Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2011, 00:50   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
I have noticed Kelsall has not updated his website in last 12 mths.

Have tried his website a couple of times today and nothing happening.

Site may just be down for maintaince.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 01:03   #17
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
It's working fine for me..
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 02:33   #18

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Kelsall Equateur 45

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about this Kelsall design. Seems like a lot of boat for the money ? $250000
Ahh. here's the catch. Check out the headroom. Probably sails quite well. Low profile bridge deck cabin but man, wouldn't take me long to smash my head to bits on that companion way.
Everythings a compromise.

jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 22:56   #19

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran
I own ocean jedi, a Kelsall designed 58' Catamaran built by Ballotta in Peru. Pictures on facebook under "ocean jedi". Its a fantastic boat design, although i did have some issue with the installation of some of the equipment (the hull and construction were fine).
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:57   #20

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american
Curious how you're determining headroom for this boat - based on the picture alone? It's one of several boats I'm hoping to see next time I travel to Thailand/Malaysia. Being 6'2" (barefoot) headroom is of some concern. Other aspects of the boat seem absolutely great.
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 22:01   #21

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Quote:
Curious how you're determining headroom for this boat - based on the picture alone? It's one of several boats I'm hoping to see next time I travel to Thailand/Malaysia. Being 6'2" (barefoot) headroom is of some concern. Other aspects of the boat seem absolutely great.
I contacted Derek Kelsall and he sent me an email and replied as follows..

"this design goes back a long way. Long story - I did not know that it
had been built till a few months ago when it came on the market.

The drawings are pre CAD. and stored away and not easy to sort
through. Almost certainly there is 6 ft. in the middle of the saloon.

All looks good to me and good value - assuming the builder did not
change my materials spec."- Derek Kelsall

So, I could be wrong. The picture might be distorted but if you look at the chairs compared to the height of the sliding doors, I think it indicates limited headroom at least in the companion way. Either that or those are the biggest chairs I have ever seen.

Good luck, I'm not interested in buying the boat but I would love to know if i am right about the headroom.

So, if you do have a look at it, please post the real story.

Of course , you could always ring the owner and ask. But where is the fun in that ?
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 22:23   #22

Really appreciate you posting that response from DK. I've been meaning to write and inquire about origin and general feedback. You saved me that (for now). The broker (Pippen Marine) sent me some additional info, but I've not received a reply to my last round of questions. I'm taking that to mean "come see it if you're really interested", which is what we plan to do next chance we get. Will certainly post the story of that viewing when/if it happens.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:38   #23

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
So how did that visit go?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 00:42   #24

Re: Kelsall Designs

As I understand it, this particular boat has already sold. Had been tracking it for a while on several broker sites, then noticed they all started marking it sold.

Anyway, our trip is scheduled for the end of the month (20th-30th of April) and we'll be in Phuket getting various ASA certifications. All this was meant to go towards an extended life at sea - but fortunes changed, my business DIDN'T go under, I won't be cashing out any time soon, and the only "sales" I'll be trimming are related to our online games.
Old 15-04-2011, 21:26   #25

Boat: building small boats at present

Overpriced plans, over rated construction method,made to look easy, fast to build and the only way to go. The system has been around for a long, long, long time and for something that was (thirty years ago ) supposed to be the DUCKS GUTS,makes you wonder why it is constantly being altered. What a drainer of a way to build a boat!!
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 04:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
Overpriced plans, over rated construction method,made to look easy, fast to build and the only way to go. The system has been around for a long, long, long time and for something that was (thirty years ago ) supposed to be the DUCKS GUTS,makes you wonder why it is constantly being altered. What a drainer of a way to build a boat!!
I have built or helped build over 100 cedar strip boats and numerous ply and foam ones using most of the common techniques. I used to write the same sort of stuff you are. Then I attended a KSS demo, along with a bunch of amateurs and 3 other died in the wool strip plankers, one of whom was also a designer. We were all convinced KSS was the way of the future and none of us have built or designed any other way since.

KSS is very simple and quick. It is constantly being altered as Derek discovers better ways of doing it. This is a good thing, not a bad one. For example, infusion was not known 30 years ago and the shaping technique is far easier than it used to be.

Wetting out and vac bagging a 15m/50' x 4m/14' panel in 25 minutes with no mess and minimal wastage makes every other laminating technique look stupid. We are now adding all the local stiffening and reinforcing, strong points, solids, cockpit seats, rebates for hatches and windows, landings for bulkheads, bearings and furniture and male/female hull to deck joins. All within 1-2mms accuracy.

I am now drawing boats with no secomdary laminating at all. Everything is laminated on the table, under vacuum. Components are then glued inmatched joins (no clamping or fastenings). The weight and labour savings are immense. The 15m we are currently building weighs 500 kgs and costs $35,000, plus rig.

I have no idea whether Derek's plans are expensive compared to others, but any extra money will very soon be recouped.

rob
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 05:40   #27

Boat: custom Kelsall Suncat 40 MKII

We finished our build of the Kelsall SunCat 40 last fall. We will be relaunching this summer. Turned out to be a beautiful boat. Here is the link for some pictures.
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - nassaw's Albums
Pictures and video of the launch are on Face book.
nassaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 22:23   #28

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Thanks for the photos. We are also currently cruising on a sun cat 40 in the Caribbean. What is your facebook link or name?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 06:04   #29

Boat: custom Kelsall Suncat 40 MKII

Jimbo485
You can look for Martiel or Bob Crepeau...or go to www.theheartofthesunrise.com.
Did you build this boat you are on? We would love to see some photos as well.
nassaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 23:42   #30

Boat: Kelsall 40

Seem to be quite a few Suncat 40s on here. Here's mine (arriving in St Lucia at the end of ARC 2001

Tags
kelsall