Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 04:10   #2761

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Hi Ross,
Your pics did not come through... Try again.

The boat sounds really tricked out! I take it that the heat system's return duct is in the central cockpit. Is that what you meant by "middle"? If memory serves, you can close in your cockpit in short order.

We only had heat and AC at the dock, when we would enclose the cockpit and then have three separate cabins left open into one. It worked quite well, but took so long to set up that we were tied to the dock during those 100/F+ or freezing seasons. It is just as well for us... We don't like to go out then anyway.

The problem with our enclosure is that if the cockpit is totally opened up and none of the side curtains are in, it takes 20 minutes to get them all in. This is why we seldom do so for quickly approaching thunderstorms. For these, we put in only the bimini to dodger curtains, which take just a few minutes, and that makes it 95% dry. Only when a predicted and long duration rain is coming, do we go to the trouble to put everything in if it wasn't already.

For long stays at anchor, especially in a Bahamian winter, we have all the curtains "in", but rolled up until we need the protection. Then it only takes a couple of minutes to zip us up nice and snug for that 3 day cold front.

It is rare, but we use the enclosure curtains for really nasty / WET slogs to windward too, but leave out the aft and leeward curtains. This allows for quick egress from the cockpit, and for passage of the staysail sheet.

In your case... In more moderate weather, I can see where it would be nice to knock the chill off, even when anchored out. Does your Webasco unit's fan operate on the "house" batteries as well?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108_108.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	83943   Click image for larger version

Name:	077_77.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	83944  

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	83945  
Old 27-06-2014, 06:22   #2762

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Mark, your dodger and bimini cover are the nicest I have ever seen. As I move toward construction of my own, yours keeps reminding me how gracefully you have preserved the lines and function of this vital addition.

Yesterday, I pulled my thirty-five year old Barients off the boat. I am supremely grateful for having a 28 volt impact driver in my tool kit. I had used Caulk-Tex, a precursor to 3M 5200 to seal my winch bolts. I NEVER would have been able to remove them without this tool. And, for the stainless machine screws in aluminum, well, we'll just say they didn't stand a chance. No Tef-Gel in those days. A funny side note. I thought I had sold the winches on Craigslist. The guy told me he was sending the money as a postal money order. Then he sent another email saying he was having someone pick up the winches, a mover. Then he sent another email asking me to pay the mover for some other work, but he was including the cost in his check to me. I rolled over laughing. This is one of the classic scams of Craigslist scam artists. I thanked him, though, for getting me to move forward on my upgrades.

I've got the RIB sitting on deck, but it is coming off this morning, now that I've sussed out the system for launching and retrieving. I'm adding a small extension to the portside wing deck to hold a roller assembly. It will have a small, triangular net beneath it to keep the weight down and allow me to step into a space that is now only air. I've also got the sequences down for the various lashings needed to bring the boat back aboard. I'll detail it with photos when I have something to show. I've got a new laptop, but I haven't had time to download my camera onto it, ao no pics for a little bit.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 15:03   #2763

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Gosh have not uploaded a pic for a while forgotten how to... try again
I gotta get some more pics of the tri no excuses is there.. New Zealand is a bit cooler yesterday at Waiheke Island where i live it was hail storms and gusting 40 knots. Often it will reach 40 or 45 knots in winter just a couple of weeks ago it hit 70 knots.. that doesnt happen much once a year. There are guys out on the pick (anchor) getting a bit worried in Matiatia Bay. Loosing dinks (we call them dinghies) solar panels and sometimes their very own boat. It can get wild down here at Lat 37. Same as Capetown. On saying that though the cruising here in the Hauraki Gulf is second to none. I know couples and single guys living on their boats staying manly in the Gulf. Cruising. It would hard to find a better spot in the world i believe. Off course June July and August is winter time but even then its often 60F or higher midday. In the sun you can still get very hot. Thats why the bimini over the central cockpit is a must have in my books round here. Like you say Mark sailing with just the leward side open gives total warmth under the sun while the cold wind blows. I believe that having the central cockpit as well covered as you can creates that living room (helm wheel stowed). The seats are wider more comfortable. A little table and completely out of the wind and or sun. Its not huge area like in modern boats but its ideal.
The problem is done wrong it makes the boat look horrible. I was lucky because somebody else built mine well before i bought the boat. It still could be made a bit better but the concept is getting close. Along the bottom of the zipper side flaps is sewn a tube of lead. And it it keeps it on the deck cabin. The side panel can be zipped off but i never do i just flip it over on to the top of the bimini roof top. It stays well in a good blow.
I dont have a see through window on top to see the sails set but i kinda know what is going on up there anyway. I sail the boat inside the bimini cabin, sometimes short distances i will just motor and except its a launch. Might sound a bit foolish but i like just sitting and relaxing and not working too hard to get going. If i take off the bimini the whole boat looks like a sports car model. Bit of a joke. When that comes off (only done it 3 times in 7 years) the whole boat feels like a true searunner while under sail is more exciting. Its all about comfort for me now not about getting another knot going forward (not that i am not thinking about the extra knot either)

The Webasco heater system was also already fitted for me.. lucky again.
The unit is out in the port hull (not big nor heavy) it is only powered by diesel from the main diesel tank that delivers for the new 30 Yammar that i fitted (boy never again) in a better position to that on the plans. Anyway the amount of fuel it uses is very little amazingly so.. i used it all winter every day whilst living aboard and it might of used 30 letres of fuel. the only complaint if have is it drys out the boat to a crisp including us humans. The air is so dry you gotta turn it down or off after a few hours.
The weather here is a very wet and humid so this heater works a treat. It was fitted out in the arma with an exhaust so it becomes silent in the main hull. the air duck goes to the stern area through out. The bunks all the way through to the table. Cosy. Also the up at the bow in the forecastle where we change its cosy. If we keep all the leigh boards out then offcourse the air goes central towards the cockpit bimini. And when full on the whole place gets cosy. It is a good idea but i know they are costly. I dont think i would have bought one either if it wasnt there. Hope this gives enough evidence on this stuff. I will try again with some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0355.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	83982  
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 15:35   #2764

OK.
That last pic was at Arid Island. The searunner is in the back ground in a place we call the cove. The water is so clear when anchoring you see the whole episode clearly. Love that.
Next pic is inside the bimini. You might see the rear form of the support feature to the bimini. It can be unbolted and taken off if need be. Its white and made of wood and glass.
Next pic. Its hard to believe but this beach is just 1 hour from my mooring where i working running a sea kayaking business. Outside of January the busy holiday month its hardly used... so close yet nobody around.
Next pic. At the mooring with the moon coming up. You can just see the side and the top of the bimini
Next pic. Its an older one at Matiatia wharf filling water. Hopefully its clear enough to see the bimini and side and top.
Next pic. The Searunner in the foreground is another. I think it would be as good as any Searunner. The finishing and systems was way better than mine. Just on his way around the pacific.
Next pic. Love this shot from astern. shows off how good a searunner really is. I think that the wind gen and solar system works well. Its not heavy and doesnt get in the way. The dink can be stowed on aft cabin sterncastle. I like the decks clear to run around on thinking i am young again. By the way there is an inflatable called a Takacat google it. designed by a New Zealander. I believe they are the best inflatable available.
The last pic is my young son. You can see the bimini clearer hopefully. The side wall can be unzipped and taken away or flipped on top.
Geeeez i hope these come through
Old 27-06-2014, 16:01   #2765

OK .. hit the wrong button. Bugger
Nothing like a tryer.
Because these pics came from different folders they wont be in order as discribed above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0405.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	84003   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0999.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	84004  

Name:	DSC_0348.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	84005   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0363.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	84006  

Name:	DSC_0378.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	84007  
Old 27-06-2014, 16:17   #2766

while i am at it i will try and find the pics missing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	84008   Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	84009  

Name:	DSC_0284.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	84010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0445.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	84011  

Name:	DSC_0849.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	84012   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0915.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	84013  

Old 27-06-2014, 16:58   #2767
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Is that net coating stuff a pretty thin water based stuff? If so it is likely the same as the product sold by Yale Ropes.

If it is thicker, it might be useful to help preserve my $60 hockey net bow nets.
Old 27-06-2014, 16:59   #2768

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran

Great pics, nice boat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-06-2014, 18:03   #2769

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Okay, the portside RIB rolling brace has been designed. It will go from the trailing edge of the portside float stern to a position perpendicular to the centerline of the main hull at mid point on the sterncastle wing deck. \Instead of being ash and carbon fiber, it will be four layers of 3/4" green structural polyurethane foam with two layers, top and bottom of 6" wide, 20 oz. unidirectional carbon fiber, a beam of seven feet overall. After shaping (before application of the graphite fiber), there will be 2-3 layers of 10 oz. fiberglass cloth to create the final shape, like a flattened ovoid. I will add some ledgers to distribute the vertical loading over the hull surfaces (and to make it look molded) and there will be a fore and aft compression post of similar materials. The roller assemblies will be place atop and on the sides to guide the inflatable tubes onto the balance of the deck rollers. I figure it will be about twenty-five pounds, much less than the metal unit I originally considered. I will be fabricating this over the next couple weeks so there should be some pics to show the technique (or the shame if it fails). I need to get this structural stuff, including the hard dodger, finished so I can paint the cabin tops and decks and cockpit before the new mast goes in.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 20:23   #2770

Great Roy... looking forward to seeing how it all turns out
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57   #2771

My boat is a 3' Nicol (tri) and she's mostly anchored outside Avalon (27 mi west of Long Beach, CA) in what is the never warm Pacific ocean... in the evenings it can be 80 F but by morning the fog has rolled in or through and with the combination of atmospheric water and human breath the insides of the boat got wet every day.

I had a propane stove and heater (more water in the air with those!) when I bought 'Ceil' but switched over to a Wallas diesel stove-top / heater. The Wallas has a ceramic top for cooking (basic two burner configuration) and when closed has a fan that turns it into a forced air heater. The unit looks like a stainless laptop computer when closed (in heater mode) and is safe to touch when in use as the heater fan keeps the stainless lid from heating up.

The system is vented outside so it too will dry the boat out as it runs. When the air is warm outside and the water is cold you need this drying action to keep the boat from becoming a jungle!

The Wallas is very frugal with fuel as well - it comes with a 2 gal day tank but it's now plumbed into the main engine tank. Since the unit is controlled by a small computer it was easy to add a cabin thermostat to regulate the heat...
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 14:22   #2772

Bluetriguy i for one would like to see some pics of this clever device cooking and heating.. and a couple of your boat, from what i know the Nicol is similar to the Searunnner
Old 04-07-2014, 14:26   #2773

Just google on the wallas stove... they look very clever
http://www.scanmarineusa.com/docs/pd...July-2011s.pdf
Old 04-07-2014, 17:05   #2774

Rossad, I bought from ScanMarine and they are great in service as well. I inset mine so the cook-top is level with my counter top, that's the DU flush mount version. The cook top comes with a set of metal 'pan stops' which IF I wasn't on a multi-hull I'd need to keep the soup from spilling... I installed the unit 5 years or so ago and except for a problem with the fan making too much noise (ScanMarine expressed a new one to me at no cost for the part or shipping) it's been great. Probably the single best improvement I made when I refit this 1967 boat.
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 21:41   #2775

Impressed with it bluetriguy. It would be the way to go for sure.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran