Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2020, 20:33   #1

Boat: Catalina 34
HAM License instead of Restricted Radio Operators License?

Do I still need a restricted radio operators license if I have an amateur radio (HAM) license when sailing to a foreign port?

I recently applied for a ship's station license and learned I need the restricted operators license to be legal. If the HAM license applies I'll get that instead.
Donnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 22:24   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: HAM License instead of Restricted Radio Operators License?

Will you have/use marine VHF? Likely yes, thus you'll need the restricted operator certificate.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 22:55   #3

If you have both radios. You need both.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 02:11   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you are a U.S. citizen, the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit requires no test and is valid for life. You need this (theoretically) whenever you are outside of U.S. waters.

I must say, however, that in decades of cruising dozens of countries' waters, I have only been asked to show this license once -- to a charter operator, when chartering a boat in Croatia.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 05:33   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Getting a ham license sufficient for HF operation requires both the techician and the general license tests. That's a lot of work.

K4TKL
Old 20-11-2020, 05:50   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Getting a ham license sufficient for HF operation requires both the techician and the general license tests. That's a lot of work.

K4TKL

Actually, the majority of the general test is the stuff from the technician section, so if you take them back to back you will not forget too much. ymmv
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 05:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

well, there is no morse code requirement anymore, so getting a ham license should be piece of cake for most people...get a study booklet and have at it....or join your local ham club and they will guide you in the right direction..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 06:35   #8

Boat: Lancer 27PS

I could be wrong but I think there are a few countries that only recognize the US Extra Class License or the US Advanced Class License. Like I said, I could be mistaken.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 06:46   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
I could be wrong but I think there are a few countries that only recognize the US Extra Class License or the US Advanced Class License. Like I said, I could be mistaken.
"Reciprocal Operating Agreements (bilateral) between the US and a foreign country names in list below. If such an agreement exists, operation
in that country is permissible. Keep in mind that reciprocity does not necessarily mean the US Amateur can simply go and operate. In some
cases, the US amateur needs to make applications or obtain a permit. The qualified US Amateur must carry your official FCC-issued license
(not a reference copy).
Countries that share a Reciprocal agreement with the United States: Antigua/Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados,
Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Canada1, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark (including
Greenland), Dominican Republic, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Finland, France2, Germany, Greece,
Grenada, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati,
Kuwait, Liberia, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Mexico10, Monaco, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua,
Norway, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone,
Solomon Island, South Africa, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Tuvalu, United Kingdom3, Uruguay
and Venezuela.
CEPT Radio Amateur License Recommendation T/R 61-01 allows US Amateur Extra and US Advanced class licensees to operate in European
Union countries and their dependencies listed below under CEPT T/R 61-01. The qualified US Amateur must carry a copy of the FCC CEPT
Public Notice DA 16-1048 (dated September 16, 2016), your US passport, and your official FCC-issued license (not a reference copy).
Countries participating in CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01: Albania, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia,
Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark4, Estonia, Finland7, France5, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein,
Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway8, Poland, Portugal9, Romania, Russian
Federation, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, and the United Kingdom6.
ECC Recommendation (05)06 allows US General Class licensees to operate under the CEPT Novice Radio Amateur License in the countries
listed below. Qualified US General class operators must carry a copy of the FCC CEPT Public Notice DA 16-1048 (dated September 16, 2016),
your US passport, and your official FCC-issued license (not a reference copy).
CEPT countries participating in ECC Recommendation (05)06: Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic,
Denmark4, Finland7, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Moldova, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal9,
Romania, Russian Federation, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, and Switzerland.
International Amateur Radio Permit (IARP) allows US Amateurs traveling to certain Central or South American countries (listed below) to
operate if the hold an IARP permit, which in the US may be obtained through the ARRL VEC.
Countries that participate with the United States: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada1, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Mexico, Panama,
Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela."

so not really a problem !!
Old 20-11-2020, 07:30   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41

Just to be clear...

#9 country list is referring to HAM...
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 08:12   #11

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Sorry if this is OT, but what is the difference between "Original Copy" and "Reference Copy"? As listed in #9 above, it says the license must be the original, not a reference copy. Now, it does not say "original copy". Rather confusing I would say.

Asking for a friend. LOL
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:07   #12
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Just to be clear...

#9 country list is referring to HAM...

Err the whole list applies to US HAMs there are several arrangements , namely bilateral ones ( the first list ) then CEPT cross recognition and then some using alternatives

The end result being “ it’s not an issue “
Old 20-11-2020, 09:08   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Err the whole list applies to US HAMs there are several arrangements , namely bilateral ones ( the first list ) then CEPT cross recognition and then some using alternatives

The end result being “ it’s not an issue “

Dave
EI-2GMB
Old 20-11-2020, 09:13   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The reference copy says reference copy right on it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:28   #15

Boat: challenger 32,

Both Ham and resstricted are needed by cruisers. Your ham license does not authorize you to use ship's radio on marine channels. Plus your vhf while not required in USA, many foreign countries do require restricted ....and it is for life. I hope that when y ou turned in your form 605 for ship's radios you checked radar, vhf, rtty, etc., etc. It costs no more and who k nows when you might have all of them aboard.

Also, carrying your vhf ashore is some third world countries....you might be stopped by locals asking for your license....you would not have it on you, so the confiscate the radio.....get a pair of FRS, they are small enough to fit into your pocket and not be visible like your vhf.

in conclusion Have a ham license, and a restricted radiotelephone operators license .....just in case.
de W7KFI
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, radio