 feet of water sounds good to me. ....unless you two were the only ones in an anchorage that can support 100 boats, then I try to give more space for privacy.

Abe
Lake Worth is the busiest Anchorage I have ever been in. Boats are everywhere.

Lets just say he did drop his anchor there ( he didn’t) then he is putting out 20 to 1 scope at a minimum. That is dangerous in a crowded anchorage.

The truth is he didn’t and was he was lying to keep people away when space is at a premium.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 18:54   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Damn.....a Lagoon cat fight!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 22:37   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

A lot of cruisers get sensitive in a crowded anchorage, the one at Lake Worth is pretty big, and extends beyond the opening bridge, but for some reason the top end gets crowded, may be the end of the no wake zone. It does get vicious storm cells through there and I would rather people put out more scope than less. Unless you have a laser measure or use the radar, it is very difficult to guess the precise distance between boats. 150ft (your guess) seems a tad conservative in say 8ft at high tide. The anchor roller is 6ft above sea level so scope of 150ft is 150/14 = more like 10:1 - which is recommended for storm conditions, he may also have one of the smaller Deltas that came standard with the L450. In any event he is maybe trying to alert you to where his anchor is so you don't lay yours on top of it. maybe he could be more polite. In that anchorage too the current is swift and boats can ride over the anchor and it may end up being behind the boat depending on wind direction. If he is just bellyaching because you may be over his anchor when he wants to leave, just reply that you will move when the time comes.

By the way, some people mark their chart plotter with the anchor drop, so they know where it is give or take a few feet for the set, when another boat with AIS shows up, it is easy to see if the other boat is sitting over the anchor.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 22:50   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Easy peasy, if he doesn't want you to drop your anchor there just go over and raft up with him.
Old 17-02-2021, 08:42   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
^^^^^ This! You win the Internet today ;-)

I actually sailed through Lake Worth on Saturday on a little trailer sailer I just picked up. It is indeed a busy anchorage, though there is space if everyone plays nicely.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 09:58   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
^^^^^ This! You win the Internet today ;-)

I actually sailed through Lake Worth on Saturday on a little trailer sailer I just picked up. It is indeed a busy anchorage, though there is space if everyone plays nicely.

You expanded the family David?!?! Excellent. Good to practice those sailing skills ;-).
Old 17-02-2021, 16:44   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
ROTFLMAO!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 18:26   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Damn... a Lagoon cat fight!

Classic line! I laughed at this beauty for 15 minutes. Bravo Lee V!! Standing ovation!
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 18:33   #11
cruiser

Perhaps I’m a bit of a stick in the mud (or anchor in the sand), but he was there first and is entitled to put out as much rode as he deems necessary for the conditions. Maybe he has been there a week and the first few days were super gusty. So he let lots out. Or he slipped a bit and let more out.

You came last (or second) and have to work around what he has out. That’s the way it goes.
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 18:39   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Safety View Post
Perhaps I’m a bit of a stick in the mud (or anchor in the sand), but he was there first and is entitled to put out as much rode as he deems necessary for the conditions. Maybe he has been there a week and the first few days were super gusty. So he let lots out. Or he slipped a bit and let more out.

You came last (or second) and have to work around what he has out. That’s the way it goes.
Agree with you....then again he could just be an a**hole anchor hog. Who knows, non of us where there to witness the event. Last week I was at an anchorage that could hold 30 boats, and a 57ft Hylas showed up and I felt my personal space was being violated. My wife told me to chill out. If it (the Hylas, not my wife, though she is a beauty too) wasn't such a beauty I would have kept giving him the evil eye.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 19:08   #13
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

There are always anchor arguments. But they are especially common in North America and with Brits. Seldom do EU nationals have the same attitude. What they do, and I now do, is just throw a bunch of fenders over the side. The added benefit is that guy who just yelled you anchored to close, you hold up an index finger for one minute, set the fenders, and go about your business - he is going to blow a gasket. That is what really cracks me up.
Old 18-02-2021, 04:28   #14

Boat: Northwind 50

People letting out an unnecessarily large amount of scope and people unnecessarily using tripping buoys in tight anchorages are my pet peeve. I think that it’s very selfish behaviour and they are always the ones that adopt the ARS (Anchor Rage Stance) as you approach.

What can you do about it? Not very much really,...but equally what can they do about you if there’s really nowhere safer/better to go so you just ignore them, put out your fenders and anchor anyway? Not very much really....

Once one bloke put AC/DC on at maximum volume, but I quite like the band so it was entertaining listening to the music and watching his wife being irritated by it.
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 06:31   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Safety View Post

I don't agree with this approach. I know it is oft repeated here, and there is a range of reasonable "first in" setups that should be respected, but if someone is acting completely unreasonably, I see no reason to respect this behaviour.

Tags
anchor