Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 01:36   #76

Re: Light weight cruising catamaran

Hahaha, sorry, not familiar with this . Well, I am not 100% and she is priced pretty high atm. An Outremer 55 would be my first choice.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 16:25   #77

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
I want to know what Catenza sails like!😁
From the OP's earlier post: https://nzcatamaran-catenza.weebly.com/

There are lot's of photos and other things there.

And to answer your question, it sails like this apparently

Quote:
100nm in less than 6 hours! Click here to see 'You Tube' video of Catenza racing at 17kn under screecher in 2014 NZ Coastal Classic.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 16:30   #78

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Since the boat is nicely built and nicely finished what I am interested to see, and didn't find any photos of, is the details on how this setup has been executed:

Quote:
ENGINES: : 2 x D36AX Yanmar diesel outboards , approx1900h, which retract fully & seal into the engine compartments.
Old 06-08-2020, 16:40   #79

Don't have pictures but basically they lift up completely on a rail against bulkhead. You can lower and raise using the winch. The matching bottom piece of the hull is fiberglass on the bottom of outboard.
Old 06-08-2020, 16:49   #80

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Hahahahaha My Girlfriend is renting her house out to go sailing with me on my boat,
Full time live aboards,
She has ten years of accumulated stuff in her house she never uses,
Its all being stored in my house for the duration,
I tell her we have a weight problem on the boat,
You can only take the bare essentials, Hahahaha

I went thru the boats cupboard, 30 Tooth brushes, 30 Razors, 3 medical kits,
You need a razor, But 30 of them,
How often do you change your tooth brush, Two a day, Hahahaha

We will be at sea, you need a razor,
Yep, one razor lasts me three months,
Maximum at sea will be a month at most,
We can stop at a supermarket every two weeks or so, They are all along the coast some where, Any town we pass, we can get stuff from there,
We wont go into the beuaty products on board, Hahahaha
At least the clothes and shoes, She's seen the light and only taking two sets of each,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 16:56   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
Don't have pictures but basically they lift up completely on a rail against bulkhead. You can lower and raise using the winch. The matching bottom piece of the hull is fiberglass on the bottom of outboard.
Sounds nice

I guess that's in a compartment aft in the hulls, in the regular location where a sail drive would normally be?
Old 06-08-2020, 17:03   #82

Yes, correct. Pretty good setup.
Old 06-08-2020, 17:17   #83

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Hi guys. Still hunting for catamarans, very hard to get anything atm, with the current situation. I am set on an Outremer 50 or 55, Danson design, no other production cats appeal to me, as my preference is for sleek, dagger board designs. I came across a very interesting 46 ft John Hughes design very well finished and built in NZ.
She is a very interesting boat, however, I have a few doubts/questions which maybe some of you can help me to clear.
She is 14 m by 8 m built in epoxy with kevlar bellow waterline. Looks exactly what I want, but, I am a bit put off, or I should say intimidated by her lightweight, 5.5t light displacement.
So provided that her construction is very solid, how do you see this boat behaving in heavy weather, if for some reason you can't outrun? Forgot to mention she's got dagger boards.
Thank you.
outremers have circled the globe many times. So their carrying capacity is adequate for that. Boats here in AU nad NZ are made more like coastal cruisers, they are ok for up to 5 days passages and crossing the bars, so you can cross to pacific islands and not designed to carry weight needed for longer passages. That makes them slightly faster and some novices fall for them, just to bail out year or 2 after dissapointed that they do not match their itinerary of circling the globe.

so depends what are your plans.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 18:01   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
outremers have circled the globe many times. So their carrying capacity is adequate for that. Boats here in AU nad NZ are made more like coastal cruisers, they are ok for up to 5 days passages and crossing the bars, so you can cross to pacific islands and not designed to carry weight needed for longer passages. That makes them slightly faster and some novices fall for them, just to bail out year or 2 after dissapointed that they do not match their itinerary of circling the globe.

so depends what are your plans.
Great, that sums up what I think after a lot of thinking and with the help of all of you. Basically it is what Fxykty said as well.
Outremer is my only choice for many reasons: name, easy to resale, solid glass bellow waterline, simple and spartan ( at least older ones), sailing abilities ( this is from most of owners, I have no experience with them).
So I will have to find a 50, 55 or a 49- can't afford the newer ones).
Old 06-08-2020, 21:20   #85

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Great, that sums up what I think after a lot of thinking and with the help of all of you. Basically it is what Fxykty said as well.

Outremer is my only choice for many reasons: name, easy to resale, solid glass bellow waterline, simple and spartan ( at least older ones), sailing abilities ( this is from most of owners, I have no experience with them).

So I will have to find a 50, 55 or a 49- can't afford the newer ones).

45, not 49. But for payload 50 or 55.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 21:53   #86

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Hey mate. I think I already said a family of 4 and the plan is to go offshore and live aboard. My experience is moderate, monohull only. The looks of the boat is very important to me, and , like someone said here, usually a good looking boat sails well. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but, what I mean by good looks is a sleek, low windage catamaran. I know Catenza will never dream to match lagoon 440 in comfort but I am prepared to sacrifice that as I want a boat that sails well . Like fxykty says, my best bet is a longer waterline similar model to Catenza.
I actually like a simple, spartan boat, I don't need AC, microwave, beautiful furniture , electric furlers, first class electronics etc etc. I am experienced enough to know all these will be just a maintenance nightmare later on. I also understand saving wait on a cat is paramount, so I am prepared to sacrifice here, but I do not want to weigh every shopping bag and cut my toothbrush in half, as someone said before me.
Gday Alsail, many thanks for details. Its nice to see someone who actually knows what they are looking for. Before you start handing over the big bucks I would still highly recomend trying to get out for an extended period the type of boat your looking at to ensure it meets your requirements. Cruising full time is vastly different than go cruising for one or two weeks. Good luck in your search.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 22:22   #87

Thanks mate. Good advise
Old 06-08-2020, 23:50   #88

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

Doubt she does anymore. Looks like the nice racked boom has been replaced by a furling boom.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 00:27   #89

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Doubt she does anymore. Looks like the nice racked boom has been replaced by a furling boom.

Nooooooooo! Furling booms are horrible (well, every one I've ever used has been....)

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 00:32   #90

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
From the OP's earlier post: https://nzcatamaran-catenza.weebly.com/

There are lot's of photos and other things there.

I'd read the link but hot damn, that YT vid is awesome.

I think the best advice I've read on here so far is to try and go for an extended cruise on a number of boats before finalising a purchase. I was always very anti-Lagoon condomarans 'til I went on a friend's 440 and while they're still off my list, I can absolutely see the benefits in owning one.

Is it possible to charter an Outremer for a week? I know you can get Beneteau XCS's and Open 46's, but if you're going to outlay a few hundred k on a boat, spending a few k on a bit of test sail chartering might just work out in the long run.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising