Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 20:18   #91

Re: I think we settled on a Gemini, change my mind

Most ops commenting here are not going to cross an ocean(or anything) in anything (and never have) lol
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 20:41   #92

Op named SJM or such. Why would you buy a second Gemini if the first was unsafe because of capsizing? One would think you learned from the first???????lol
Old 21-07-2020, 20:44   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan8 View Post
Forgive the meme'ish title. Just more so mean, "is there anything else we should be looking at that is better or just as good?"

We basically are looking to get our "first boat" and the wife is semi-claustrophobic.

We will originally use it as a liveaboard while she is still working. She lives out of town and we (10-year-old daughter and I) visit on weekends.

We will learn to sail, learn if this life is for us and then save up for a nicer cruise the world option after those things are answered.

So right now with a sub 50k budget, the Gemini seems to be the right fit.

Are we overlooking another gem that might be right for "getting our feet wet"?
You could get a Searunner 38-however they are made of plywood and might burn up, delaminate or rot out . Plus all of them are built by amateur builders I believe.
Old 21-07-2020, 21:01   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Memory is a tricky little sucker, especially as we get older. Either the earlier versions were more prone to flipping and none are around today or the memory might be a little off? Because there certainly isn't a record of 15 flipping in recent times. In fact the only ones I know of flipped in a tornado and due to a hull breach unrelated to it being a Gemini.

And interestingly I note that in a post in 2016 here you claimed you knew of 8-9 that had flipped. Seems the number has almost doubled in the last 4 years.....but how could that be since the 15 flips you now know about supposedly happened prior to 15 years ago, so prior to your 2016 post stating 8-9 had flipped in all of Gemini history?(https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-160504-6.html)
Come on SMJ answer -tell us of the recent 7-8 flips in past 4 years come on . BTW- why would you buy a second Gem if the first was unsafe due to flipping out???whwhywhy
Old 22-07-2020, 03:53   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Memory is a tricky little sucker, especially as we get older. Either the earlier versions were more prone to flipping and none are around today or the memory might be a little off? Because there certainly isn't a record of 15 flipping in recent times. In fact the only ones I know of flipped in a tornado and due to a hull breach unrelated to it being a Gemini.

And interestingly I note that in a post in 2016 here you claimed you knew of 8-9 that had flipped. Seems the number has almost doubled in the last 4 years.....but how could that be since the 15 flips you now know about supposedly happened prior to 15 years ago, so prior to your 2016 post stating 8-9 had flipped in all of Gemini history?(https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-160504-6.html)

Maybe it was 8-9, like I said the memory. The ones I recall are
2 flipped at different times motor sailing in Mississippi Sound
1 flipped of the panhandle of Florida
The one of St Johns river
One of West Palm Beach
One of Naples.
One of these was definitely a 3200 and one definitely a 105, the others I’m not sure about.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 15:49   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglebike View Post
Much wider beam on the Flica though (19' vs 14') - so much more space and stability but no fitting into standard marina slips.

How big is the master berth in the Gemini out of curiosity? Always seemed like an insane amount of space for a 33' boat. Similar to a 45-50' monohull really. Amazing packaging job with just the 14' of beam.
Its queensize I just bought a mattress for mine
Old 22-07-2020, 15:52   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Its queensize I just bought a mattress for mine
I had a Woods 36 ---no cabin between hulls--hulls slammed like crazy in a chop. not even as fast as my Gem 105M All Woods designs are homebuilt except the very old Palamos ones
Old 22-07-2020, 16:01   #98

I referenced SJM "flipping" assertions to the Gemini forum which is main@geminicatamarans.groups.io/g/main we will see what they say about his claims that 15 Geminis have capsized-- "flipped"--- as he says. Maybe he also flipped somehow.
Old 22-07-2020, 16:03   #99
smj

Quote:
I referenced SJM "flipping" assertions to the Gemini forum which is main@geminicatamarans.groups.io/g/main we will see what they say about his claims that 15 Geminis have capsized-- "flipped"--- as he says. Maybe he also flipped somehow.

I also remember 3 others
One flipped in between the Keys and Bahamas
One flipped in a race in Gt Britain
And one time we also passed Sea Tow towing an upside down Gemini on the bay side of the Keys.
That makes 9 and I’m sure there are more?
Old 22-07-2020, 16:13   #100

Why would SMJ buy a second Gemini when so many were 'flipping" all around him?? He wont answer this -anyone ??
Old 22-07-2020, 16:14   #101
smj

Quote:
Why would SMJ buy a second Gemini when so many were 'flipping" all around him?? He wont answer this -anyone ??

Took the second on a trade.
I’ve never been a Gemini basher, I think they are great boats for what they’re intended for. I’m just realistic.
Old 22-07-2020, 18:50   #102

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

The results so far on the Gemini Forums on Gems that have flipped,
but not due to Hurricanes or Cyclones, are so far,

One in a race in the UK, Too much sail for the conditions,

Key West to Texas, Buried the bow and pitched poled over, Too much sail up,

Florida to Bahamas, Too much sail up in the conditions, Steve Phillips Gem,

Diana Bolton sank her 4th Gem of 5 Gems, Near Marco Island in 10 feet of water,
Water spout flipped it over, 10 to 17 knots of wind on a great day for sailing,
Freak Accident, 2006, She bought her 5th gem within a year of that sinking,

I also seen a video in a storm, All thru the video, The voice said the Gemini is overturned and sinking,
Then right at the end, It mentioned that it was actually a Prout that had sunk, Not a Gemini,

Not a manufacturing fault by any means if the person sailing them do stupid things resulting in a sinking,

You cant blame the boat for stupidity and sailing Incompetence, ,

Not a bad record for 1200 odd Gemini's that have been built,

None, That have just fallen to pieces or broken up from Manufacturing Faults,

I still cant find any evidence of the Bulkheads giving way and falling to bits on the Gemini's either,

My Gem got both the hulls smashed to bits on the rocks and have been fully repaired,
The rest of the boat is still structurally sound and I have tested it in 40 knot plus winds in a Violent storm I went thru in Bass Strait,
That was one wild ride, Hahahaha

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 20:18   #103

I had a Gem 105mc for 2 years and loved it. Fast, fun, easy to manage, and slips easy to find. If you can find one in good shape for 50k you will love it. It handles difficult seas and is fairly simple to maintain. You will find tricks to overcome its few issues. I.e . Go forward over the coachroof and avoid the narrow sides. Th Air Con is a bit noisy, but at least you'll have it. The auto pilot is external, but it beats manual steering and performs great. We carried a preditor 2k generator and powered whatever we needed. The solid forward bridge deck offers great space, great storage and welcome space. The galley is very functional. If you're over age 50, getting out of the rear bunks will make you notice your age, but not impossible. My 67 year old knees didn't like climbing the stairs sideways, but overall great boat. Was out in serious weather several times and never felt unsafe. Moved up to a Lagoon 440, but still miss the shallow draft of Gemini and the freedom it offered.
profitt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 21:21   #104
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings all,

Being a proud Solaris Sunrise 36’ sport owner I am a fan of “pocket” catamarans, we previously owned a Lagoon 35 CCC, and am not out to support the idea that they all either have or will soon capsize. I am of the belief that all boats are good/bad in their own way and it is up to the owner/perspective owner to decide what is right for them and their situation. I do know that a Gemini cat did capsize in Puget sound south of Seattle many moons ago. A woman was “trapped” in the now overturned, but still floating, hull and was rescued when firefighters chopped a hole in the hull with an ax/chainsaw to allow her to escape. The main reason I know this is because the vessel was then towed to the marina, at which I later worked, and was hauled, hull repaired, and returned, right side up, to service where it was moored in the Des Moines marina by its new owners for many years thereafter. As to how or why it flipped, I haven’t a clue. If you wish to research further it was named, ironically, “Stray Cat” at the time of it’s capsizing. I think the new owners subsequently changed the name but of that I am not certain.

As to the original post in this thread, you might check into Solaris Catamarans. Not many out there and not well liked or adored by many but there are a few of us loyal followers around.

We looked at a few Gemini’s, Island packet cats and a few others prior to purchasing the lagoon 35 and we found the lagoon to be a much nicer boat for our needs, all be it much more expensive. As to the Solaris decision.........well let’s say it was purchased for merely a song and I am two years into what will likely be a 3-4 year rebuild. A retirement project if you will.

Safe journeys to all,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 04:38   #105

Boat: Tartan 40

It’s just physics- and a narrow catamaran that sails well in light breeze like a Gemini is vulnerable to capsize if caught in too much breeze with full sail. Most charter type cats minimize this risk by being underpowered in light air and by being wider and heavier.

So reef early and always look out for sudden squalls.

Everyone always focuses on capsize risk in cats. It’s never 0 but it’s pretty small so I think other factors should be considered first.
I believe the main knock on Gems is low bridge deck clearance?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini