Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 22:58   #1

Dean 400 - Can Anyone Advise ?

Hello, we're a family of five experienced monohull sailors in New Zealand, looking to buy a cruising catamaran to circumnavigate. We're looking at a Dean 400 that's for sale. Being multihull novices, we're looking for any advice about this yacht. Any advice at all would be very welcome (we're struggling to get an independant view of the Dean 400). Can anyone help? regards, Fred and Rebecca
fredandrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Fred and Rebecca, I have neither sailed nor been on one, but from the line drawings/photos off the net I can make a few observations:

1. Bridgedeck clearance seems to be better than many other 40 foot cruising cats. While there is a 'knuckle'/protrusion on the insides of the hulls to increase interior accomodation, it is not as large as on many other cats (including the Catanas, which are proven offshore vessels).

2. Having said that, the accomodation/decking is pushed quite far forward. This will tend to increase pounding at the leading edge of the bridgedeck and, put more weight where it is needed the least. You should definintely try to get out in her for a test sail, preferably in conditions with some decent chop to see how she performs. Also understand the the forward doubles will likely be unusable in all but the calmest conditions while offshore.

3. The vinyl headliners, while common in earlier cats, are a nuisance: you will inevitably need to replace them due to sagging/failed adhesives.

4. Published displacement figures seem a little on the high side for a cat of that length; nevertheless, published displacement figures are notoriously underestimated and it may be that these are just closer to reality.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:26   #3

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I've been aboard the more modern Deans. They tend to have a nice finish, lots of room, and very heavy with a solid foredeck. Their mast is far more raked than other multis, from what I've heard it helps with their upwind performance.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 14:43   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
The February issue of "Blue Water Sailing" has a letter in the Reader's Forum section you will be interested in reading. Also of interest to you: The Multihull Experience - SailNet Community. Both discuss bridge deck height and pounding.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 02:44   #5

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time
Seems to be a lot of similarity to Prouts in the way the foredeck is pushed forrard although the Dean 40' does have a very small ''vestigial" trampoline. Seems to contradict design of most other modern cats where the trend is to maximise buoyancy forrard to help bows lift so they dont bury when being driven or going down a wave. Also not sure how they perform if they cop a greenie over the bows as will not drain as quickly as a trampoline.

The newer 44' version seems to be basically the same but with extended transom boarding steps and cockpit. Dont know if that has improved performance (or lifted the bows by adding weight at the stern?).

I always wonder though about designers who are completely different to everyone else (extended foredeck, heavily raked mast etc). Are they right and everyone else wrong?
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 07:25   #6

Very strange,
From the 4 people that have replied:
3 have negative comments.
And from those 3, two are monohull sailors.
DOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 13:54   #7

Quoting:
Very strange,
From the 4 people that have replied:
3 have negative comments.
And from those 3, two are monohull sailors.

Maybe thou leapest to conclusions. For my part I own a mono because I cant afford an offshore cat at the moment. However I sail a wide range of other boats including cats and love cats. However I consider that bridgedeck clearance, foredeck design and weight distribution are critical in cat design / sailing. If you disagree with what I said please elucidate why. Not all cats are perfect and by discussions such as on this board it helps those who dont own a particular cat to understand their virtues and their vices. Not even cats are perfect.
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 15:22   #8

Boat: dean 400 catamaran 40 ft Quick Silver
Re: Dean 400 - can anyone advise?

I own a dean 400 and last year myself and 4 friends sailed from miami to Newfoundlandland Canada, about 3200miles. We had bad weather at the start with Northest winds for the first 2 weeks. This slowed us down alot and caused the waves to be quite choppy. We got into about 16 foot waves with northeast winds of about 40knots off norfolk for about 8 hours and the boat did very well. The waves broke on her a few times and no problems. Also the bridge deck is about 36inches high so the slapping was not bad at all. Over the 8hrs the waves hit the bridge deck no more that 4-5 times. I remember because it is an awful sound and you feel the boat rise up. One reason the sails are raked back as much is to put the center of gravity to the aft a bit more and aids in lifting the front of the boat out of the water, hence less slapping. she does go up wind very well almost as well at a mono, actually in 15knots just as well i would say I have raced many monohulls in past summer going into the wind. In winds 5knots or less not so good, actually it moves hardly at all. 15knots of wind you can get 7knots. 15-20 you can get 10-11knots.
The second half of the trip took 7 days, from cape cod to newfoundland about 1600miles. we had good winds water not rough only 5-8foot waves and also did a bit of surfing got her upto 15 knots at times.

My opinion very good boat and feels like a tank, rock solid

Follow your dreams and do the things you say you would love to do.
donhodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 12:40   #9

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Re: Dean 400 - can anyone advise?

Fred and Rebecca,

I haven't sailed a Dean 400 but went aboard one a few years ago at the La Rochelle boatshow and was vowed by the space and finish of this cat.

Also have a look at the Dean section on www. multihulls four us dot com for more info.
Old 02-11-2013, 13:20   #10

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
Re: Dean 400 - Can Anyone Advise ?

I am considering a Dean 400 in great shape and for 135k ... Does it get any better than that in this market?
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
I am considering a Dean 400 in great shape and for 135k ... Does it get any better than that in this market?

Dean 40's tend to sell for less as they are a "bit different." I looked at one a few years back that was selling well below anything comparable but got cold feet. Remember they cannot take the ground otherwise the keels will be pushed through the hulls so you will lose one advantage of cats.

Wishing you good luck whatever you decide!

TwT
Old 02-11-2013, 16:16   #12

What do u mean by they can't take the ground otherwise the keel will be pushed through the hull ???
Old 02-11-2013, 16:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhodd View Post
What do u mean by they can't take the ground otherwise the keel will be pushed through the hull ???

When I was looking at one I had heard rumours about this so I rang the Dean factory in South Africa and they confirmed that the 40 is not designed to be beached, it has to be sling lifted.

TwT
Old 02-11-2013, 16:31   #14

Yes sling lifted but then they sit on their keels once the slings come off.
Old 02-11-2013, 19:43   #15

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

By all accounts these Deans are built like tanks, I imagine all manufacturers would say their boats aren't meant to be beached?
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote