Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 14:05   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37
Sorry, I Don't Understand How to . . .

... to insert a photo with my profile... maybe because i use a Mac ? I tried with .jpeg and it doesn' work... Even when I reduce the size as indicated... Where am I wrong ?
Thanks...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 15:23   #2

Boat: private yacht always moving
nothing to do with using a mac or a windows computer,,,,,not sure what you are doing wrong but I work on a mac and had no problem
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 08:36   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, it's definitely not your Mac that's at fault . . . I'm on a MacBook, myself. For those who want or need the steps right from the beginning, here they are. Click on User CP (lower left end of the box containing your User Name when you're logged in; CP = Control Panel). On the left side of the page that opens are several different boxes, and the second one from the top is labeled Your Profile. The third item in that box is Edit Profile Picture.

When you click on Edit Profile Picture, the page that opens will have boxes for either of the two options available for creating a path to the image you want to use. The first is for images located somewhere on the internet. The second is for images stored on your computer. In most cases, members will be selecting images stored on their own computer.

For that option, click on Browse . . . and, once you've located the image on your computer, click on it to highlight it, then click on Open. That will put the "address" of the image on your computer into the second box on the Edit Profile Picture page. Once you've gotten that far, it's just a matter of clicking on Save Changes at the bottom. That's all that is necessary to place the picture on your profile page.

If it doesn't work, it is more than likely because it doesn't conform to the note on the Edit Profile Picture page below the box for the "address" of the image. It reads: "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 400 by 400 pixels or 7.5 KB (whichever is smaller)."

I hope that helps. If you're still having problems, let us know.

TaoJones
Old 23-11-2010, 09:22   #4

Thanks and sorry, but it looks exactly what I just tried again . The photo appears on "Edit Profile Picture page". I click on " Save changes" . And I receive the message : "Upload of file failed"

The photo is on my computer , it is a jpeg, it is now a very small format : 25 Ko (23*380 octets). Is it still too big ?
. I show you the references of the photo :/Users/jlm/Desktop/METIS- 063.jpeg

But anyway, it is not important, I am just a little disappointed not to succeed something that must not be difficult for some one more efficient on computers than I
And what is funny is that I succeeded monts ago to put 3 photos on my album.
Old 23-11-2010, 10:00   #5

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Jacques, this happened to me too when I first tried to upload my avatar...I think I tried it five times and it finally just worked...never figured out what the deal was...sort of like black magic...hope you can post it soon...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 15:06   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

If it doesn't work, it is more than likely because it doesn't conform to the note on the Edit Profile Picture page below the box for the "address" of the image. It reads: "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 400 by 400 pixels or 7.5 KB (whichever is smaller)."

When I look at the upload screen it says max 100kb. Is it really 7.5kb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post

The photo is on my computer , it is a jpeg, it is now a very small format : 25 Ko (23*380 octets). Is it still too big ?
. I show you the references of the photo :/Users/jlm/Desktop/METIS- 063.jpeg

The only thing I see that might be it, is that there is a space in the name (unless that was a typo). If the server is Unix-based, it won't like spaces in the name.

The size of your pic should be fine from what I read: max 400x400 - 100kb. However, if Tao is right and it is actually 7.5kb, that's a problem...

FYI: My profile pic is 400x316 - 18.96 KB.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 15:13   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're probably right, Dan, and I'm wrong . . . I don't really know the answer - I just copied-and-pasted from the page itself. I'll ask Janet, as I always do on technical questions that I'm unqualified to answer. (Happens a lot . . . )

TaoJones
Old 23-11-2010, 15:37   #8
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
You're probably right, Dan, and I'm wrong . . . I don't really know the answer - I just copied-and-pasted from the page itself. I'll ask Janet, as I always do on technical questions that I'm unqualified to answer. (Happens a lot . . . )

TaoJones
I am a computer expert. I can, therefore, tell you with absolute certainty that I am definitely either right or wrong.

-dan
Old 23-11-2010, 18:02   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Hm.... I see a profile pic loaded here: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Jacques2 so either you figured it out or the cyber gods are smiling on you today.

You could go for broke and load an avatar image as well (the tiny pic that displays beside your posts). You can find some detailed instructions here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post209420. Holler if you need help
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 01:30   #10

So many people trying to help me... That is wonderful ... Your are right Janet H, when i go to see my profile, i can see my photo now ! So I suppose it works. This reply will be a test...
Old 24-11-2010, 20:37   #11
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post

This reply will be a test...
If you were expecting to see the photo in your post, see Janet's second paragraph about uploading an avatar.

It has much smaller limits. 120x120 - 100k.

-dan
Old 24-11-2010, 20:52   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahhh . . . yes, if it's an avatar picture you're trying for, that is a different animal from a profile picture. Follow the same steps above and click on User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Avatar. Follow the prompts just as in the instructions for Profile Picture, above, and remember to click on Save Changes at the bottom.

I note that this page has a note which reads, "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 120 by 120 pixels or 37.5 KB (whichever is smaller)." I'm guessing the note on the Profile Picture page which indicates 7.5kb is a typo. Thanks for catching that, Dan.

TaoJones
Old 24-11-2010, 21:12   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Avatars are 80 x 80 for almost all members - please let me know if you need help loading one or resizing an image to foit
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 05:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
If you were expecting to see the photo in your post, see Janet's second paragraph about uploading an avatar.

It has much smaller limits. 120x120 - 100k.

-dan
Hello,
Yes I did. I dont want an avatar... But in fact (Thanks cyber gods and maybe Janet H) my photo is now accessible when looking at my profile and it is all right like that. I don't mind.
Thanks everybody for your help.