Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2009, 10:06   #151
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

I think we should all take a deep breath and recognize how lucky we are to have and to hold the beautiful ladies that take us to sea. To recognize that the next person is bound to feel the same way about his own special lady; and, to try to remember that simple truth before we point out that she might be a little overweight, or a little less agile etc. than our own.

I guess what I am saying is that we should temper our comments and try not to express our opinions as absolutes, especially when they are, or can be taken as a generic slur. Please don't get me wrong, I know that I have been found wanting in that regard as well, from time to time. But ultimately, who knows sin better than the sinner?

Brad
beautifully stated!
Old 16-07-2009, 10:23   #152

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Amen Brother!
Old 16-07-2009, 11:47   #153

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Be Grateful!!

I wish I had what you have. As it is, I'm only a sweat equity partner with this boat. Therefore, I can only wish for my own! Be glad for what you do have! There are those of us who wish and dream with no fulfilment in sight and are only left as adulterers, loving another man's mistress!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 16-07-2009, 12:30   #154
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
LOVING MY MISTRESS?.....I think not. You can go for a ride, but don't love her. That's my job. You can lust for her, but leave me the loving part....oh the shame of it allllllllll........i2f
Old 16-07-2009, 12:30   #155

Boat: Privilege 37
Most catamarans are VERY expensive. I am not going to say what I paid for mine. But, there was a new electric version that was shown at most of the major boat shows by the Catamaran Co. It's listed price was something like $435,000 That is just nuts for a 39 foot boat! Yeah, it was VERY nice, but 39 feet!!! 500k!

So yeah, the spare engine and all those amenities do come at a significant cost. But, the original poster asked about safety! And I still contend sailing away from sight of land is inherently less safe than staying on land, even in a destroyer, (especially in an air craft carrier, you should see some of the mortality and injury rates in those things. VERY dangerous!) I still believe it is not that the boat can't take it, it's the crew that can't!

Keith
Old 16-07-2009, 12:56   #156
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I just wonder why some people are rude enough to disrespect my choice in my mistress? At least mine has 2 legs
I2F
Now That is funny!
Do you mind if I steal that one for later use?

John
Old 16-07-2009, 13:00   #157

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Ditto! Out-f*ing-rageous!
Old 16-07-2009, 13:03   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
LOVING MY MISTRESS?.....I think not. You can go for a ride, but don't love her. That's my job. You can lust for her, but leave me the loving part....oh the shame of it allllllllll........i2f
You know most people get shot fer that here in Texas, ridin another man's mistress....
Old 16-07-2009, 13:23   #159

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
And I still contend sailing away from sight of land is inherently less safe than staying on land, even in a destroyer
Anyone who thinks this has never been to Trenton, New Jersey!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 16-07-2009, 14:13   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Agreed. What bothers me is the wild claims based on no evidence, of which there have been plenty here from the pro-catamaran crowd too.
Care to quote some of these "wild claims"?
Old 16-07-2009, 15:10   #161

Boat: deboated
SOUTHERN STAR - "And yes, many monohulls tend to give more bang for the buck than many monohulls, especially in the used market"
Obviously you are a politician or ex Polly with that answer again evading the question about the cost of Cats. Not sure about the "Blowing Trumpet" you attributed to me as I did not write such a comment that I could find but again add a bit here and leave out elsewhere.
Old 16-07-2009, 15:32   #162

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
As for Cat boat prices... blame yourselves. It's you mono guys who are driving the prices of our boats up...not us. So quit buying so many Catamarans and the prices will level out.
Ah yes, the great catamaran pricing bubble of 2009

Pricing driven to the moon by Irrational exuberance

When will the bubble burst and catamaran prices revert to the mean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housing-bubble.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	8961  
Old 16-07-2009, 17:08   #163

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Original Question Answer: Yes, cats can be sailed offshore very safely. This has been clearly proven by thousands of vessels over decades of sailing.

BTW- The war is over and cats have won. Monohullers will continue to convert to cats for the next decade or more, but the trend will not work in the reverse. You will not be seeing a mass exodus of cat owners switching back to monohulls in our lifetimes. The acquisition price for catamarans is the main limitation of a much bigger market shift from monohulls to catamarans. :

Do I like monohulls? Absolutly, I think they are great, but not better than a cat for cruising.
Old 16-07-2009, 18:20   #164
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
SOUTHERN STAR - as I have pointed out previously cats are very expensive compared to monohulls. The same arguments about there ++s are given all the time such as they do not sink, more room, sail upright etc. But what about the price?? The silence is deafening! Like a lot of things in life if you have the money then you can buy all sorts of toys and comfort items but the reality for most is a modest income which makes a large difference to most people's thinking. Yes a nice Cat sailing flat with lots of room to party etc would be nice but unaffordable for most and it would be nice if you Cat lovers kept that in mind before blowing your trumpet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Meyermm, I have not been 'blowing my trumpet'. I have not suggested that cats are superior to monos with respect to safety, nor even that they are better suited for all sailing conditions, or all sailors. I have only suggested that cats ARE safe for world cruising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
SOUTHERN STAR - Not sure about the "Blowing Trumpet" you attributed to me as I did not write such a comment that I could find but again add a bit here and leave out elsewhere.
Southern Star composed a gracious post wherein he made a valiant effort to calm the waters and get this lame thread back on track. If it is your intention to slap away the hand of friendship that was extended to you because you wish to keep the battle raging, this thread can easily be closed. Perhaps it should be anyway, as nothing useful to the OP has been posted in quite awhile and he seems to have wandered off somewhere anyway.

TaoJones
Old 16-07-2009, 18:45   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Perhaps it should be anyway, as nothing useful to the OP has been posted in quite awhile and he seems to have wandered off somewhere anyway.
The drift of a thread has it's own course. The lack of a good breeze often wanders the course.
Closed Thread