Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-2016, 06:07   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Tacking under mainsail alone

New to cats, but been sailing for many many (too many) years in monos. Raced lasers to offshore as well as cruising, just adding this in so you know I have some experience.

Too my boat out yesterday for a daysail with about 8 people. 4 or 5 wanted to be up front on the tramp, bow seats etc. Was blowing about 18T with gusts to about 22.

My typical way to do this is to pick a course that goes the long way across the bay, tack back, etc. We are not going anywhere, just out to enjoy the day.

So I went out under main alone, figured better for the guests who want to be upfront, and less effort for me to tack, didn't have to work the jib. Typical conditions on what I would do on a mono as well.

I am sailing at about 55deg AWA, and try to tack. No way I am close to making it. Need the engine to complete it. Do this several more times. Never complete the tack. In one situation, I am on port tack, turn wheel hard over, almost make it. But don't make it. But notice as we drift backwards, turn wheel hard to to stb , since I am moving backwards, turns back of boat to stb, front of boat is now moving CCWise, and sail fills! Bingo, think I have a solution. However, boat was going in reverse. As it picks up speed going foward, I turn wheel to port, but boat just rounds up into irons again.

When tacking with genoa up, I normally just backwind it until I am well past where I normally would on a mono, say all the way to 30deg AWA, and then let the jib sheet fly, and haul in on the other side.

Was hoping for tips from experienced multi sailors on how to tack with main alone.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail