Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 15:33   #4261

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Shipping to Canada is insane. I looked it up, $47.50 US. Still want it?
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 15:52   #4262

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Shipping to Canada is insane. I looked it up, $47.50 US. Still want it?
i'll let someone else have the opportunity

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:57   #4263

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Nice to see you back Jmolan.
I know you got a soft spot for your 34SR
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 06:01   #4264

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
OK. I just watched several more of their vids and, while I still hate them with a passion (they are out there doing it, and I'm stuck here on a keyboard) I retract what I said about their competence levels and whatever ....
Definitely you are not healed from the sailing virus, Buzzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver
In my search for a sailboat, i have gradually become involved with the multihull camp for a variety of reasons, in spite of the fact that i started a monohull website: hughes38 dot com. So when i came across this on the internet entitled "":

it made me pause and think. Should i rethink my decision to buy a trimaran, probably a Brown/Marples design? What would you say to me about why you like your tri, especially a Searunner?

My intention is not to start a battle thread, and that is why i buried this post in the Searunner thread, rather than giving it its own thread. My intention is to hear what those that like trimarans have to say about the allegations made in the above video.
I have followed the Litzenbergers and their sailing adventures, having watched most of their videos. And again and again I asked myself: What are they doing (on a multihull) ? - Mostly it didn't feel they are comfortable with the situations, which are given on "any kind" of sailing boat, either its a multi- or monohull.

Both got it very wrong, in my understanding ... making such a harsh statement.

To make it short: if one does not feel well on the specific boat type, either it's character is defined by the hull (monohull, tri-hull/cat/proa, long keeler, short keeler, flat bottom etc. ...), by the rigging (single masted slup, ketch, schooner rig etc. ...) and/or sails plan (cluever boom with flying jibs, top sails, gaff, latin sails etc ...), (s)he should hopp off and find a boat to feel comfortable. As consequence it should just this ... and not a negative judgement about all the fantastic multihulls out there, we appreciate having been designed by outstanding naval architects, boat builders, riggers, sails makers etc. ...

Its a very misleading headline of the video "multihulls suck", to speak in plural for all kind of multihulls. - Its the old way of thinking we had to notice in the 80s till 90s. Monohull vs. Multihull. - It leads to an endless and senseless fighting between traditional sailors (on monohulls) and modern oriented sailors (on multihulls). - That's in my understanding respectless, which I track back to the origin problem: this couple looks (front camera) very often very exhausted, feels tired ... and therefore misses objectivity not having enjoyed the ride on their beautiful trimaran. If sailing, with all the physical (and mental) challenges becomes stressfully, one should seriously think about to quit and look for an alternative (e.g. exploring the world on a horse back or whatever). Its always a challenging life to deal with living on a boat, its expensive, its always compromizes and steadily work, which never ends. (Rec.: I have lived on a 15 meter single bult aluminimum catamaran. Actually I live on a 30 footer (single mast monohull) which I rented from a captain colleague. Have lived last summer during the free time as professional sailor on a 17 meter flat bottom ship (2 master). I am still looking for buying my own multihull. )

A light weight discplacement, which is the main character of a multihull, especially a trimaran, has its own parameters, which requires to adapt to. Its built for speed, for beaching, lots of space on deck etc. ... therefor it requires the ability to trim a tri to sail fast. This very essential rule is valid for every kind of ship / boat, one is sailing: Accept the specific characters, then bring all in balance and it all feels in harmony with nature. One is happy to sail with 4-5 knots average speed, another likes to push a boat at 16-25 knots, and both type of sailors are happy with what they got under their feet (or in hands on the tiller/rudder).

If one resists (by the inner feeling) against the specific nature of the boat, having a wrong attitude to approach adequately during the buying process of a new boat (or just during the time of chartering), it will fail later on with every single mile. There does not exist a perfect boat. By history in boat building, the many different types had been developed to adapt to the specific cirumstances (landscape, weather, sea ares) and purposes (fishery, transportation, recreation, racing etc. ...).

I think, the Litzenbergers had good intentions, generally. But I seriously have my doubts looking at the whole picture they represent, that sailing isn't really their "world" they like to be (and should be) in steadily.
They did lots of adventures in the past before hopping on a boat. They have great skills to work as team, to go through tough times. I admired them for this. - They mastered their communication skills in between each other very well. So maybe land based adventures is more what they should focus onto to explore new territories, to keep themselves out of the stress zone, a boat brings with naturally. - Just an assumption and thought from my side!

I suppose they will experience same (or even worser) troubles with a 40-50 foot monohull, e.g. she is not being able to deal with the anchor (chain) equipment, which is of bigger dimenions for a monohull by its weight, just to give one simple example, as it was addressed in their latest video.

Anyhow... I expect from such "professional adventurers", who like to earn their money with merchandising, as Youtuber and media producer, that they avoid judging so negatively about others. They live in their own small world of sailing, not having experienced yet a lot (over the time). I can live with, that they are not happy on their single multihull. And its OK, that they like to move away froma 3-hull boat concept. But I don't go along with, that they judge very negatively about a whole branch of boat type. They by sure do not represent the typical multihull enthusiast.

I wish all sailors (around the globe) and peers in this forum a HNY ! - Always fair winds and safe journey in the new season.

Greetings from Netherlands
Skip JayR
---

P.S.:
I was longer absent in this forum. Busy with studies... sorry. :-)
I graduated at the nautical colleague in Netherlands with the captain diploma for commercial sailing vessels (up to 500 tons) at the Enkhuizzer Zeevaartschool ( www.ezs.nl ) ... and sailed in 2018 whole season on some fantastic traditional sailing ships under Dutch flag up to 42 meters and 245 tons displacement / 600 m2 sails area.
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap-on-alida-092018.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	183788 Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeil-klipper-Kaat-Mossel.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	183789 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tjalk-Pelikaan.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	183790

Name:	Klipper-Eenhoorn-1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	183791 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tjalk-Pallieter.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	183792 Click image for larger version

Name:	Klipper-Antoinette-R.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	183793

If you are interested how Dutch professional sailors deal with these "old flat bottom ships" (most are elder than 100 years, some even 140-150 years), here two videos of a regatta in October 2018 I participated, produced by my colleague Ric.

Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 09:15   #4265

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
I'd like let a book go here, it's The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction 5th edition. It in absolute new condition. I looked it up at used book store, you can get one for $6+ shipping. I will gift mine for free to the first taker. I'll figure shipping and you can pay pal me (or what ever)
I would not recommend bringing this on a multi-hull, the thing is massive!
For fun I included a link as my signature, it's a chapter of a book I wrote a year or so ago....you can back up and see my son on the cover.
I get reports from the guy I sold my 34' Searunner to, he's loving life, in El Salvador now, heading south, single handing...so great to hear!
Tks for sharing. :-)

Just like to to mention for all those, who are interested in this book, too. but lack of physical space (as we do generally who live on boats) and/or money.

It is available free as PDF download from the official website here. - Direct DL link.
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 12:10   #4266

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post

Just like to to mention for all those, who are interested in this book, too. but lack of physical space (as we do generally who live on boats) and/or money.

It is available free as PDF download from the official website here. - Direct DL link.
Skip JayR: Thanks for the link
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:31   #4267

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post

Guess it will have to stay on as my coffee table...:-)
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 10:37   #4268

All the trimaran sailors are out cruising, and the book is too heavy to have onboard!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 09:01   #4269

Boat: Searunner 37

FYI Ishmael Searunner 37 is now for sale. Please see today’s classified ad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09E7E9DA-B2B3-4141-A8F5-2DE9F4080AC2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	184031  
PatnKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 16:46   #4270

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Not many good SR left
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 19:51   #4271

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran

Post Hurricane Michael Splash!
Old 22-01-2019, 07:33   #4272

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatnKarl View Post
FYI Ishmael Searunner 37 is now for sale. Please see today’s classified ad.
Is the ad on this forum under boats for sale? I can’t find it.

Thx,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:22   #4273

LeeV, I just sent you a PM
Old 06-03-2019, 12:29   #4274

Ishmael is sold but we're keeping a copy! I made this 1"=2' (18.5" long) model from scratch in balsa. During a time ashore looking after my mother, I filled some of the moments of longing by reconstructing her from vague drawings, fond memories, and crazy glue.
Onboard is Chica, our now passed boat dog.
Our years as Searunner owners have come to an end but our love for the design and, of course, for Ishmael continues unabated.
Karl and Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ishmael Model and Pops.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	187393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ishmael Model Std Side-002.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	187394  

Name:	Ishmael Model Closeup-005.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	187395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ishmael Model Closeup-004.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	187396  

Name:	Ishmael Model Framing-004.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	187397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ishmael Model.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	187398  

Old 06-03-2019, 22:48   #4275

Boat: 32ft Samson C-Mist

WoW Karl
Now let's see if with the addition of a tiny motor the wee one can retrace Ishmael's great adventure and circumnavigate
Any crew aboard when reaching Richards Bay get a free stay at my ranch.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran