Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 08:45   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Show Me Your Cushions

Yes, dark colors get hot! Sail Rite has a large variety of vinyl meshes to choose from. This mesh is breathable, drains water, and doesnt stick to you.

https://www.sailrite.com/type/Products?page=3
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 10:19   #17

Boat: O'Day 40

We used the quick draining foam with Brisa on one side and Phifertex on the other.
4 years on the West Coast and no sign of mildew or mold. The Brisa feels luxurious, wears like iron and doesn't stain.
Old 22-07-2019, 11:03   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I don't know... we only first saw the boat on Friday, and had our survey, so we were focused on the systems, etc. I merely notice how bad the cushions were, but didn't get to open up the covers and look at the foam. Although I did sit on one of the cusions, and it seemed pretty firm. Will look closer this weekend when we go back this coming weekend for our repositioning. I hope we don't have to replace them, but if we do, I think I want to go with a little deeper cushions.

I've been looking at the sunbrella site, and I see lots of stuff I like, I just don't know what direction I want to go in.. neutral, or colors... solid, or some pattern... I saw a vlog where they had black cushions, which was neat.. but I was wondering if it was way too modern for our taste.
Black cushions may look neat but you don't want to sit on them after they have been in the sun especially In a bathing suit.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 12:22   #19

I find neutral colors with "splashes" of bright colors (e.g., light gray with a couple of royal blue cushions in "strategic" places) very modern and visually appealing, when done tastefully. Several new boats follow that concept, in my opinion with good results.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 13:33   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I like the reticulated foam that the water flows through in 3 inch firm, very comfortable for a long passage. I put phifertex on the bottom to let it breath and sunbrella on top. My old cushions were closed cell with phifertex on top and bottom great for cleaning but hard on my ass and foam broke down and molded. I used solid blue on the bottom with stripes for color on backrest. the bottoms get more wear and foot traffic, regular sunbrella holds up better than upholstery sunbrella. PTFE thread is not used on sails it is too slippery if a thread breaks the rest will pull out on dacron sails. It is great for canvass work I would use nothing but it, I like solarfix it is easy to use with out too many adjustments, I use white, black or clear, you don't need a lot of colors. Thread on cushions really won't be exposed to UV. It is easiest to put the zipper in the bottom screening and run it on the long side with a gentile curve down the short side, very easy to sew and get foam in and out. Make cover 1/2 smaller than foam for a nice tight fit. Sailrite has some great youtube videos on how to do, good luck, it will look great whatever you pick.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 15:22   #21

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
I find neutral colors with "splashes" of bright colors (e.g., light gray with a couple of royal blue cushions in "strategic" places) very modern and visually appealing, when done tastefully. Several new boats follow that concept, in my opinion with good results.
So, actually mix and match cushions? I would love to see what that looks like. interesting idea, for sure..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 16:59   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Definitely will get the firm closed cell. I knew there was one type that you needed to use for outside, but I couldn't remember the name of it. So, thank you for reminding me.

And I wouldn't select anything other than Sunbrella, because I want it to look beautiful, for a long time. I will do a bit of research on the thread. I know I have a big spool of it (in the wrong color, of course) that was special UV thread, but I don't know what kind it is...
The UV coated thread lasts about 4 yrs. where it is exposed to direct sunlight, underneath a fixed bimini, possibly longer. It stays good where it is covered by the Sunbrella.

The Tenara thread that I have seen, comes in black, white, and clear. I would probably use the clear if making colors. Somewhere recently, saw some turquoise colored acrylic canvas, that might be nice on a cat. I'd use the clear on that. It is that if you only want to make the covers once, and you plan to keep the boat a long time, the ptfe thread lasts longer in exposure than anything else I have ever used. Our last mainsail cover, sewn with Tenara, the thread was still good after 10 years, although the dark red Sunbrella was ending its life. Reds are poor at fade resistance.

Ann
Old 23-07-2019, 02:58   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Hi Scarlet
Congratulations on your new boat!

A couple of comments:
I am a big fan of Sunbrella Plus (it has a waterproofed “wrong side”):
It can be wiped with a damp cloth to keep it cleaner.
It washes very easily and comes up looking like new.
It is non sticky to sit on.
I have found it lasts close a couple of decades with permanent UV exposure and much longer without.

Ann’s suggestion of looking on eBay is an excellent one.
I purchased 3 lots of offcuts of Ultrasuede on eBay for a tiny fraction of retail price when a professional replaced our interior upholstery on our last boat. I saved a packet!

I tend to go for neutral colours for items that will be around for ages and brighten things up with accessories (eg pillows). They can dramatically change a look instantly and cheaply. That bright pattern that you fall in love with today may not be so pleasant to live with full time a few years down the track.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 03:17   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The UV coated thread lasts about 4 yrs. where it is exposed to direct sunlight, underneath a fixed bimini, possibly longer. It stays good where it is covered by the Sunbrella.

The Tenara thread that I have seen, comes in black, white, and clear. I would probably use the clear if making colors. Somewhere recently, saw some turquoise colored acrylic canvas, that might be nice on a cat. I'd use the clear on that. It is that if you only want to make the covers once, and you plan to keep the boat a long time, the ptfe thread lasts longer in exposure than anything else I have ever used. Our last mainsail cover, sewn with Tenara, the thread was still good after 10 years, although the dark red Sunbrella was ending its life. Reds are poor at fade resistance.

Ann
Another thumbs up for one of Ann’s suggestions.

Having tackled several huge projects (eg replacing sacrificial strips on headsails) only because the thread failed, I now use Tenara for absolutely everything (in the past the manufacturer has advertised an estimated life of 100+ years).

It is ferociously expensive compared to UV coated polyester thread, but worth every cent and more!
If you look at the amount of thread used for a project often the difference in price compared to using polyester is only a few dollars (and for small projects just a few cents). Usually minuscule compared to the cost of the fabric.
It can save dozens of hours resewing items afterwards.

The clear stuff is a little stronger than any of the dyed versions (check the data sheets) and can be used with all colours. One spool of that should last you for ages and saves the cost of buying an assortment of colours.

Setting up the machine to sew Tenara does need a bit of patience. It is a bit like fishing line. I posted tips somewhere here a few years ago.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 04:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
I like the reticulated foam that the water flows through in 3 inch firm, very comfortable for a long passage. I put phifertex on the bottom to let it breath and sunbrella on top. My old cushions were closed cell with phifertex on top and bottom great for cleaning but hard on my ass and foam broke down and molded. I used solid blue on the bottom with stripes for color on backrest. the bottoms get more wear and foot traffic, regular sunbrella holds up better than upholstery sunbrella. :
So 2 things... the "reticulated foam".. is that the "egg crate" stuff?
and, I just reread what you did for fabric, and was thinking what a great idea. putting one color on the bottom, and then a more decorative fabric on top. Not only does it help on wear, like you said, but, it also allows for changing things up. So, you could occasionally flip some of the cushions to get a different look. and you could mix and match the cording on it. very cool!

btw... did you know that sunbrella will send you a whole swatch book? not just a catalog with their fabric.. but actual fabric swatches. at no cost. very cool.
Old 23-07-2019, 05:27   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

https://www.sailrite.com/Foam-Series...f-Cushion-Foam
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:27   #27

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Scarlet, cograts on the new boat. I was thrown for a loop at first when I saw a 3k$ cushion estimate and saw your boat listed as an O'day 22...

I totally understand wanting to redo the cushions to make the boat look nice and to make it your own.

My 'frugal' side would say to launder the covers and use them for a while that way to see what strikes you for future changes.

Question to group: What is the best way to clean/launder cockpit cushions?

Bright throw pillows, towels, blankets...easy splashes of color that can be changed without breaking the bank.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:59   #28

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Would use plastic zippers and source thru the "zipper lady", i think website of the same name...you can buy zipper tape of any length and assemble your own zipps for a fraction of the cost. Also source sunbrella remnants at a fraction of the cost...what will be $28-32 a yard you should be able to find for $16-20...may have to compromise on color tho..buy a used, 50 yr old sewing machine that has all metal inner workings that will go thru 6-8 layers of any sunbrella thickness. Sailrite videos are very helpful if you've never sewn...while at it can make matching winch covers and finally a cover for your helm. enjoy.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:26   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Re: The suggestion of the use of open cell foam. It would seem good for interior use since it would breath. I would imagine using it in the cockpit would result in having large sponges. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Scarlet, cograts on the new boat. I was thrown for a loop at first when I saw a 3k$ cushion estimate and saw your boat listed as an O'day 22...
LOL... you must have missed my updated profile. We now have a Lagoon 450... I bet you thought that I was going to make the cushions out of pure ostrich feathers or something else exravagent!!

Tags
cushions