Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2021, 18:05   #76

Boat: Cheoy Lee
Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
I agree about la vag... the one that really disappointed me was Delos, when I found out they would cruise around the world and to ease their discomfort about discussions about being American, they would state they were Canadian. As a red-blooded American vet, that was it for me. Unsubscribed and won’t watch another.

+1 for sailing GBU. Real and learning.
Red-blooded American?
What country in America are you referring to???

You do realize America is a continent NOT a country, don't you???

That's the problem with us red-blooded Americans (Incidently all human blood is red) Most of us who haven't traveled dont know how most of the world views us.
Ignorant, self-absorbed, and rude.
The world doesn't revolve around us big boy
JRSHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 18:12   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroflaherty View Post
The US is definetly in America, but you are way off its so similar to Canada. Canada is under tremendous lockdowns, they don't have Freedom of speech, they have a large wellfare state, etc. They are similar only in language and by proximity. I guess all Central America is the same to you?

As for fishing, if you *live on the water* you have no guilt to feel about fishing if you target sustainable species and for personal consumption. The real damage comes from industrial scale trawlers feeding the mouths of the land locked.
Wrong Big Boy
Canada has free health care -- Some people think that is a right. Actually, ALL developed nations do as well except for one.
They have the guts to lock down - which if we would have done that would have saved 500,000 lives. I guess your little freedom fit was more important than a half million people dieing.

Oh and yes they have freedom of speech, just not that freedom that allows people to start righjts that cause deaths
Old 23-06-2021, 18:18   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by svhydra View Post
hi all; while wishing all the you tube sailors the best, i gotta tell ya i'm weary of all the random e-beggars this format has spawned .
Is ABC and TNT E-beggars?
They are content creators and are paid for it
Old 23-06-2021, 18:49   #79

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Can't stand La Vagabonde, getting tired of Delos.

Lately we've enjoyed RAN Sailing. A very nice, competent Swedish couple who focus on sailing and visiting interesting places not often seen on other shows.

My personal favorite for several years has been following Leo and his crew rebuilding Tally-Ho. He's doing an amazing job with a classic English pilot boat that was converted to a cruiser, spent years in the South Seas and ended up derelict in the US NW.

Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 20:14   #80

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

I stopped watching most of them except for "Sailing GBU". Those two make me feel like I have a wealth of knowledge.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 02:14   #81

I’ve been watching “How to Sail Oceans” single guy fibreglass gaff cutter, no engine.
No T&A just good information and knowledge and a different view on the world.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 02:56   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSHAW View Post
That's the problem with us red-blooded Americans (Incidently all human blood is red) Most of us who haven't traveled dont know how most of the world views us.
Sure, some people sees the USA as all those things, but that's not the only way the USA are seen abroad. They're also often seen in a more positive light, sometime neutral.

You're just as bad as the patriotic "America is the greatest" crowd, you just spew the ideology the left favours that the USA are total trash. Neither is entirely true, both have a kernel of truth.

This from someone who has visited the USA only once in his life, but has to deal with quite a lot of Americans all over the world.

And please don't start with a list of atrocities the USA are responsible for. That's pointless, as any other empire has a just as impressive list and it ignores the fact that there's another list of good things coming out of the USA. The USA are nothing special, just yet another empire failing to rule the world.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 03:31   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I didn't get that from the Wynn's vids at all. They said they were complete novices with no sailing experience. When did they act like experts?
They did a lot of "were novices but this is how you....". Followed by lots of silly things.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 03:37   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSHAW View Post
Red-blooded American?
What country in America are you referring to???

You do realize America is a continent NOT a country, don't you???

The world doesn't revolve around us big boy
If you want to play the pedantic game, it's TWO continents but other than the last 5-10 years of wokeness, no one outside the USA claims to be an American. I suspect 95% of that is from self loathing woke trying to atone for not being woke enough.

Funny thing, the only people I know who claim the world hates Americans have never left the country. We've never experienced anything but warmth and welcome. We've also seen bad behavior among individuals from other nationalities.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 06:45   #85

Just a note:
Whenever one culture rubs up against another you can construct a stereotype, we all have them, Germans, Poms, Yanks, Dutchies and Aussies and yes Asians, Kiwis and South Africans. I try to treat everyone how they treat me and yes I too have my biases.
Just get over it, we all have nationalistic characters that make us cringe.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 07:14   #86

Boat: Caliber 28

Sam Holmes Sailing is definitely the best out there. His videos have no introduction...he just gets right into whatever he's talking about and he actually fixes things and sails. He sailed to Hawaii on a Ranger 23 and now is on his way across the Atlantic.
Rackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 07:35   #87

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Still yet to watch one.
Living our own life and adventures in the real world.
Old 24-06-2021, 07:37   #88

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
I must be a nihilist. Been cruising 22 years, never made a movie, never posted anything, and never watched any of these "Pay me to go cruising" channels.
just 16 years altogether, but agree wholeheartedly!
Old 24-06-2021, 07:52   #89

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackman View Post
Sam Holmes Sailing is definitely the best out there. His videos have no introduction...he just gets right into whatever he's talking about and he actually fixes things and sails. He sailed to Hawaii on a Ranger 23 and now is on his way across the Atlantic.
Agree with that one. He just gets about it, and seems perpetually optimistic- even when things don’t go his way. Someone posited over on SailingAnarchy that “God protects Sam Holmes.” I got a chuckle out of that.

I started with the typical “couple cruises a TINY boat” (assume they are trying to capture the lucrative, emerging tiny home phenomenon with that odd wording as most of the boats are 40’+) videos, but find myself gravitating toward those channels that offer more useful insights. The videos that walk through performing various maintenance/upgrades, etc. at least I can walk away from those videos with new ideas or a kernel of knowledge that can be tried out later.

Boatworks Today is a great one for that - he focuses on glass repair and painting. (I’m binge-watching that one at the moment as I prepare for a near-total recoring of the deck on my 44’ boat)

The Odd Life Crafting isn’t too bad

Expedition Evans was interesting (though they’re transitioning the focus now to “couple cruises on a TINY boat” so we’ll see how that carries on)

And the click-bait thumbnails with bikinis and/or contorted expressions of bewilderment and wacky titles is getting really tiresome, eg: “Are PIRATES about to STEAL my BIKINI top??” . I guess that’s what it takes to get clicks, but it makes Jerry Springer adds seem sophisticated by comparison.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 07:53   #90

Did I read seandepagnier correctly that he approves the theft of Delos'' outboard because the thief is poor! WTF???
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote