Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 18:43   #541

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

This is far from what was projected would happen, and a little anti-climactic if you were looking for matchsticks and floating motorcycle on the run to Hilo.

I considered him pretty harmless until he bit someone.. Did I dream that?

Surreal really. With no real means of propulsion, it really is a themed house boat. There are worse things to do with your life than build a themed houseboat and sell it. Like try to take it out into the Pacific...

Good outcome overall.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 18:52   #542

It's not over yet. The two options are:

- He sells it to ..... someone who's going to do what with it exactly? It can't be "fixed up".

- He abandons it, and then it ends up on the tax payer's dime.

There's no way this ends happy. It will get hauled, chopped, and thrown into a landfill. The only questions are how much longer and who will foot the bill.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 19:12   #543

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

- He sells it to ..... someone who's going to do what with it exactly? It can't be "fixed up".

There's no way this ends happy. It will get hauled, chopped, and thrown into a landfill. The only questions are how much longer and who will foot the bill.
Here's what I'd do-

-Drive a couple thousand screws halfway into the below waterline framing (2X4s) to give poured expanding foam something to "hang on to". Gonna need a lot of foam. Bottom can go ahead and rot away - so what?

-Get rid of those rudders and clamp a used 50 horse outboard to each transom.

-Glue and screw several full sheets of 1-1/8" plywood to the fore-decks to give some place strong to attach an anchor rode.

-Never leave the bay and enjoy 10 or 20 years of "yachting", Then take it to the landfill.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 20:10   #544

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Granted that Hotrod was obnoxious in his refusal to accept any coherent advice and granted that if he hadn't failed so miserably, he might have failed even more miserably by having his pathetic p.o.s. dissolve out from under him and his family on the way to Hawaii. Granted all that, still, it is not good for your soul to delight in the failings of others. Just my opinion.
Old 19-11-2013, 20:26   #545

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

Here's what I'd do-

-Drive a couple thousand screws halfway into the below waterline framing (2X4s) to give poured expanding foam something to "hang on to". Gonna need a lot of foam. Bottom can go ahead and rot away - so what?

-Get rid of those rudders and clamp a used 50 horse outboard to each transom.

-Glue and screw several full sheets of 1-1/8" plywood to the fore-decks to give some place strong to attach an anchor rode.

-Never leave the bay and enjoy 10 or 20 years of "yachting", Then take it to the landfill.

Steve
Or tow it ashore somewhere cheap and make it a home, people live in much worse conditions on boats, trailers, and apartments.
Old 19-11-2013, 21:40   #546

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Granted all that, still, it is not good for your soul to delight in the failings of others. Just my opinion.
As always, well stated Delfin.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 09:03   #547

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Local newspaper story about the sale on eBay:

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_...aran-sale-ebay

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 08:26   #548

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Sadly, it will probably be option 2.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 08:50   #549

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Here's what I'd do-
Steve
That spray urethane foam used in the building trades sticks to anything. No need for screws. It is extremely solid and permanent. I'm talking about the stuff sprayed by the insulation companies usually purchased in 2 part 55 gallon drums like epoxy. It also reinforces the structure. We have walked on roofs after it has been applied to the underside of the sheeting and the stiffness is very noticeable.

I think a little more glass might do the job for the anchor(s) instead of more ply.

Otherwise it may be a good base for a houseboat if you can find a berth.
Old 21-11-2013, 10:19   #550

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
One mans junk is another mans jewel. My boat is the perfect case in point. The Out Island 41 has many, many critics and many fans.

I love my old tupperware tank. Many charter captains feel the same way. I don't worry about the rudder falling off.

There are quite a few ships used as floating hotels because they did not perform well in their intended roles. Designed by individuals educated and trained in the field and costing more than a few million dollars.

Running out of cash while building on a shoestring budget is all to common.

I have tentative plans to be in that part of the world next year. I won't say lie and say that I will make an offer on The FH.
I don't care to own a large wooden boat. But I can see a potential future for her.

It can't be denied that she floats on her lines. Install some bulkheads in the pontoons and a couple of small diesels ...?

Most of the boating world would never have heard of the FH were it not for the group that decided that Hot Rod deserved to be ridden like a rented mule.

I have seen more posts on it than the $400 mil + 850' ship that broke loose its lines(only 2 bits) and hit a bridge.
Old 21-11-2013, 11:09   #551

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I don't think those masts have ever seen sails...
He never figured out a way to link the rudders and make them functional, from what I recall, not to mention the fact that they look very undersized (from a strength perspective) for the boat.

A couple of the trolls over at SA played a few jokes on Hot Rod by posting internet ads under his name for this and that. I would actually not be surprised if the ebay listing was one of the same. All the photos look like the "spy" photos that SA members posted on their epic thread over there, and somewhat oddly there is not a single close-up or interior photo. And there has been no confirmation anywhere from him directly, even in the news article, that he has put it up for sale. But if he has financial troubles it would make sense that it's on the market. I'm sure he realizes at this point that he's never going to achieve his dream with this albatross.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 11:27   #552

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That ebay account that it is posted under has been an active account for about 7 years with some transactions recently. I doubt someone would be stupid enough to use their own account for a joke listing. This would be fraud. In fact it has been re-listed because there were no bids. The ext. pics came from some other guy (not a SA member) on another website who had a drone. They were lifted and then posted there.
I suspect that there are no pics of the inside because it is just raw 2X4 in there. I don't recall any fake ads by the SA trolls.
He had some sails up but it never sailed. They were probably just checking the fit and it was pretty calm. I don't think there are any winches or hardware.
No motors, steering, working sails and hardware, etc. and dubious build quality. Just a barge. Sad, in a way.
Old 21-11-2013, 16:21   #553

Boat: Watkins 29'
[QUOTE) Most of the boating world would never have heard of the FH were it not for the group that decided that Hot Rod deserved to be ridden like a rented mule.[/QUOTE]
Old 21-11-2013, 16:30   #554

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
[QUOTE) Most of the boating world would never have heard of the FH were it not for the group that decided that Hot Rod deserved to be ridden like a rented mule.
[/QUOTE]

Oh so true. James Lane has become the poster boy for the floating homeless. Truth of the matter is there are probably thousands of boats like the Flying Hawaiian out there yet he has been ridiculed like no other. I know he made himself the target early on but it was also pretty evident he was not the sharpest pencil in the box. Give the guy a break...
Old 21-11-2013, 16:34   #555

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

The M/V Raccoon patiently awaits:
ShipSpotting.com © John Kohnen
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii