Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2021, 08:06   #286

Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

I have to smile at the aussie guy calling the americans 'seppos' You'll get yourself into trouble if they woke up to the origins of that one! Came fro the second war when aus was full of yank soldiers.

The La Vagabonde people make a LOT of money from Youtube and Patreon, and other sources. Last I saw, was over $7k/month. They acknowledge that they are now Youtube entertainers, as do many.

I accidentally looked at the Sailing Evans a week or so ago. They are now calling themselves Youtube movie makers. Better that than sailors, which they'll never be. That boat will kill someone one day. The repairs were (obviously) amateurish, and poorly done. As much as they said they worked with a surveyor, they'd never hint at who that surveyor was, when asked. Maybe the labourer at the boat yard?

Back to LV, I saw Riley explain the reason the new boat is a tri, and he made a lot of sense. He wanted faster passages, and to be able to single hand it at worst. I don't think any cruiser who's done more than enough long ocean passages would think different on that. The new tri won't have the accommodation of the cat, so the video content will surely change.

I used to subscribe to more than a dozen sailing channels, and have reduced them down to Sailing Fair Isle, Nahoa and the O'Kelleys, and occasionally LV.
Elleroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 09:00   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
The only channel I openly avoid like the plague is sailing Zatara. How anyone could watch or support this family financially is beyond me. I watched up until the Fakarava episode where the Dufour crashed on the reef. Hearing them openly mock the family commenting how 'somebodies dreams just went to crap' made my skin crawl. That pompous walk the father did on the shore with his chest puffed out with him and his family laughing at the mistakes that were made, was enough for me. Shallow, brash, ignorant human beings.
Agreed! I watched them for some time, but became more and more disgusted with the cocky, entitled “I’ve got rights” dad and obnoxious kids constantly hamming it up or being dramatic for the camera.

But that’s what’s cool about the many options on YouTube. You can find what you’re looking for, as somebody’s probably done it and video’d it before you. Whether it simple entertainment or learning desired. I’ve had many an appliance or other thing fixed, or “how do you” - learned as a result of people taking the time to share with others. So, I appreciate YouTube. And when I don’t, I just move on and unsubscribe.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 20:29   #288

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleroo View Post

I have to smile at the aussie guy calling the americans 'seppos' You'll get yourself into trouble if they woke up to the origins of that one! Came fro the second war when aus was full of yank soldiers.

Being an Aussie with US friends and even my youngest daughter is dating one, I never use that phase for them or anytime really. Never liked it nor would like to be called it if the shoe was on the other foot, especailly given its background. Just not how I roll.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:50   #289
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

What i don't understand is why so many sailing channels end up looking as "look how cool we are"...
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:37   #290

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
What i don't understand is why so many sailing channels end up looking as "look how cool we are"...
A lot of instagram accounts with millions of followers and nothing but selfies of the same person with the same facial expression in different clothes.

Gotta love us humans! (no irony!)

I'm not watching any sailing channels regularly. I do however watch a lot of movies. It's (often) more interesting to see Denzel and Gene Hackman in a submarine for the 10th time than a sailing video for the first time.

Or maybe it isn't?

I don't know. I think there needs to be something special (I don't know what) to make it interesting.

I don't understand.
Old 05-09-2021, 22:46   #291
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Maldives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
A lot of instagram accounts with millions of followers and nothing but selfies of the same person with the same facial expression in different clothes.

Gotta love us humans! (no irony!)

I'm not watching any sailing channels regularly. I do however watch a lot of movies. It's (often) more interesting to see Denzel and Gene Hackman in a submarine for the 10th time than a sailing video for the first time.

Or maybe it isn't?

I don't know. I think there needs to be something special (I don't know what) to make it interesting.

I don't understand.

Yeah, probably because it's not enough to record on a sailing boat to make it a sailing video
Personally i watched some videos of people on boats, i think that sailing zingaro is probably the most interesting, but don't follow none.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 00:21   #292

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post
Yeah, probably because it's not enough to record on a sailing boat to make it a sailing video
Personally i watched some videos of people on boats, i think that sailing zingaro is probably the most interesting, but don't follow none.
That's true! I did a test yesterday and watched the most recent episode of Zatara. I'm not really interested in fishing, surfing, skating, but the few moments of sailing included were indeed quite interesting.
Old 05-10-2021, 14:23   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I think you are right. And wrong

A lot of these "sailing" channels have undergone a paradigm shift and no longer are what they once were. We watched Call the Midwives and when after season 2 the lead character left the show wasn't the same. But then again it kept on for a bunch more seasons as something else. Delos isn't the Brian and Brady show anymore. Bu then again I wasn't disappointed when Josje left. Someday they will "jump the shark" and their following will fade away—but the numbers say that hasn't happened yet.

Personally I don't watch them regularly anymore. I will watch the occasional episode or read the notes just to satisfy my curiosity...same as Vagabonde and now generally watch the channels that are exploring waters of interest to me (the last season of Ran in Sweden has been great but soon they will head south and I will likely stop watching again).

But sailing channels like they used to be are few and far between—the medium has evolved.
I watched their latest episode last night and they openly spoke about past people on board (of course they were picking up two new crew members) and they changed their opening and it shows more of their real history, not just the Brian, Karin, and nugget show.
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 17:16   #294

Have a look at How to Sail Oceans if your more interested in sailing skills than the beautiful people.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 15:23   #295

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

His post is spot on. Go cry a river , then sail in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This is quite unreasonable. Tremendous lockdowns? Maybe you missed the world health crisis. 26,054 Canadian Covid deaths, I just looked it up. US deaths 600,000+. Canadian population is 38 million, US is 10 times that. Somehow this lockdown has saved lives. Perhaps even mine.

Freedom of speech? That's pricelessly incoherent and incorrect.

Large welfare state? Another piece of misinformation. I like my health care and it doesn't make me broke.

I lived in the US until 2016. I love it here. The people are friendly and don't go around shooting up their neighbors.

I think your post is offensive.
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 15:40   #296

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Not that I should have to point this out, but I am an American.. if you have comprehension issues, then maybe you need to some remedial education. I wasn’t talking about the continent of North America. This isn’t that difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSHAW View Post
Red-blooded American?
What country in America are you referring to???

You do realize America is a continent NOT a country, don't you???

That's the problem with us red-blooded Americans (Incidently all human blood is red) Most of us who haven't traveled dont know how most of the world views us.
Ignorant, self-absorbed, and rude.
The world doesn't revolve around us big boy
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote