Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2022, 19:19   #4846

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Looks like a great cat - a bargain from my perspective. Shame such a good boat is not worth much more.

As for your issues Rossad

I like a Code 0 for running from say a beam reach to a 3/4 or broad reach. If the wind is up I can sail lower but I love the Code 0 (mine is really a 40 year old drifter sail - you could use any light drifter or very light old number one genoa from a bigger boat). I often come slightly off course with it - head up a little on gentle days and then it starts its magic.

Say the wind is blowing 7-8 knots. If I head onto a broad reach straight away with the genoa and main, we go slowish - about 4-5 knots. BUt with the Code 0 up I head up a little and get the boat moving and the apparent comes forward. Then I can bear away as the apparent moves forward. We end up going the same direction but doing windspeed (or almost). It is magic carpet sailing and I really love it when we can do it.

If I need to run deeper I tend to fly the symmetrical kite. Like Cav (Hey Cav - good to see you again!) I fly the kite from the bows. I often run without a main and the boat loves that as the wind comes up. The autopilot loves it too as my boats gets very placid with no main up.

I have been experimenting with a new way to drop the kite. If there is no main up (I drop it behind the main if the main is up) I trip the barber hauler at one bow (the kite sheet now runs all the way to the stern turning block) and I pull the kite almost all the way aft on one side. This should be really easy on the Searunner where you have no outer stays (make this side every so slightly the windward side, by about 5 degrees or so). Then I drop the kite halyard and instead of the kite trying to fall over the bow (when I try to collect the kite from the foredeck) it falls on the side deck and the net, and it doesn't get wet. I am still pulling it in like crazy but it makes the whole thing much easier.

So I still love a Code 0 (from an old cheap drifter) and my old symmetrical. Great sails.

Your pole could still be useful. I don't like the idea of you having two forestays. That makes each one more saggy than if you had just one, so you lose windward ability for no real purpose. Many furlers come with twin tracks, so you could always haul up a second similar sized genoa for tradewind twins running. BUt if you get a Code 0 you could go square running by poling out the Code 0 and have ht egenny on the other side. One of the headies will need poling out. It tried this approach and its works okay. I used a sailboard mast as a pole with the genoa slightly to windward and the 0 on its own to leeward but it would work better if the 0 was slightly on the windward side and the genny on the the lightly leeward side.

The great thing about this rig is that you get lots of sail up forward for running and both sails are on furlers, so you get fewer potential stuff ups. So maybe keep the pole and check it out running with a Code 0 and a furling genny.

cheers

Phil
Great information thanks for that. Just wondering if you have any pics of what your talking about. Downwind sails are so important in light airs under 12 knots. Many boats can be motoring while a light Searunner just might be doing 4 knots in 5 or 6 knots of wind.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 19:49   #4847
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i can't find much about this boat. Only one pic in the ad.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/95023

Altho she is not a trimaran, she is a Searunner. But i can't find anything on the Searunner 38 on Marples website and very little on the other Searunner Catamarans.

Ad says she is fast. How does that compare to popular cruising catamarans - Lagoon, Leopard, FP?

How is the accomodation inside?

Does she have a mini keel, a daggerboard or a centerboard?

Anybody know?

That’s our old Searunner catamaran, don’t think she’s still for sale but I could be wrong.
She was nicely built by Jayne Marine in Virginia. She was designed as a 36’er but the builder added 2’ to the stern during construction.
She has mini keels and draft is 2’6”. She is significantly faster than any condo cat her size, especially if kept light.
We bought her as pretty much a shell and made her into a couples catamaran. Starboard side has a queen sized berth, head and possible single forward. Port side is a large galley with storage and possible single forward. Large salon with the settee now being able to be turned into a double bunk l believe.
We’ve known the guy that bought her from us for about 17 years. He’s a retired ships engineer and has done his own improvements.
She’s a fantastic simple cruiser, something that’s maybe not that popular nowadays!
I see 10 pictures in the ad
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 20:39   #4848

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Cheers Phil, been here, just too busy with shore ballast to contribute much. I'm a bit envious of Roy and his Rolls Royce fit out but he deserves it. I'm constantly getting a couple things done in time for some cruise but limited boat time keeps us looking like Waterworld survivors.

But survive and sail we do, today I lowered the mast afloat Searunner style, well towards the stern as The Nicol is a sloop, for needed repairs and maintenance after a couple weekends of prep work.

This sort of thing is easy to rig as some of the hardware is state of the art pre WWII, like the rollerfurling boom with the strapped gooseneck that can be turned around to use that low aspect 16' boom as a gin pole, talk about leverage.

But I think of Roy tied to a dock with crane stepped masts and sigh as I play with many tackles and strings and the wake from the boats going by..... And realize this is taking time so again, no yachting whites.

I agree on your furler and code zero suggestion but the furler for the 0 is a expensive wadget, for sure the jib comes first. I actually use 2 furler Genoas, a lighter 150 most of the time and a heavier 135 for when the wind locks in strong. My furler does have 2 grooves so racy changes can happen.

Wondering a bit about your chute take down as it sounds like what we used to do in turtle days, repacking to.launch etc.... I use a sock and find it easy.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 00:18   #4849

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Gday Cav

Totally agree with the furlers. Go the heady first, probably on a Searunner the staysail next and then the Code 0.

I reckon you can get some good stuff secondhand. My furler was purchased secondhand 22 years ago. It was pretty old then. It has had new bearings put in in 2014 and is still going fine. But I don't use it reefed much at all, and a Searunner wouldn't much either. So I reckon the thrifty sailor should look out for a secondhand setup and snap a good one up when they come up. There must be one coming up in the secondhand boat forums every month that would suit a 37 here in Oz. Hopefully about the same in NZ.

I got my Code 0 for free and I have been waiting for years - I really do mean years - about 2-3 for a good price torsion rope to come up. Two weeks ago one came up and I pounced. The price was really good. So I rang up to get some Facnor rope clamps - about $190 each and then about $100 for thimbles. I just spent $60 and 3 hours today with a router and grinder, shaping some Tufnol into some good rope clamps. They seem to work well but it is awful weather here so I will have to wait to try them out. I love Tufnol - it is easy to machine, epoxies well (if you need to but not for this job) is really strong and doesn't degrade in the weather. It is super old fashioned but it is one of my favourite composites.

I did have to buy the free luff furler new but I have also seen some secondhand as well. Did I say my prodder is made from a cut down oar from a surfboat? So my advice would be to scour the ads for the things you know you will want in the future - jump on a good deal and make as much as you can yourself. I saved about $1200 -1000 by getting some secondhand torsion rope and my own end clamps. Happy days.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 18:33   #4850

Boat: 37 Searunner

Here are a few photos of some of my chutes.My Sky Blotter is 1450 sg ft. My A sail is used up to 55 degrees apparent.Had a race a month ago and beat a good friends Marples 44 constant camber.Dead down wind with the sky blotter couldn’t catch me.Symmetrical chutes work great on Sea Runners.My 37 has 4 symmetrical and 1 Asemmetrical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	608F7F52-0B9D-42F6-BD45-B6E987FC934F.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	260488   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDC79DA5-F244-464E-A254-D0878D481B13.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	260489  

Name:	598C75CA-6018-45B5-B2C5-C3DACB725FE7.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	260490   Click image for larger version

Name:	987C0578-930C-4C3E-B70E-129534BEC209.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	260491  

Sea Otter Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 16:53   #4851

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Great photos Sea Otter Jim. Looks like you are powering along in one of them. The difference with using large foresails is huge i take it. Can you single hand with these spinnakers.???
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 18:04   #4852

Boat: 37 Searunner

The assymetrical is very easy to single hand with the atn sock.The other spinnakers I need at east one person.I do have a smaller symmetrical not shown that I fly singlehanded.I fly it in 15 knots or more and the boat is like she is on rails.Dead down wind hour after hour with auto pilot on.The top photo I am doing 11 knots in one of our races a few years ago.Big blue is a north sail 3/4 oz and I also have a 1/2 oz north spinnaker that’s white.It’s incredible with the 1/2 oz as the other chutes won’t stay filled because they are too heavy.The 1/2 oz is like tissue paper.The 1/2 oz is an exact copy of big blue.Hoist is 52 ft ,foot 24 ft
Sea Otter Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 15:10   #4853

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

A Horstman trimaran has a "new stainless" rudder. Here are some pics:

Notice the ribs sticking out the side^^^

Notice the aspect ratio^^^

And from his website:

Does it look like what Horstman drew? Or does it look a little off?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 09:31   #4854

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Status report WILDERNESS:

It's the latter part of July in San Diego, gray mornings are slowly clearing, which means the decks are dry at first light, and the summer heat is still moderate.

Things are a bit slow lately. My main has arrived, but hasn't been pulled from its bag yet to install the battens, sew on the sail number or manta ray emblem. As we are seeing elsewhere, covid and supply chain are in full effect. My sailmaker was forced by rising rents to move his shop, his crew are currently recovering from one of the varieties of covid now increasing in the population, and the rigger is waiting on materials for the code 0 torsion luff, accessories for the batten cars, as well as facing the same rent increases as the sailmaker (same building).

I had run out of Moon Dust Sterling LPU, so my progress slowed on finishing the decks, but I just received another gallon, so that will start up soon enough.

I was able to finish the dinghy launch/retrieval system for my 10'6"RIB, and I tested it out on Friday. Way cool. I just need to do a couple of small details to make it a singlehand operation.

My additional two chain to rope rodes (spares to the all chain main system) only need two more eyes, and in the meantime, I have sanded and am repainting the wet lockers, as well as relocated the galley propane tanks (3 horizontal aluminum 5 gallon) to distribute the weight forward. They will be secured with studs and wing nuts to make them well anchored. I also have two 7 1/2 gallon fiberglass horizontal tanks for my 15 horse Lehr propane outboard, secured on deck beneath the RIB. I chose this to eliminate gasoline from my boat. The propane doesn't foul the motor like gasoline "varnish" does, especially in the tropics. And, propane is easier to find in my cruising locales than fresh gasoline.

Okay, i'm coffee-d up, now back to work.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:42   #4855

WILDERNESS UPDATE for August 5, 2022:

Jim Brown is a remarkable man, as well as an extraordinary designer. He created a series of owner-built boats that are sophisticated and dependable. But, even more amazing, he taught many of us mere mortals that we could do almost anything to build, repair, upgrade and enjoy these Searunner trimarans. There is probably nothing that a regular guy or gal can't do with their boat.

As I move closer to getting WILDERNESS off the dock and over the horizon, I often am confronted by issues that are beyond the skill sets I have acquired to date. Earlier it was crafting an actual boat, but Jim's Searunner Construction manual made the process understandable, and more than that, fun and interesting.

It's been a long time in the continuing evolution of this work in progress, but things continue to happen that amaze me. Technology is so much further advanced than during the 70's and 80's, when Mark Johnson and many others of this thread (the longest and most interesting of all the Cruisers Forum groups). I am brought to this point of awareness by my current status.

Sails and rigging aren't what they were in the old days, and multihulls are an example of a simpler technology that has grown in amazing ways. And, for me, the most amazing thing is that ordinary folks can do these projects themselves. The project that is making me so aware of this is a headsail that defines the new age of multi hulls. Having made the decision to change out the mast and rigging to newer stuff, introduced me to materials and skills way beyond epoxy, linear polyurethane paint, self-tailing winches and GPS, all of the listed items that I learned about since installing the first frames on the strongback in 1974. The sail that is emblematic of this change, is called a Code Zero. It's a sail that has become a uniquely defining example of why multi hulls have grown in appreciation for sailing craft. These sails are best described by searching YouTube, with many examples of how new tech and materials change our world. Specifically, high strength, lightweight and advanced design yields performance far beyond dacron sails of my youth. Yet, despite the amazing capabilities of new stuff, regular folks can learn how to use these things to make their dreams come true. Super high strength Dyneema lines, graphite reinforced laminates, roller furlers for trimming these new sails that allow us to scream over the waves, to weather, in zephyrs, with control, and while being old folks. It's all magic to me as I assemble new elements into my aging lifestyle. Wow!
Old 05-08-2022, 05:24   #4856

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Pics of your new code zero!
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:07   #4857

Still in the sailbag. I'm learning how to install the "torsion luff" and waiting for furler parts. As soon as I can hoist it I will submit photos. It is SO COOL! I'm also trying to finish some paint details and nonskid so I can send a ton of pictures of all the changes. I want it to look better than current chaos. Thanks for your interest!
Old 05-08-2022, 22:51   #4858

The alternative to Roy's glossy refit. Where the heck did I put the gloss??!!!
Mast back up, might as well go sailing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220805_223929.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	262279  
Old 24-08-2022, 20:37   #4859

We did sail into Canada, you have to be at least this far away from the Nicol for the paint to look presentable. Brought back a list of things to do, lots done on the way there and back again. Finally found a Origo 6000 for a reasonable price this year after designing the galley for one quite some time ago
Much easier for others to use than the antique kerosene stuff I've been using. But that is barnstorming, a bit more rugged than yachting....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220814_201227544.MP.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	263413  
Old 30-08-2022, 16:47   #4860

WILDERNESS update: Things are beginning to happen, besides making stuff shiny. Thursday we installed the new mainsail. It's a radial head which is supposed to hold it shape longer than I will. Today I ordered the stack pack to protect the cloth from UV. It's pretty cool. When you shut down sailing ops, instead of wrestling with folding the sail, tying sail ties, putting on the sailcover and securing all the other hardware, you let the halyard drop (the internal luff cars have almost zero friction), the lazy jacks, attached to the top of the stack pack guide the sail into the protection of the pack. Then, you step on the cabintop and pull the endless line attached to the stack pack zipper, closing it all up. One minute, tops. Then, slack the lazy jacks, tuck them away. Then, until I get a Bimini, I put the boom tent up to protect the cockpit and companionways from rain or sun. Its all part of the "geriatric rig" that will define my sailing future.

Tomorrow I will complete the final finish coat of the starboard deck nonskid. Next week, the portside. Then, finishing the cockpit: rebedding the steering pedestal, installing the throttle/gearshift, remote windlass control/chain counter, remote VHF/Loudhailer, and reassembling the cockpit electrical panel and engine instruments.

With these projects out of the way, I will get the engine going again. I am totally reconditioning the strainer and heat exchanger, changing the fuel filter, cleaning the fuel tank interior, and checking the engine shaft alignment.

Then, it's time for hauling out, installing the new centerboard, changing out depthsounders (I'm a technology addict), and the half million projects that go with hauling out.

I love this stuff. If I didn't, life would be hell. Being retired is a treasure, especially saying "Sorry, I can't help you fix your thingamajig right now".

Then, it will be time to install the rest of the sails, and terrorize the ocean waters off San Diego.

I promise pictures. I've got to finish stuff first.Click image for larger version

Name:	2059.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	263695Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_164405.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	263696Click image for larger version

Name:	20220630_170756.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	263697Click image for larger version