Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 01:02   #3376

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Just going to lob this one in here as can’t remember if it’s already been posted:

https://grenada.boatshed.com/custom_...at-245046.html

I like the recessed netting, secure cockpit and the fact it’s already done a pacific run... would make a nice platform for us and the dogs. On the cons side, there’s not really a lot of privacy for guests (unless you have them the aft cabin), and it’s a tri, so payload is decreased.

N
So I emailed the broker on this one and rather unsurprisingly, he was pretty unhelpful.

For those with a background on trimarans, what do you think the usable load would be? And it’s sat on the hard for four years... as long as it’s been properly supported (main hulls and ama’s), anything in particular to be concerned about?

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 18:00   #3377

38' Foam Core Harris Trimaran Still for sale @ 15,000$ usd or best offer.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-248782-3.html
Wingsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 14:11   #3378

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I was in Nassau at the turn of the century and looked over a couple of big Gold Coast charter cats. Both of them were powered by a pair of good sized outboards, maybe about 50hp each, what surprised me was that they were mounted side by side on a sled much like the single on the subject of this conversation. It has always seemed strange that they were not seperated.
I have a single mounted diesel on a leg and it has no issue at all even better - no sea cocks to close
Shaneesprit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 15:16   #3379

Boat: Still building

Having the outboard(s) steerable would make the boat incredibly manouverable, but most on separate pods tend not to be. Even if it wasa separate tiller system to main rudder(s) this would be incredibly useful in tight spaces.

As an aside, I have a mate who has a 4136 Perkins bridgedeck mounted driving hydraulic props. Big advantage of this is only one engine (lower fuel consumption) and the hydraulic motors take up a tiny amount of space in each hull, maximising space in the aft cabins of each hull.

Principle disadvantage is - only one motor - as Mark and Nadyana are discovering on YT channel 'Wildlings Sailing'. Unreliable worn out OM36 M/B proving to be a headache for them in a similar single-diesel-dual-hydraulic set-up.

On the other hand, the clusterf**k that is 'The Mer and the Man' had one of their two outboards fail recently, and it was not so much of a hassle, as one was still operational, to get them to port. But the replacement didn't match the existing, so now has two sets of (different) engine controls...

Outboards principal advantages being they are relatively cheap, and can be hauled aboard for maintenance and rebuilds relatively easily. Flipside is higher fuel consumption and relative fragility, especially to internal corrosion.

Parts availability in remoter areas is also theoretically better, as outboards (especially Yamahas 30,40,60) seem to be ubiquitous in developing world. Ditto maintenance skills.

As others have said, it's horses for courses.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 13:46   #3380

Boat: Summer Twins 25

My centrally mounted diesel has a steerable leg and while it improves the manoeuvres it’s not all that - while it is separate from the rudders - I rarely use it, as it’s far to easy to end up with one fighting the other prop vs rudder - for this reason I only use the rudder and have considered the weight saving of removing the wheel. or just fixing the leg and reattaching the wheel to the rudders - although I think it may end up to heavy on a small wheel.
Here’s a Goose to get back on topic - not sure if it’s cheap as it depends on condition but looks like a good start

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115181999...wAAOSwO29hgbOh
Shaneesprit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 03:54   #3381

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
As an aside, I have a mate who has a 4136 Perkins bridgedeck mounted driving hydraulic props. Big advantage of this is only one engine (lower fuel consumption) and the hydraulic motors take up a tiny amount of space in each hull, maximising space in the aft cabins of each hull.

Principle disadvantage is - only one motor - as Mark and Nadyana are discovering on YT channel 'Wildlings Sailing'. Unreliable worn out OM36 M/B proving to be a headache for them in a similar single-diesel-dual-hydraulic set-up.
I really like the idea of a single engine driving two props via hydraulics but like you say, that then presents it’s own problems. Mark just need to ditch the OM and get a new Beta, and he would enjoy sailing a heck of a lot more!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 05:01   #3382

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

For anyone considering buying a cat with a single steerable outboard. You get better control in reverse.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 14:30   #3383

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
I really like the idea of a single engine driving two props via hydraulics but like you say, that then presents it’s own problems. Mark just need to ditch the OM and get a new Beta, and he would enjoy sailing a heck of a lot more!

N

I agree, but I think cost is the issue. I thinkj they wil probably end up rebuilding the OM which, if done properly, should be a solution, but Mark's track record of 'half doing' everything doesn't bode well.
In which case it would make more sense for them to get a new Beta.

The other issue I forgot to mention with bridgedeck mounted single engine is the noise. Most boats so fitted are older and the noise cancelling is less proactive than it is today, so they will for sure need new sound-deadening.

That's one of the advantages of having separate motors in each hull, as they are further form the cockpit. Makes no difference when sleeping in the aft berths though. Just as loud or louder.

There are always compromises. Depends what your're willing to live with.

One potential win for having hydraulics is that you could add additional hydraulically operated equipment, like dinghy davits, or davit winch or similar. But probably the hydraulic system is marginal with both props running, so 50/50 whether this is and advantage or not.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 14:55   #3384
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

44’ Shuttleworth for sale in Florida for $119k. Maybe not cheap, but cheap for a performance cat of that size. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...maran-8181225/
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 19:59   #3385

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

There's a 1991 Privilege 39 in Pensacola for $79k. Is that your stomping grounds, smj?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 02:25   #3386

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That Shuttleworth is "interesting". The write up says it has a 30' beam but the specs say it's 27.67'. Either way it's really wide for a 44' boat but I think most Shuttleworths are pretty beamy.
Old 16-01-2022, 05:40   #3387
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
There's a 1991 Privilege 39 in Pensacola for $79k. Is that your stomping grounds, smj?

We are a ways south of Pensacola. A friend of mine looked at that Privilege a month or so ago.
Old 16-01-2022, 05:46   #3388
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
That Shuttleworth is "interesting". The write up says it has a 30' beam but the specs say it's 27.67'. Either way it's really wide for a 44' boat but I think most Shuttleworths are pretty beamy.

I’m not sure it is a Shuttleworth design, looks more closely related to the Novara 44.
Old 16-01-2022, 06:27   #3389

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
1,000,000 views!

I started this thread 10 years ago and it now has over 1 million views! It's been a fun ride and I haven't even gotten banned from the forum yet.
Old 16-01-2022, 07:51   #3390
smj

Re: 1,000,000 views!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I started this thread 10 years ago and it now has over 1 million views! It's been a fun ride and I haven't even gotten banned from the forum yet.

One of the best threads on CF!

Tags
cheap, paracelle