Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 09:42   #31

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: Show Me Your Cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Would use plastic zippers and source thru the "zipper lady", i think website of the same name...you can buy zipper tape of any length and assemble your own zipps for a fraction of the cost. Also source sunbrella remnants at a fraction of the cost...what will be $28-32 a yard you should be able to find for $16-20...may have to compromise on color tho..buy a used
Thanks for the tip on the "zipper lady"..remnants won't be an option since we have SOOOO many cushions, unfortunately. But I have a girlfriend who would be able to get me wholesale prices, so that may help.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 14:48   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Re: The suggestion of the use of open cell foam. It would seem good for interior use since it would breath. I would imagine using it in the cockpit would result in having large sponges. JMHO
No, its not absorbent, water literally passes right thru it.

https://www.sailrite.com/Dry-Fast-Op...um-3-x-24-x-54
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 20:16   #33

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

We made new cushions for our boat last year. Purchased high quality closed cell foam locally. Brought our old cushions in and had them cut the foam for us which was only a few dollars extra.

We used Phifertex® Plus Vinyl Mesh Spring Tweed Aqua Shimmer 54" Fabric
(Sailrite #3035591) with a teal piping. PTFE thread.

Originally had Phifertex in white that was 19 years old. They still looked good but we wanted a change in color and the foam inside had degraded.

Highly recommend the Phifertex for outside. It dries really quickly, not effected by salt, and most importantly DOES NOT REQUIRE Waterproofing! We have enough Sunbrella.

We accented with lots of soft cushions using outdoor polyfil and inexpensive outdoor fabric from JoAnn Fabrics. Each pillow costs about $10. When they get dirty, smelly, etc.... just replace.

Good luck and have fun with your project.

Jason (and the master sewer Monica)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0751.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	196479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	196480  

JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 22:46   #34

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Recently made some for my boat. Alcantara cover for the top and sides, phifertex with zipper for the bottom, extra firm open-cell outdoor foam, clear Tenara. Well worth getting the right materials.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 06:01   #35

Sorry... Accidentally posted twice.
Old 24-07-2019, 06:03   #36

Beautiful... Love the color. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the mesh for the underside of the cushions... Not sure about the top yet as I'm waiting to receive my Swatch book from sunbrella to decide on color, etc. I looked at the tenara thread and I'm still thinking about that. It's 10x the cost of UV... And I'm not sure how that will fit my budget.. oh.. and I think I decided on 2 layers of foam. Open cell quick dry in top with a medium density.... Then closed cell underneath it for firmness.

I'm loving all these suggestions¡ Learning so much!
Old 24-07-2019, 07:49   #37

scarlet,
My wife is a very savvy interior designer and I always defer to her on such matters - so I posed the question of choosing between color that may get dated vs. earthy colors that need to be jazzed up with something else but will stand the test of time.

Her answer was "color makes me smile". I think that's her way of saying pick what makes you happy. When picking color for the interior of our boat, she pointed out all the current yacht colors are very neutral - but even neutral is a trend that is going to fall out of fashion at some point. We went with something brighter than neutral, but not intense. We will use cheaper things like rugs and pillows to tone it up or down.

Similar to JasonS choice above - which I think looks great.
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 12:19   #38

I love color!!! oooo you are swaying me. Perhaps I can do the "outside cushions" (i.e. fly bridge and forward cockpit area) in a more subtle grey.. .then go with a great color in the actual cockpit!
Old 26-07-2019, 06:42   #39

Great thread , but , was looking forward to members “ showing their cushions “, but only one photo !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 06:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Great thread , but , was looking forward to members “ showing their cushions “, but only one photo !!
Me too... But I'm still learning a lot!!!
Old 29-07-2019, 08:05   #41

Boat: Morgan 41

Here are some pix of the new (then) cockpit cushions on our Morgan 41. We opted for white vinyl (of some sort) with blue trim to match our boat colors. Easy to clean, and we still like them after several years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3861.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	196818   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3862.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	196819  

Name:	100_3863.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	196820   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3864.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	196821  

capn jlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 08:33   #42

Boat: Morgan 41

Before you ask - I don't have the foggiest idea what those "tabs" protruding out from under the cushions are. They weren't attached to the cushions, nor were they attached to the seats underneath. My best guess is that they may have been some packing material put down to protect the (then new) cushions from the dust and dirt on the seats. We were doing some topside maintenance at the time the cushions were delivered. Sorry 'bout that.
capn jlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 08:49   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No, its not absorbent, water literally passes right thru it.

https://www.sailrite.com/Dry-Fast-Op...um-3-x-24-x-54
Thanks for the link. Have you used it? I would trust your first hand experience.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:13   #44

Boat: Back Cove 33

Having replaced cushions on several boats, and having them commercially made as well as having done most of them myself, I will say that they are easier than you think to make. I am currently working on cockpit cushions that are moveable and here’s what I’m doing. I will have a solid medium blue on one side and a colorful pattern on the other. On the side I’m using a stripe that matches both fabrics. This way I can turn them over when I want. I have extra of both fabrics for pillows. Also for the long cushion I am making 2 separate cushions with Velcro to hold them together so I can fold and store them better. I am using foam that can float and will drain, so I can throw them if need be. I agree wholly with the other person who said dark fabrics are hot. So are any vinyl fabrics. Also, if you are using stripes or a pattern, be sure they go in the direction you plan. I’ve bought fabric only to find the stripe is horizontal rather than vertical. If you are looking for a modern design, consider the fabric on the pillows or cover the throw square cushions as I am doing. I will write on the side edge, “ I float”. Stick with a good sunbrella. It will be worth the effort. Be aware, I bought what I thought was sunbrella on eBay a few years ago. It was a knock off and was a wreck in about 2 years. I get fabric in Joanne’s Fabric or Sailrite, but there are other sites. Consider carefully taking the old fabric off, smoothing it out and using it as a pattern. Even if you use thicker foam, this works. The site above has economical and lovely fabrics. Good luck.
Adiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:22   #45

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Thanks for the link. Have you used it? I would trust your first hand experience.
Yes, my current cushions are filled with it. About 4 years old now and doing well. Only one compressed spot and its a point where everyone naturally steps when transiting the cockpit (Ive yet to use any foam in that spot that did not compress...I think I will just cut a separate replaceable piece of foam just for that spot).

Good product, but not cheap.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions