Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2017, 03:58   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Is an Island packet cat right for me?

There is also on old thead here on Packet Cats:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...iew-23614.html
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 06:25   #17

HI Jim, I do think you are correct about the slamming, as I can honestly say we have never had a problem with our Catalac 10M (34") slamming, but then I guess we have always just changed course a bit. Plus, my sailing in the Pacific NW and doing the capes was on a monohull and I have done a lot of slamming in a monohull. To the IP owner who mentioned the IPs and Prouts are faster than the Catalacs, I just wanted to know where this information was obtained. That questioned, I am not on a sailboat to go fast, mainly on the Cat for comfort. Lynn
Lynnfairwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 22:00   #18

Is this corrosiom normal or is it excessive?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1511416347175.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	159556  
Dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 04:48   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Is an Island packet cat right for me?

Entirely normal, you can clean it off if you like, I did as I didn’t like the way it looked. I then covered it with Corrosion-X, but bronze like that will last nearly forever looking like that.
The hose however may be a little suspect, I am not familiar with hose that looks like that.
Forgot the name, but that is a very good / expensive strainer, boats in the IP’s price range are supposed to use good components
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 05:42   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

There is no real corrosion there at all, but like a64 notes, the hose isn’t really desirable for below the waterline.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 15:18   #21

I looked at an IP Cat 35’ prior to purchasing my monohull. I’m a live aboard fulltime & it wasn’t large enough for that IMHO. The second pontoon would be used for storage as I’m solo, and the access is through a tight doorway, down a few steps & a hard 90 degree turn. I measured it out, and it would be tough to stow anything large. The main cool thing is it’s a twin screw Cat that can fit in a standard marina slip- that’s a HUGE money saver in a Marina. I was also not crazy about the galley sink. It’s a big round single bowl, right in the middle of the cabin. I understand that’s so it’ll drain on either tack, but I found the placement & amount of real estate it occupies to be a negative.
Old 13-05-2021, 16:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
I looked at an IP Cat 35’ prior to purchasing my monohull. I’m a live aboard fulltime & it wasn’t large enough for that IMHO. The second pontoon would be used for storage as I’m solo, and the access is through a tight doorway, down a few steps & a hard 90 degree turn. I measured it out, and it would be tough to stow anything large. The main cool thing is it’s a twin screw Cat that can fit in a standard marina slip- that’s a HUGE money saver in a Marina. I was also not crazy about the galley sink. It’s a big round single bowl, right in the middle of the cabin. I understand that’s so it’ll drain on either tack, but I found the placement & amount of real estate it occupies to be a negative.
What kind of catamaran heels enough that you need to design sink placement around it? Good grief, if that's the case than the sink placement is the least of the issues with the overall boat design!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 17:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
What kind of catamaran heels enough that you need to design sink placement around it? Good grief, if that's the case than the sink placement is the least of the issues with the overall boat design!
Bear in mind the beam is just 14’- same as my 42’ Catalina, and she’s a 37’ waterline, so, I’m guessing this Cat heels as far as Cats go. It’s an IP so built extremely well, but, me thinks the Chevy Volt of Catamarans. Cool concept, but didn’t sell based on design inherent shortcomings.
Old 13-05-2021, 17:36   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
Bear in mind the beam is just 14’- same as my 42’ Catalina, and she’s a 37’ waterline, so, I’m guessing this Cat heels as far as Cats go. It’s an IP so built extremely well, but, me thinks the Chevy Volt of Catamarans. Cool concept, but didn’t sell based on design inherent shortcomings.

The beam on the Packet Cat is 15’ and waterline length is 31’. A nice live aboard design, but with the delta pod more of a barge than 2 separate hulls at the waterline.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 18:50   #25

Thank you for the correction. Specifics aside, it’s a blocky design, but still fits in a stands slip. That was the gist.

Tags
island packet