Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2019, 17:16   #91

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Sailing vs Power Catamaran - Time, Cost and Enjoyment

[QUOTE=merrydolphin;2953789SNIP

First, most honest cruisers will tell you that unless you are on a world trade wind voyage, most live aboard cruisers (mono and multi ) motor about 50% of the time anyway!

SNIP[/QUOTE]

I always wonder every time I see this claim made.

I consider my self honest and I maybe motor 5% of the time; docking, picking up a ball, backing down anchoring. I also single hand and when I do have crew docking is the only time I motor. I also have friends who chide me because I dock using a motor and they sail to the dock; something my Dad did and I always worried when he did.

Not saying there are not plenty of folks who motor even when it would make more sense to me to be sailing. But maybe the real question is why you have a boat in the first place. Aside from the homeless peeps who live on a boat that never moves and is always subject to sinking or law enforcement inspections no one with a boat has it to save money. Boats are a terrible means of transportation except for very rare circumstances; and even then there are usually better alternatives which are often cheaper and faster.

I have little doubt that for folks like me who almost never motor sailing is far cheaper. I also have little doubt that for someone who almost never sails their sailboat a motor boat would be cheaper. Bottom line is why you bought a boat and what you use it for is the biggest factor in which one is cheaper. One size does not fit all.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 17:24   #92

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Look to the left <<<
Picture and description is there.
I'm on a mobile device. There is nothing to the left for me unfortunately. I'll check your profile...
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 17:58   #93

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
. Boats are a terrible means of transportation except for very rare circumstances; and even then there are usually better alternatives which are often cheaper and faster..
Sure but its also about accommodations at the other end and last time I checked 95% of places we go don't have hotels anywhere close and even if they did, at $200+ a night the money runs out fast.
Quote:
I have little doubt that for folks like me who almost never motor, sailing is far cheaper
I know for a fact that we bought our vessel and have enough difference in cash to buy 30,000 nm in diesel at Australia's high prices compared to buying a Seawind 1000xl.
I would also hazard a guess that our comfort levels and autonomy would be much improved.

To get a sailing cat that offers the same level of comfort and autonomy that we enjoy now , there would be a lifetime of diesel and fully paid maintenance costs in the difference.

We did run the numbers multiple times before going the way we did.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 19:40   #94

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Sure but its also about accommodations at the other end and last time I checked 95% of places we go don't have hotels anywhere close and even if they did, at $200+ a night the money runs out fast.

I know for a fact that we bought our vessel and have enough difference in cash to buy 30,000 nm in diesel at Australia's high prices compared to buying a Seawind 1000xl.
I would also hazard a guess that our comfort levels and autonomy would be much improved.

To get a sailing cat that offers the same level of comfort and autonomy that we enjoy now , there would be a lifetime of diesel and fully paid maintenance costs in the difference.

We did run the numbers multiple times before going the way we did.
It's not about running the numbers, it's about the passion for being a sailor.

If you don't have that, well, forget it.

I doubt anyhow that the costs of plane tickets and hotels don't actually look better. Run some numbers on that why don't you?

Seriously, the numbers don't work out. You have the boat you have because that it what you prefer.

I prefer sailing. I love it. Period.
Old 14-08-2019, 19:54   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
It's not about running the numbers, it's about the passion for being a sailor.

If you don't have that, well, forget it..
Sure it is.
I could retire at 45 and take what we have at 50 or
I could work until I was 65 and get the sailing cat that we wanted, but then possibly be to old to enjoy it or worse.

Quote:
I doubt anyhow that the costs of plane tickets and hotels don't actually look better. Run some numbers on that why don't you?
I never brought the transportation method up, that was chotu, perhaps save your anger for him?

Quote:
Seriously, the numbers don't work out. You have the boat you have because that it what you prefer.
Nope, for what we wanted the numbers definitely worked out.
As stated, I would have preferred to have a 55ft plus performance cat but I prefer not to work until I am 65 to get it and instead get 15 years of my life back
Quote:
I prefer sailing. I love it. Period
So do I but I prefer not working and living the dream now a hell of a lot more
Old 14-08-2019, 19:56   #96

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, I fail to understand about the numbers either. If you like sailing, no motorboat at any price will do it for you. Since the OP said they liked being at anchor at new locations but didn't much care for the journey, a powercat would suit them well. It'll be a lot cheaper than motoring in a sailing cat, and probably cheaper than sailing unless they're planning very large distances.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 21:31   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Yes, I fail to understand about the numbers either.
Its pretty simple, I was not a multi millionaire by the time i was 45 so in some areas, compromises must be made if we were to be on the water at 50 and comfort and livability was not going to be one of them.

If I was a multi millionaire I would probably lash out 2 mill and get a 55ft plus performance cat

Quote:
If you like sailing, no motorboat at any price will do it for you.
I am not that tribal.
For me the important part was being on the water, in comfort, at an early age.
I can sail on other peoples boats any Wednesday I like.
Old 15-08-2019, 01:59   #98

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I didn't mean it tribally, sorry if that came across wrong. The best part of sailing is turning the engine off. Powercats don't do that. If you're considering them, then the part where you turn the engines off obviously isn't terribly important to you. In which case I'm sure a powercat would be a better option.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 03:44   #99

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I didn't mean it tribally, sorry if that came across wrong. The best part of sailing is turning the engine off. Powercats don't do that. If you're considering them, then the part where you turn the engines off obviously isn't terribly important to you. In which case I'm sure a powercat would be a better option.
Interesting story about my (currently) power cat and turning engines off.

We were in the ICW (the ditch running down the east coast of the USA in Florida) with it.

I had a single point of failure in my design for the fuel system (an electric lift pump) and it failed. I fixed that so it can't fail again. There we were with no engines and no mast yet. So I was left completely stranded and without power. Mid channel. I was quite worried about becoming a hazard to navigation.

It was a blustery, windy day out. Engineless on a displacement power cat. No sails, no rig.

Well, funny thing happened. We didn't stop. The boat, with no rig, no sails and no engine was making 3 - 3.2 knots just drifting in the wind!!! Ha ha ha.

So we went a few miles on a run and broad reach (without a rig) at 3.2 knots and pulled over into the next anchorage. Had plenty of steerage the whole way. It was unbelievable to me.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 03:44   #100

Boat: Riva 48

It seems that the key factor is how well engine noise is tolerated. For most people, the moment you get out of the dock and switch off the engine is a feeling of relief and happiness. On the other hand, there are a lot more power boats that sailing boats, I guess because power boats give you immediate pleasure for weekend use. Power cats are definitely the way to go over motorboats if the cost is affordable.

On the other topic, here is what I found on the web:

Passenger-miles per gallon of diesel fuel equivalent:

184 Bus
55 Car pool
42 Air travel
27 Car single person
13 Ferry boat

Compare this to a sailboat with two people that probably makes 10 mpg under power and a power boat that makes 2 mpg. I would say that if you are concerned about the environment, you should only consider sail.

Lastly, if you want to know what share of the time you are motoring, look at you instrument log and average speed and calculate how many hours of movement you have in the last year. Then look at your engine hour meter and it should be obvious that most of motor a lot more than we think.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:08   #101

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
S...
I never brought the transportation method up, that was chotu, perhaps save your anger for him?...
No anger here.
Old 15-08-2019, 10:25   #102

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Well, this don't impress me much, you than probably can explain how all the bio-mass is created without the photosynthesis and CO2, maybe in a parallel universe?

But I am with you, kids should learn about photosynthesis and the food chain on Fridays instead of marching on strikes to save the planet and learning virtual gender sciences the other 4 days.
I was quoting previous poster.....I have no degree in micro anything.

I should of been more clear with my post.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 18:27   #103

Quote:

Similar aged boats?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 18:32   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

Lastly, if you want to know what share of the time you are motoring, look at you instrument log and average speed and calculate how many hours of movement you have in the last year. Then look at your engine hour meter and it should be obvious that most of motor a lot more than we think.

SV Pizzazz
It's a little nore complicated than that. A fair proportion of our engine run time is with engines idling raising or lowering anchor, and slowly poking around in in very shallow water.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:41   #105

I think I found the best solution to the sailing vs power catamaran question. I had seawind build an 1190 sport with two 70hp engines rather than the standard 20 or optional 25hp. It does 12 knots under power, and that is carrying a generator, 2 air conditioners, 3 fuel tanks, a washing machine, etc. It also sails really well, like a scaled-down outremer. It draws under 2.5 feet with the boards up, and fits under ICW bridges.
Evanlewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, men, sail, sailing