Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2021, 05:18   #61

Boat: island packet 38
Re: La Vagabonde - I don't understand

Project Atticus. Now that one started out interesting and simple. Those two staged a very dramatic video including tears and fears. Got their subscribers to contribute to a go fund me account in excess of $100k. Now they are cruising around in a nice paid for Pacific Seacraft. Check out Sam Holmes sailing channel.
Hv2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 06:03   #62

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Trying to stay on topic here ...

I think the YouTube algorithm has a LOT to do with it. Luck of publicity outside of YouTube as well, such as getting a feature on some AU news show.

But honestly, Elayna worked pretty hard for a couple years to get the word out about their channel. And she negotiated the deal with Outremer I believe. Once it hit critical mass it snowballed and they've been freerolling ever since.

Bundle that with the crowd they appeal to, the yuppies with plenty of cash seeking short term glamor experiences, idly sitting at computers, their channel certainly caters to a large slice of the population. I think the vast majority of their viewers are people who would charter a catamaran in the carib for a week, think they were experienced sailors afterward, and tell all their friends on social media how amazing their life is.

Most other liveaboard YouTubers aren't portraying the lifestyle that the Vagabondes are, or the lifestyle that most viewers want to see. Vagabonde's viewers aren't cruisers or liveaboards or even boaters generally speaking. The only people I've talked to that genuinely enjoy their channel are people who don't boat. And I ask them about their boating plans or joining me for a crossing from Florida to the Bahamas or a week in the Bahamas and they all say it's not for them. But the LOOOVVEEE the Vagabondes.

Their channel isn't about boating. It's about a perceived lifestyle and living vicariously through them.
Great Insights
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 06:10   #63
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Trying to stay on topic here ...

I think the YouTube algorithm has a LOT to do with it. Luck of publicity outside of YouTube as well, such as getting a feature on some AU news show.

But honestly, Elayna worked pretty hard for a couple years to get the word out about their channel. And she negotiated the deal with Outremer I believe. Once it hit critical mass it snowballed and they've been freerolling ever since.

Bundle that with the crowd they appeal to, the yuppies with plenty of cash seeking short term glamor experiences, idly sitting at computers, their channel certainly caters to a large slice of the population. I think the vast majority of their viewers are people who would charter a catamaran in the carib for a week, think they were experienced sailors afterward, and tell all their friends on social media how amazing their life is.

Most other liveaboard YouTubers aren't portraying the lifestyle that the Vagabondes are, or the lifestyle that most viewers want to see. Vagabonde's viewers aren't cruisers or liveaboards or even boaters generally speaking. The only people I've talked to that genuinely enjoy their channel are people who don't boat. And I ask them about their boating plans or joining me for a crossing from Florida to the Bahamas or a week in the Bahamas and they all say it's not for them. But the LOOOVVEEE the Vagabondes.

Their channel isn't about boating. It's about a perceived lifestyle and living vicariously through them.

We aren’t Yuppies with lots of cash, have never chartered a cat, have lived aboard and cruised cats for almost 30 years and still seem to enjoy La Vagabond.
We must be the one out of all the millions that don’t fit your stereotypical La Vagabond viewers. We offer no excuses or apologies.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 06:49   #64

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroflaherty View Post
The US is definetly in America, but you are way off its so similar to Canada. Canada is under tremendous lockdowns, they don't have Freedom of speech, they have a large wellfare state, etc. They are similar only in language and by proximity. I guess all Central America is the same to you?

As for fishing, if you *live on the water* you have no guilt to feel about fishing if you target sustainable species and for personal consumption. The real damage comes from industrial scale trawlers feeding the mouths of the land locked.
Wow. Didn't know I was under some crippling lockdown. My restaurant is open as it was last year. My boat is in the water and I was at the marina yesterday and it is as it was last year. But if you listen to the bs it isn't anyone else fault that you are uninformed. We have had some areas under lockdown but it was totally avoidable if they had chosen to listen to those with the real science based knowledge.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 06:58   #65

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Wow. Didn't know I was under some crippling lockdown. My restaurant is open as it was last year. My boat is in the water and I was at the marina yesterday and it is as it was last year. But if you listen to the bs it isn't anyone else fault that you are uninformed. We have had some areas under lockdown but it was totally avoidable if they had chosen to listen to those with the real science based knowledge.
NF has been locked down for the best part of 15 months no one in or out (the Atlantic bubble) We personally have friends that have not been allowed into Atlantic provinces even to care for dying relatives. We have a Mod here who hasn't been allowed back to his boat in NF since the first lock downs began. The Country is still not allowing boarder entry. Most provinces have been in and out of lockdown for the last 15 months at various times.

some of the lockdown and transmission has been avoidable definitely (variants from other parts of the world might have been slowed if the border rtestrictions were real) but NF benefits from isolation and low population in these situations. The vast majority of the country is in a different situation than NF,
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 06:59   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moana Bella View Post
Did some folks get out of bed on the wrong side today?
Or is it a case of heaping **** on the cool kids, in the hope of appearing even cooler?
I'm scratching my head as to why I even read through this thread, but here's a go at answering the OP:
La Vagabond are very successful on You Tube because:
- They have defined their audience, and consistently deliver content that is valued by that audience.
- They have worked hard consistently for years - published well over 400 videos last l looked, and are now rewarded by the You Tube algorithm delivering new recruits.
- They are good at what they do. This is YouTube - not high art, or hard core marine expertise. You just gotta post videos.
- You Tube videos primarily offer value in 2 ways - to entertain or educate. They primarily entertain with visually beautiful images of exotic locations and beautiful people. I certainly have put a few locations such as Bahamas and Azores on my "must go" list as a result.
I don't own a bikini, I'm not young, cool, beautiful, rich, or a couch potato.
I own a boat, sail a lot, and will be living/sailing full time in a couple of months.
But I like them, (and the Wynns) so there you have it. Stereotype smashed.
👍👍👍👍 I think some forget the concept of entertainment and how it isn't the same for everyone.
Old 23-06-2021, 07:08   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
NF has been locked down for the best part of 15 months no one in or out (the Atlantic bubble) We personally have friends that have not been allowed into Atlantic provinces even to care for dying relatives. We have a Mod here who hasn't been allowed back to his boat in NF since the first lock downs began. The Country is still not allowing boarder entry. Most provinces have been in and out of lockdown for the last 15 months at various times.

some of the lockdown and transmission has been avoidable definitely (variants from other parts of the world might have been slowed if the border rtestrictions were real) but NF benefits from isolation and low population in these situations. The vast majority of the country is in a different situation than NF,
No doubt but we are part of Canada and I'm commenting on how it has changed my every day and it amounts to wearing a mask when out and about. I've actually done some additional work on commercial boats during this time.
Old 23-06-2021, 07:08   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Those vids that the Wynns did on looking for and then buying their boat were really informative. They gave us the details on price, escrow fees, upgrades etc and they actually paid for their boat themselves but I'm sure money made on the channel helped.
Those left me cringing as they got so many things wrong in those videos but acted as if they were experts.

Go back and watch their early RV videos about solar...it's so bad even Tammy was laughing about what they got wrong and she doesn't have a clue about the solar systems.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 07:19   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
There are a lot of the sailing Tube channels that have just become too focused on money ,sure if one of the big sail manufacturer wanted to do me a deal on new sails I'd be interested
We often lose interest when channels transition to an obvious for profit pattern. It's like the 1950's news show where the announcer stops takes a big puff and then gushes about marlboro cigarettes.

I don't object to them making a bit of money but be honest about it. Don't try to scam me into thinking you are talking about it simply because it's a great product when it's obvious, you are hawking it for profit. The most profitable channels tend to live for the channel rather than record their life.

My bet is La Vagabonde is at the top mostly because they were early to market. They put out a decent quality product but nothing special As others have said, it becomes a self reinforcing cycle.
- They have lots of views, so advertisers seek them out.
- Because advertisers are seeking them out, youtube's algorithm pushes their videos increasing their views which increases the advertisers and so on.

On a side note: A lot of youtube travel related stuff has gotten pretty bad. Most channels run a month or two behind, so thru June/July 2020, it was OK and then there were the videos of people escaping a covid destination...after that, it started to go downhill, you got rehashes using B-roll video and what they are doing in lockdown...but it really did undermine the quality. Hopefully, as things are opening up, people are starting to generate fresh content as they do their first travels post covid.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 11:10   #70

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Unsubscribed them when they got Greata-ed over the Atlantic.
Old 23-06-2021, 11:49   #71

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Those left me cringing as they got so many things wrong in those videos but acted as if they were experts.

Go back and watch their early RV videos about solar...it's so bad even Tammy was laughing about what they got wrong and she doesn't have a clue about the solar systems.

I didn't get that from the Wynn's vids at all. They said they were complete novices with no sailing experience. When did they act like experts?
Old 23-06-2021, 11:49   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
Can anyone enlighten me as to why they are soooo far ahead in YT subs?
if you want flesh there are more sexy channels,
if you want info there are way more informative channels,
if you want videography there are much better channels.

Is it simply because they were one of the first?

And BTW how come I knew that they were getting a Rapido 18 mths ago? I thought it was common knowledge...
Probably because they've been putting in the work for a long, long time. Also, as said, people rarely go through the effort to unsubscribe. If you stop watching videos, YouTube stops feeding them to you as much, so you might even forget you're subscribed to some channels. I really enjoyed their earlier content. Once they got the cat, you could tell Riley was really stressed and under pressure to make sure they kept subscribers, increased viewership, etc. He was noticeably more relaxed and the channel felt less contrived when they were on the paid off monohull and didn't have a pressure to perform.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 14:05   #73

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
I must be a nihilist. Been cruising 22 years, never made a movie, never posted anything, and never watched any of these "Pay me to go cruising" channels.
+1
I would rather go sailing any day than watch YouTube videos.
I never understood why anyone would want to sit at home and watch someone else have fun when they can get out there and do it themselves.

S/V Finlandia
Old 23-06-2021, 14:10   #74

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
+1

I never understood why anyone would want to sit at home and watch someone else have fun when they can get out there and do it themselves.

S/V Finlandia

The mind is finicky, the will is weak, YouTube provide scape just like this group chat does. No different than watching the soccer match or a movie. It provides 20 minutes of entertainment at a zero cost. Can’t beat that on days when sailing is just not possible
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 14:23   #75

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
+1

S/V Finlandia
So basically you don’t understand TV or movies either. It’s all just entertainment.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote