Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 22:24   #616

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
. . . You need to have todays [sic] technology! . .
No, I don't. I'm sailor with a 48yr old boat. I need to have food, water, a water tight hull, sails and basic navigation equipment.

Today's technology is nice, but not a necessity.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 22:44   #617

Everything is possible if you put your mind and money to it. Just take a look at this around the world on electric drive.
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:24   #618

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Suddenly 45' + became 50-56'. Sure a monster cat will use more fuel but...

15kw of solar is going to be upwards of 1000sqft and hugely expensive. At the same time, it will be barely enough to make much more than 2-3kts under bright overhead sunlight. Hope that's not against a decent head wind as those solar panels will be a huge aerodynamic drag.

The generator is going to have to be upgraded to more like 120kw to provide comparable power.

Now you are probably looking at upwards of $50k to upsize the system to the larger boat and even on a 56' cat, 1000sft of space for solar panels will be tough to find if you want to keep it a sailboat. You can buy a lot of $150/day fuel for $50k. (and that's $50k over and above the cost of a standard propulsion system on a new boat)
The real issue for me is not wanting to be in the same anchorage as a floating apartment block.

Jet skis, 15 kW solar arrays, etc and all the other paraphenalia associated with this type of energy hungry beast are not my idea of a lovely anchorage. Noisy and aesthetically undesirable.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:29   #619

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
No, I don't. I'm sailor with a 48yr old boat. I need to have food, water, a water tight hull, sails and basic navigation equipment.

Today's technology is nice, but not a necessity.
+1

I want utility then reliability then repairability. Old tech, new tech and sometimes no tech can meet this criteria. We are not camping. A minimum level of comfort, ease of use and utility is assumed.

I also want redundancy in systems and for them to still be useful even in a degraded state. This is where new tech, especially when new in the market, fails to meet our requirements.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:06   #620

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

http://www.proboat.com/2016/11/lates...ctric-options/

Nigel's write up of a high tech, high dollar set up of a potentially decent hybrid system.

Not a lot of bang per buck, but not a lot of snake oil either. IMHO
Old 15-12-2016, 04:59   #621

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
The Latest in Hybrid Power: Two Twin Electric Options - Professional BoatBuilder Magazine

Nigel's write up of a high tech, high dollar set up of a potentially decent hybrid system.

Not a lot of bang per buck, but not a lot of snake oil either. IMHO
The second system (Hybrid Marine) he describes looks more looks interesting for your less well heeled cruiser.

Here's more information (from the link in Nigel's article).
Seagoing Hybrids - Hybrid Electric Marine Propulsion
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 08:58   #622

I find the parallel systems like Nanni Diesel much more interesting since you truly can have the benefits of both worlds.
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 22:09   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
The real issue for me is not wanting to be in the same anchorage as a floating apartment block.

Jet skis, 15 kW solar arrays, etc and all the other paraphenalia associated with this type of energy hungry beast are not my idea of a lovely anchorage. Noisy and aesthetically undesirable.
Your talking aesthetics not if the system is viable. Old curmudgeons hated fiberglass boats too but they were better than wood, so they took over.

I see no signs of electric propulsion taking over.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 14:52   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
You guys are idiots, and I'm outta here.
Well, I am sorry to see you leave. Your contribution has been key to drive this thread to over 600 posts, which remains mostly on topic!

I sure have learned a lot. My conclusion is that serial hybrids have some drawbacks, and that a parallel hybrid system would be the way to go. Unfortunately not many viable systems exist, and they are expensive.

I contacted Nanni to price out one of their 7 kW systems, and it's an extra $20,000 or so on top of the diesel engine cost (not counting the batteries). Hopefully the technology will mature in the future.

- Fabian
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 16:39   #625

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
I contacted Nanni to price out one of their 7 kW systems, and it's an extra $20,000 or so on top of the diesel engine cost (not counting the batteries). Hopefully the technology will mature in the future.

- Fabian

I don't think there is a lot of reason to hope for drastic cost reductions. Motors, controls and Diesel engines driving generators are already mass produced for many industries. So component manufacturing costs are already pretty much at the bottom.

Batteries are one area we can hope for future cost reduction. But if batteries were free a hybrid system would still cost more and would provide no significant fuel savings on an equal HP basis.

IMO it's crazy to think solar or wind power can make up for a tiny diesel, which is what the early adopters are promoting. Most cruisers need a power plant that can run for a few days 24/7 to make miles whenever necessary, often against waves and wind.

Lastly, a hybrid electric system is moving ever further away from KISS.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 14:21   #626

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

For the investors:

http://www.sciencealert.com/this-flo...d-on-the-ocean
Old 19-12-2016, 14:59   #627

I like the letter box and running track.
Where do I send my money :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 22:26   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
I like the letter box and running track.
Where do I send my money :
If it has 430sft of solar in the two little circles shown, it's around 100' in diameter. Looks like the mailbox is about 15' high and the door is upwards of 30' high...maybe it's designed for giants?

But hey, it appears they have solved the perpetual motion machine since they motor into the wind on cloudy days using the two 40' tall windmills.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:37   #629

Hi Big Beakie - we are just now trying to decide between the admittedly expensive Ocean Volt electric propulsion and a couple of yanmar 29 diesels for a new Seawind 1260 we're purchasing. I'd really appreciate your insights - we are drawn to the OV system, but can't quite justify the extra $62k....

Many thanks!
dgoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 20:38   #630

Wow! $62000 EXTRA!

No wonder BB is grumpy!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor