Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2021, 11:04   #3226

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfi View Post
A really genuine, upbeat, and positive couple, but if you watch their last video of reflection, you are left feeling perhaps a little less upbeat about some of the choices they made.
Having refitted three boats now and then taken one of them off on a sizable trip, I can completely understand that last video. You sit back and realise you’ve spent years of your life and tens of thousands of ££ on something that may not be proving to be the best boat for your needs... tbh, the best trip I had was in an Oday 34 that I just jumped on and went cruising.

Also, they’re in the Carib currently away from friends and family, with Covid raging away and potentially less work prospects available. Not fun.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:16   #3227
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Really??? Other people's criteria seem to be somewhat different from mine. I would suspect that few people (if anybody) attempt an ocean crossing twice in one.....

You must not have read the Dean 365 thread posted in post #3218
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 15:00   #3228

Boat: 1986 Catalac 10M

Anyone that might be interested in the Dean 365 above, I have researched this boat and hopefully it is okay for me to share. This boat was purchased in St. Thomas several years ago by a family from the west coast. They have a YouTube channel named "Sailing by Faith" that tells their story. I saw it was for sale last summer and tried to look at it but never got a response from the seller.

I saw it listed on Sailboat Listings this month and recognized it right away. I called the seller and tried to arrange a viewing.

Here is more of the back story I learned from the current owner. It was left by the "By Faith" family on the hard in Ft. Pierce Fl with a dead Starboard motor. The boatyard rebuilt the engine "for the 3rd time" and the family moved back to the west coast.

The current owner bought it for what is has it listed for. He says he fixed a few things and added new electronics. Then put it back in the water and sailed it to Kehma TX last summer. He claims he had no major issues but the Port motor would cut off occasionally at low RMP. He has it in the water in a marina there and lives near Ft Worth TX (5 hours away)

He says he does not have time to deal with getting a survey done and expects to sell it with out one. I offered to set up with a local surveyor that happens to live in the same marina, but he still says he does not have time to deal with that.

He took the add down and called me to tell me he could not spend time on it for a few weeks and would let me know when he was ready to work on selling it again. Today I saw it listed again, no phone call :-(

As much as I REALLY like the layout and the fact that I know some of the history if the boat, I live 16hrs away and is too far away for me to take a chance on getting down there just to find out it is not actually worth the time and effort. If it was a few hours away I would jump on it anyway.
graypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 23:38   #3229

Spindrift 40 project - $48k AUD
https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...to-42ft/260881

Simpson 50 Slipstream project $120k AUD
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...pstream/260977
Old 19-04-2021, 03:23   #3230

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Perry 44' $90K in Panama

The ad says it suffered from a lightening strike which Panama is known for especially in the summer. The boat looks pretty decent but the engines look the opposite of decent. I can't copy and paste YW pics anymore because they are all too big. I wish there was an easy way to do this without additional software. Is there?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/perry-44-3827759/
Old 19-04-2021, 03:47   #3231

Re: Perry 44' $90K in Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The ad says it suffered from a lightening strike which Panama is known for especially in the summer. The boat looks pretty decent but the engines look the opposite of decent. I can't copy and paste YW pics anymore because they are all too big. I wish there was an easy way to do this without additional software. Is there?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/perry-44-3827759/
That’s a bargain IMHO. Engines need rebuilding (or maybe a freshen), rigging needs replacing and elecs would need a good going over. Otherwise, that’s a lot of boat for the money.

N
Old 19-04-2021, 12:39   #3232

Boat: 45f5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post

Simpson 50 Slipstream project $120k AUD
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...pstream/260977

Think that Slipstream was bought from down Brisbane/Gold Coast way by a young couple (from Rocky or further north) a year or so ago. Started the process of pulling it apart and discoverying the issues to be fixed. If it is them, there was a serious of youtube vids on it. Cant remember the name of the youtube vids.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 13:10   #3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo19.5 View Post
Think that Slipstream was bought from down Brisbane/Gold Coast way by a young couple (from Rocky or further north) a year or so ago. Started the process of pulling it apart and discoverying the issues to be fixed. If it is them, there was a serious of youtube vids on it. Cant remember the name of the youtube vids.
Gotcha! Will have a look on YT now. Even with the needed work, it’s a lot of boat for the right person.

N
Old 19-04-2021, 17:22   #3234

Re: Perry 44' $90K in Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
That’s a bargain IMHO. Engines need rebuilding (or maybe a freshen), rigging needs replacing and elecs would need a good going over. Otherwise, that’s a lot of boat for the money.

N
I looked at an Admiral 38 in Panama a couple years ago that was of similar vintage and similarly described at a similar too good to be true price point. It was quite shocking how bad of condition a boat can get in Panama when left to sit. It literally took me 3 minutes on the boat to decide there was no way this could work. Oddly the bottom was spotless, looked like it had been painted yesterday. Everything else was an utter disaster. Good excuse for a fun trip to Panama though!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:31   #3235

48' Piver $18,000

We have a 1983 homemade Piver 48 for sale near Seattle. They say the engine was removed so you will have a project there. You were getting bored anyway.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...301001713.html
Old 25-04-2021, 12:47   #3236
cruiser

Boat: 39 PRIVILEGE 1993
can a privilege 39' sit on its keels on a sandbar

can a privilege 39' sit on its keels on a sandbar. let the tide go out.

any owner know this ??
will the keels break thru hull???

not asking about props and rudders. i got that figured out.
yan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 13:19   #3237
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That’s a Perry 43 that I was familiar with earlier last year. Know at least one prop is missing and is located at a marina that has a problem with consistent rates and revolving rings of theft.
Old 25-04-2021, 17:35   #3238

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Just hopping on this thread here. Nothing to report.
Old 13-05-2021, 17:12   #3239

48' Custom Cat For $96,000

Here's an interesting boat, a 1986 custom cat in Spain for $96,000. The details are a bit vague but apparently the engines are low hours and/or rebuilt and the sails are recent. I can't post a YW pic without jumping thru hoops so if someone who's more tech savvy can help me out then many thanks.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...yacht-3834759/
Old 13-05-2021, 22:36   #3240

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: 48' Custom Cat For $96,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Here's an interesting boat, a 1986 custom cat in Spain for $96,000. The details are a bit vague but apparently the engines are low hours and/or rebuilt and the sails are recent. I can't post a YW pic without jumping thru hoops so if someone who's more tech savvy can help me out then many thanks.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...yacht-3834759/
Agreed, interesting. It's on other brokerage sites too, here's a google search link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Otto..._AUoAHoECAEQAA

And here's a couple of photos too:

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle