Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 00:49   #46

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Re: Light weight cruising catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
How many is "We" and what sort of "extra stuff" do you anticipate?
Well "we" is only the two of us... and I anticipate being on it full time we will accumulate things like bikes, maybe some dive gear, paddle boards, laptops, camera gear, full clothing (as opposed to "enough for the week") bigger medical kit, tools, spares.. [emoji4]
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:11   #47

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
Well "we" is only the two of us... and I anticipate being on it full time we will accumulate things like bikes, maybe some dive gear, paddle boards, laptops, camera gear, full clothing (as opposed to "enough for the week") bigger medical kit, tools, spares.. [emoji4]
With just two of you on board then as long as you are careful then payload should not be a problem. A set of dive gear weighs around 25kg a compressor 35kg. The biggest problem is that people on boats hoard stuff that in a house would be put in the shed or the attic, the chances are it will never be used. Everything on a boat should have a purpose. If you find they are no longer used then get rid.

You don't need leather shoes, they go rotten. You don't need a complete socket set only the sockets that fit your engine. Can you get the bikes ashore in a dinghy, how often will you use them, could you rent?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 00:44   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
With just two of you on board then as long as you are careful then payload should not be a problem. A set of dive gear weighs around 25kg a compressor 35kg. The biggest problem is that people on boats hoard stuff that in a house would be put in the shed or the attic, the chances are it will never be used. Everything on a boat should have a purpose. If you find they are no longer used then get rid.

You don't need leather shoes, they go rotten. You don't need a complete socket set only the sockets that fit your engine. Can you get the bikes ashore in a dinghy, how often will you use them, could you rent?
I never thought about some of those things, thanks. The wife wanted a tender with a steering console so i know that is going to be more for starters.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:22   #49

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

You'll be shocked how much a dinghy with a factory steering console weighs. My wife wanted one too, but at 220kg (that's without the engine),we had to take that off the list. Our dinghy (140kg fully equipped) on davits makes quite a difference on how the boat floats. Our stern goes down about 3cm when we put the dinghy on. The bow goes up a little, but nowhere near 3cm.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:59   #50

I am with GRIT

3.1m ali rib 38kg, 9.8hp outboard 26kg, fuel 15kg, anchor 2 kg, misc, bailer, tools and oars all up is about 90kg. Still planes with 2 people and 2 full sets of dive gear.

You need to be able to lift the dinghy on davits easily, every night. The last thing you need is a massive tethered dinghy when you drag your anchor or someone drags it for you at 3am, for some reason this sort of thing always happens at 3am.

Remember to fit laterally between the hulls on davits will limit the length.
Where do you put 4 x 25 litre jerry cans in a short centre console dinghy?

Ever tried doing a surf landing in a centre console dinghy?

Ever tried hauling one up the beach?

Guarantee we will always be in the bar first.

Massive dinghy equals slow cat so don't even consider sailing performance.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:35   #51
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have a 10’ Porta Bote with a 2.5hp Suzuki.
I love arches and davits on catamarans but I don’t think our TRT was designed to take the extra weight in the stern.
Every night we pull the Porta Bote over the hull and set it on the trampoline. As others have said, last thing I want to deal with while dragging anchor is a dinghy tied of behind me.
I couldn’t imagine a performance catamaran handling the weight of a center console rib and matching motor on davits, unless it was one huge catamaran.
We sail fast on our catamaran and motor slowly on our dinghy, very much a personal choice.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:56   #52

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

There is a very nice and well refitted Crowther 42 for sale in South Florida.
It is a nice performance cat with all the required cruising equipment.
Take a look at "Tula's Endless Summer" on YouTube.

www.tulasendlesssummer.com
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:58   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
You'll be shocked how much a dinghy with a factory steering console weighs. My wife wanted one too, but at 220kg (that's without the engine),we had to take that off the list. Our dinghy (140kg fully equipped) on davits makes quite a difference on how the boat floats. Our stern goes down about 3cm when we put the dinghy on. The bow goes up a little, but nowhere near 3cm.

Cheers.
Paul.
What is a "Big C marine"??
Old 04-08-2020, 10:16   #54

Quote:

Give in. Is this a quiz?
There used to be a Yacht Broker in Swanwick, but multiple companies with similar name.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post

no price
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:18   #56
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
no price

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/87133
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:58   #57

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
"Big C Marine" is the company my wife started, to build boats. On hiatus now.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:16   #58

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post

Nice boat but we're talking very different boats - Adrenaline vs Catenza. Billy's done an amazing job on Adrenaline but for long term global cruising, a cat with access to the hulls from within the bridgedeck enclosed area is going to be more suitable.

Quote:
I never thought about some of those things, thanks. The wife wanted a tender with a steering console so i know that is going to be more for starters.

With the greatest respect to your wife, centre console tenders are literally the most impractical boats for cruising. There's very little space in them for moving crew and items ashore / to the boat and they weigh a hell of a lot. My last cat came with one and by swapping it for a similar length ally rib, I gained an extra inch of BDC at the aft end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
You can manage with 2000kg just fine.
You'll fill it up at two tonnes, or at 5 tonnes. If you had a 10 tonne capacity, you'd eventually have 11 tonnes aboard. It's human nature...you can never have too much stuff. . You will simply adapt to your boat's abilities, just like a monetary budget; some need $5000 a month, some make do with $1000.
Don't fret, you'll adapt.

We use ereaders, limit our frivolties, and adapt our eating habits to the area in which we cruise. No need for 4kg of peanut butter.. It's not a hardship. We're just cognisant of our load, and get rid of things we don't use; soon to be replaced with more junk.
For spare parts, we carry belts , filters and oil. If we have a repair that needs much more than that, we also have a spare engine in the port hull. As a cruiser, you'll always have a little more stuff than you should. If the boat performs to your satisfaction, you're probably not too overloaded. There are safety limits, but I'd consider 2 tonnes as a guide, not a law with dire consequences for those who go over by a few kg try to stay close to 2 tonnes, and you'll be fine.

Don't fret, you'll adapt.

Cheers.
Paul.

Agreed 1000000% Coming from a monohull background and still having mono mates, I'm astonished by how much crap people put on their boats. Do you really need a spare for absolutely everything? Shops and Fedex exist all over the world. 2t is a decent payload - you've got 500-600kgs in fuel and water, 200kg in food (and that's a lot), clothes and shoes don't take up much, a couple of ally folding bikes and a rib (plus fuel), you'll be fine. Books can be replaced by ipads, and movies the same.

Catenza is a mighty fine boat - keep us posted!

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:02   #59

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Nice boat but we're talking very different boats - Adrenaline vs Catenza. Billy's done an amazing job on Adrenaline but for long term global cruising, a cat with access to the hulls from within the bridgedeck enclosed area is going to be more suitable.

With the greatest respect to your wife, centre console tenders are literally the most impractical boats for cruising. There's very little space in them for moving crew and items ashore / to the boat and they weigh a hell of a lot. My last cat came with one and by swapping it for a similar length ally rib, I gained an extra inch of BDC at the aft end.

Agreed 1000000% Coming from a monohull background and still having mono mates, I'm astonished by how much crap people put on their boats. Do you really need a spare for absolutely everything? Shops and Fedex exist all over the world. 2t is a decent payload - you've got 500-600kgs in fuel and water, 200kg in food (and that's a lot), clothes and shoes don't take up much, a couple of ally folding bikes and a rib (plus fuel), you'll be fine. Books can be replaced by ipads, and movies the same.

Catenza is a mighty fine boat - keep us posted!

n

And wine, liquor and beer, BBQ, microwave, dive tanks, weights and air compressor, SUP(s), tools, propane tanks, water maker, generator, printer, mooring lines, second anchor, solar panels and regulators, etc, etc, etc.

Long term cruising is not like seasonal or commuter or coastal cruising and while you can live lightly it’s not easy, especially with kids. Not everyone wants to count grams. If that’s already you, not problem. If it’s not, problem.

None of that negates that Catenza does look mighty fine.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:19   #60

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
And wine, liquor and beer, BBQ, microwave, dive tanks, weights and air compressor, SUP(s), tools, propane tanks, water maker, generator, printer, mooring lines, second anchor, solar panels and regulators, etc, etc, etc.

Long term cruising is not like seasonal or commuter or coastal cruising and while you can live lightly it’s not easy, especially with kids. Not everyone wants to count grams. If that’s already you, not problem. If it’s not, problem.

None of that negates that Catenza does look mighty fine.
Again though, it comes down to how much you want to carry around. Microwave? Generator? Dive tanks and comp? Ice maker? All nice to have on board, but not what I’d call necessary for long term cruising. Hell, the original owner of Catenza didn't have an oven fitted as they didn't deem it necessary for South Pacific cruising (again, horses for courses. Having kids / hitting colder weather would absolutely mean an oven would make sense)

Back to the 2t limit though - nothing you’ve listed really breaks the bank. Magma BBQ is 5kg, 100w flexible solar panels are 2-3kg each, inflatable SUPs are 10kg (give or take, inc pump), watermaker is 30kg (Spectra Ventura, inc water filter housings), printer is 3kg, alcohol is... well haha 50-60kgs, etc etc I'm pretty sure you could kit a boat out with 2t of stuff or 20t of stuff... depending on the size of the boat, your bank balance and what you deem necessary to go cruising.

I’m not disagreeing with you that long term cruising requires a lot of stuff (can you ever have too many spare nuts and bolts?) - I just feel it’s possible to long term cruise comfortably with a 2t payload.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising