Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 22:15   #226

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojolimited View Post
Who flew over? She and her father sailed from Europe to USA. ON the way back, the only person they picked up was Niki Henderson. When she got back to Portugal, she took the train back to Sweden. It's hard to find groceries that are not in some sort of packaging. The so-called facts you're talking about are her enemies trying to paint her in the worst light possible. It goes with the territory when someone is willing to stick their neck out and take a stand.

For the first trip from Europe to the US, 5 crew were flown from Europe to the US to deliver the yacht back to Europe for previously scheduled events. And the skipper flew back to the US after the return trip to Europe. Apparently they bought offsets so their flights didn’t count. Why then couldn’t Greta have flown?

For the return sail, Nikki Henderson, a professional skipper without whom the midwinter trans Atlantic passage couldn’t have been done, flew to the US from her home in the UK. Nothing said about whether her flight was offset.

So, GT was green washing her two crossings - no actual benefit to the planet and arguably worse due to more flying miles than just her and her dad. Showboating and misrepresentation as being carbon-neutral, nothing else. That’s why there’s so much anger about it.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 22:31   #227

Boat: no boat any more

...luckily for the environment "Gretas sailing-PR-stunt" was on THE ECO-boat: all naturally grown & bio-degradable materials, cotton sails (Oh wait, even cotton & the environment ;-) ...) built by subsistence hunter-gatherers with stone-age-tools...this showed us "old-white-men" & the "Environment-pig-grandma" the CO² "footprint" of the "new generation" & how will "run" everything...
Old 06-07-2021, 09:52   #228
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Still yet to watch one.
Living our own life and adventures in the real world.
Them and wind hippie . Sailing
https://youtu.be/1RPyJDX5AD8
Another amature videographer she tells it like she sees it .
Old 07-07-2021, 09:08   #229

Boat: Between boats due to COVID-19 lockdowns in Australia, and waiting for the prices to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdep View Post
I'll tackle both your last posts with this one.

To get Greta (who refuses to fly supposedly; but then flew with Riley to Australia from Europe) over to NY from Europe there were at least 5 people who had to make multiple flights across the Atlantic just so that Greta didnt have to fly.

So in most all things AGW (man caused climate change) the information you get doesn't include the fact they damaged more of the atmosphere in order to present the image that no environmental damage was done. And Greta is a Saint.

She is a spoiled rotten petulant angry teenager who does NOT follow what she tells everyone else to do. (look it up on youtube) She was caught at a Climate Conference in Europe a year to two ago in her TESLA; however she had the whole backseat full of groceries which were all encased in plastic and a ton of plastic water bottles. No different than ALL AGW believers who never fully follow the IPPC or UN guidelines to what they are supposed to be doing.

Its all a show and eventually a more or less One World Government. Dont believe me then why is POTUS following exactly what the UN is telling him too. So not a conspiracy. LOL
Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good argument! Elayna, Riley's wife from La Vagabond flew to Australia for Riley to crew in the Sydney to Hobart race. The whole east coast of Australia was on fire and many Australians were suffering! Greta (the young Swedish climate activist) and her father hadn't even met the La Vagabond crew until a couple of months later when she sailed with them to Europe form the US.

Elayna and Riley are happy to fly, however Greta is the one who is vegan and tries to reduce her carbon footprint by her actions including travel. Whatever your view on this you have to give her kudos for her principles, standing up to much older climate bullies like "the cheeto", and having the determination to see it through. Try going 100% vegan and eating all plant based foods. It is difficult, some would say painful and not many of us could do it. I know, because I have a family member who is a strict vegan.
Rjstutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:45   #230
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdep View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion in America; however, if they are not based upon facts then they are wrong. All I showed you was fact, that Greta put more CO2 in the atmosphere for political reasons, than if she had just flown over, rather than pulling the sailing stunt.

She has no clue to the ramifications of her rants.
This is the younger generations' world now. The future is theirs, not ours. We had our chance at her age, and we chose not to care about our beautiful blue planet. Nowadays, everywhere we look, we see the sad outcome of what we have done to our only home in the universe. The new generations do not want to repeat the terrible mistakes that our old generations have made. The young folks want to grow old around a clean environment; what part of that simple desire is so difficult to understand?

Respectfully.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:08   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyl View Post
This is the younger generations' world now. The future is theirs, not ours. We had our chance at her age, and we chose not to care about our beautiful blue planet. Nowadays, everywhere we look, we see the sad outcome of what we have done to our only home in the universe. The new generations do not want to repeat the terrible mistakes that our old generations have made. The young folks want to grow old around a clean environment; what part of that simple desire is so difficult to understand?

Respectfully.
Which is your generation and in what country do you live?

In my lifetime I have seen horrible air, water, and land pollution in the US. ALL of these forms of pollution are greatly improved with much of the improvement happening decades ago.

Go watch old episodes of TV shows from the late 60's or early 70's to see the air pollution in LA and compare it to today's reality. As an example, Colombo has scenic shots over LA where you could see nothing but smog. That is not today's reality. I used to live in a city that had worse air pollution than LA and it is much better today.

There is a river in my area that used to have multiple changes of colors from the chemicals being dumped by the textile mills. Lets not talk about sewage from upstream cities and towns. One did not go into that water or eat fish from it, yet today, the water is orders of magnitude cleaner, and eating fish from the river or being in the river, is no big deal.

Trash on the side of a road does not happen anywhere near what it once was because most people give a da...mn and do not throw trash out the window. Is there trash? Of course, but it is from a small number of people, and no where what it used to be. AND we have people who go clean up that trash which seldom happened before. New York City stopped dumping its trash at sea 25ish years ago.

I am not that old, in spite of what my kids and some whipper snapper coworkers might say, and the improvement in the US environment is huge compared to the level of pollution when I was a kid.

Having said that, the worse pollution I have ever seen has been in China, and we were not in the most polluted part of the country. What I saw made the US pollution look pristine in comparison.

The US environment has greatly improved in my limited life time.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:43   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojolimited View Post
It's hard to find groceries that are not in some sort of packaging. The so-called facts you're talking about are her enemies trying to paint her in the worst light possible. It goes with the territory when someone is willing to stick their neck out and take a stand.
When you play the eco-theater, you have to expect people to question it. There is a long history of eco-warriors who talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

If she deserves any leeway...it's that her parents put her in this position. I can guarantee she didn't take this role on her own.

PS: In much of Europe, you actually have to pay extra to get plastic grocery bags.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:49   #233

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to why they are soooo far ahead in YT subs?
if you want flesh there are more sexy channels,
if you want info there are way more informative channels,
if you want videography there are much better channels.

Is it simply because they were one of the first?

And BTW how come I knew that they were getting a Rapido 18 mths ago? I thought it was common knowledge...

The logical answer to your question is because their format attracts subs. Just watch PewDiePie and ask yourself why this vacuous twat has 108m subscribers.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:06   #234
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Which is your generation and in what country do you live?

In my lifetime I have seen horrible air, water, and land pollution in the US. ALL of these forms of pollution are greatly improved with much of the improvement happening decades ago.

Go watch old episodes of TV shows from the late 60's or early 70's to see the air pollution in LA and compare it to today's reality. As an example, Colombo has scenic shots over LA where you could see nothing but smog. That is not today's reality. I used to live in a city that had worse air pollution than LA and it is much better today.

There is a river in my area that used to have multiple changes of colors from the chemicals being dumped by the textile mills. Lets not talk about sewage from upstream cities and towns. One did not go into that water or eat fish from it, yet today, the water is orders of magnitude cleaner, and eating fish from the river or being in the river, is no big deal.

Trash on the side of a road does not happen anywhere near what it once was because most people give a da...mn and do not throw trash out the window. Is there trash? Of course, but it is from a small number of people, and no where what it used to be. AND we have people who go clean up that trash which seldom happened before. New York City stopped dumping its trash at sea 25ish years ago.

I am not that old, in spite of what my kids and some whipper snapper coworkers might say, and the improvement in the US environment is huge compared to the level of pollution when I was a kid.

Having said that, the worse pollution I have ever seen has been in China, and we were not in the most polluted part of the country. What I saw made the US pollution look pristine in comparison.

The US environment has greatly improved in my limited life time.

Later,
Dan
A little too late.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:22   #235
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjstutch View Post
Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good argument! Elayna, Riley's wife from La Vagabond flew to Australia for Riley to crew in the Sydney to Hobart race. The whole east coast of Australia was on fire and many Australians were suffering! Greta (the young Swedish climate activist) and her father hadn't even met the La Vagabond crew until a couple of months later when she sailed with them to Europe form the US.

Elayna and Riley are happy to fly, however Greta is the one who is vegan and tries to reduce her carbon footprint by her actions including travel. Whatever your view on this you have to give her kudos for her principles, standing up to much older climate bullies like "the cheeto", and having the determination to see it through. Try going 100% vegan and eating all plant based foods. It is difficult, some would say painful and not many of us could do it. I know, because I have a family member who is a strict vegan.
And all of those fires were human caused either by negligence or intent.

BTW you should read miss thunbergs Twitter feed it is a bit eye opening . Not to mention one of her aunts is a Rothschild.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:49   #236

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjstutch View Post
Greta (the young Swedish climate activist) and her father hadn't even met the La Vagabond crew until a couple of months later when she sailed with them to Europe form the US.
I guess you missed the post where I showed a video of that environmental hypocrite talking about sailing the juvenile climate expert across the Atlantic, then flying and dropping off his wife and future environmental hack in Perth, then on to Sydney. (thanks Factor for the correct spelling.....)
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 14:12   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I guess you missed the post where I showed a video of that environmental hypocrite talking about sailing the juvenile climate expert across the Atlantic, then flying and dropping off his wife and future environmental hack in Perth, then on to Sydney. (thanks Factor for the correct spelling.....)
Link?
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 15:07   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Think about it: The boat flies the U.S. flag, is labeled with Seattle home port, and is obviously USCG documented. (Hint: the owner has to be a U.S. Citizen)
(the USA).
Are you sure? It is my understanding a foreign national can incorporate a name and/or business in the USA. They can then register said vessel as owned by the Corporation. Hence being a US registered vessel but the sole director being a foreigner.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 15:18   #239
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Are you sure? It is my understanding a foreign national can incorporate a name and/or business in the USA. They can then register said vessel as owned by the Corporation. Hence being a US registered vessel but the sole director being a foreigner.

Not sure if that’s the case, but a US documented vessel cannot be legally captained by anyone other than a US citizen.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 15:27   #240
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Must be a us citizen to have the vessel documented . iirc the vessel has to be USA manufactured for commercial fishing in American economic zone