Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2021, 13:20   #3271

Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Pdq 36 salvage coming up on iaai (dealer/business type account OR use a “broker” - with additional fees- to bid). Iaai is a legitimate salvage auction site but $200 membership fee & as far as I can tell business accounts only in al/fl auctions. Important to be aware in advance of all associated fees as they can add up. location gulf shores AL https://www.iaai.com/vehicledetails/...US&RowNumber=0
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 21:14   #3272

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
Pdq 36 salvage coming up on iaai (dealer/business type account OR use a “broker” - with additional fees- to bid). Iaai is a legitimate salvage auction site but $200 membership fee & as far as I can tell business accounts only in al/fl auctions. Important to be aware in advance of all associated fees as they can add up. location gulf shores AL https://www.iaai.com/vehicledetails/...US&RowNumber=0
Quote:
Primary Damage:
All Over
Looks okay. I wonder if these are pictures from its better days.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 08:22   #3273

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Looks okay. I wonder if these are pictures from its better days.
looks like both hulls have taken impacts, not long term one but enough to scratch up the gelcoat. If its a balsa core thats enough to cause delam. But your right it does not look too bad.
But I also suspect they wont show the bad pics online, just to try to get bidders.

If this was open to public for bidding I would go down and look.
Old 19-08-2021, 08:55   #3274
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillintheblank View Post
looks like both hulls have taken impacts, not long term one but enough to scratch up the gelcoat. If its a balsa core thats enough to cause delam. But your right it does not look too bad.

But I also suspect they wont show the bad pics online, just to try to get bidders.

If this was open to public for bidding I would go down and look.

Foam core, and foam I believe will delam a little easier than balsa. That being said, the PDQ is a very well built cat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 11:23   #3275

Heaven twins listed again for 8500. in maryland, no connection to the boat.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa...353265309.html
Old 22-08-2021, 17:44   #3276

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

Free 34ft Trimaran - Abermarle sound NC

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/...368419621.html
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 18:15   #3277

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
To bad she went down. I bet he engine is DOA.
Old 22-08-2021, 18:27   #3278

(Horror music intensifies)
Say10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 00:20   #3279

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
Free 34ft Trimaran - Abermarle sound NC

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/...368419621.html
Depending on the core / any hull damage,, that could be a fun project.

- 2 pack poly paint job - £300
- new standing rigging - £2k
- new running rigging - £300
- wiring / plumbing - £1k
- cushions - £1.5k
- sails - £4k
- new engine - £4k
- labour hours.... a solid year would do it

So there you have it - £13.1k / $20k plus labour and incidentals, and you’ve got a neat 34ft tri with everything new except the hull.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 08:02   #3280

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Depending on the core / any hull damage,, that could be a fun….
- new engine - £4k
- labour hours.... a solid year would do it

So there you have it - £13.1k / $20k plus labour and incidentals, and you’ve got a neat 34ft tri with everything new except the hull.

N
Your estimated time and cost is wildly optimistic. The ad says “the hull is in bad shape”.

imagine Captain Norman Bates sailing “Mother”…
Old 23-08-2021, 12:39   #3281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say10 View Post
Your estimated time and cost is wildly optimistic. The ad says “the hull is in bad shape”.

imagine Captain Norman Bates sailing “Mother”…
Like I said, depending on the hull and core. If they’re shot then it’s a whole different matter.

And no, my estimates (time and cost) are based on the last 12 years of refitting boats...

N
Old 23-08-2021, 16:23   #3282

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Like I said, depending on the hull and core. If they’re shot then it’s a whole different matter.

And no, my estimates (time and cost) are based on the last 12 years of refitting boats...

N
That's pretty cool you have 12 years refitting boats. Professionally? I guess though with your estimation you didn't spend much time reading what the 'seller'/giver said... which sorta makes me wonder more about that estimate of yours... yeah?

I'm thinking some of the differences of opinion on this floating palace (of terrors) revolves around the perception of value.

While I am absolutely not a boat repair guy/person (professional or otherwise) such as yourself, I have a very deep background as a IT consultant likely shading my perception of time and money.

Among many of the things I've learned as a consultant (for example, forks and light sockets never play nicely together) is how time is valuable, after all - I bill my clients by the hour. Like a cheap hotel room at the Bates Motel .

A saying that comes to mind, "the most expensive X is a cheap X one". X being a sportscar, luxury car, or free boat.

But hey, we're all different which helps keep life fascinating. I do very much appreciate the time you spend posting these, and flip through them thinking of how much fun it would be restore some. I hope you don't take me to heart, just good natured ribbing.

Thank You!
-=Say10
el'cunnilinga
Old 23-08-2021, 18:26   #3283

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

Its too bad it sank. About 5 years ago we were staying nearby at Abermarle Plantation marina and kayaked past and it caught my eye. It looked to be in good condition then. Same house also had another odd looking large trimaran, you can see them both on google.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0830...m1!1e3!5m1!1e1
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 23:11   #3284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say10 View Post
That's pretty cool you have 12 years refitting boats. Professionally? I guess though with your estimation you didn't spend much time reading what the 'seller'/giver said... which sorta makes me wonder more about that estimate of yours... yeah?

I'm thinking some of the differences of opinion on this floating palace (of terrors) revolves around the perception of value.

While I am absolutely not a boat repair guy/person (professional or otherwise) such as yourself, I have a very deep background as a IT consultant likely shading my perception of time and money.

Among many of the things I've learned as a consultant (for example, forks and light sockets never play nicely together) is how time is valuable, after all - I bill my clients by the hour. Like a cheap hotel room at the Bates Motel .

A saying that comes to mind, "the most expensive X is a cheap X one". X being a sportscar, luxury car, or free boat.

But hey, we're all different which helps keep life fascinating. I do very much appreciate the time you spend posting these, and flip through them thinking of how much fun it would be restore some. I hope you don't take me to heart, just good natured ribbing.

Thank You!
-=Say10
el'cunnilinga
Haha ironically, for my sins I too am an IT / project consultant....

The seller noted the hull is in “bad shape”... which could mean it’s tremendously dirty and needs a good scrub, or could mean it’s rotten the way through and wouldn’t burn even if you doused it in petrol. Like I said, all down to the hull and core.

I learnt the hard way with my first “project”, spending way too much time and money refitting a boat that was essentially never going to be worth much anyway. Great education, terrible financial decision.

Since then I’ve done other boats and managed to break refits down into components parts (the costs in my first post are a good indicator for a boat of this size) but for me it all comes down to the hull and core. If a boat’s only worth say £20k, there’s no point pumping years and tens of thousands into it (unless it’s a boat of significance / historical value) for it still to only be worth £20k. A lot of these “projects” are like that as well... too high a starting price, too far gone down the road, too far inland to ever consider getting near water, etc etc There was a solid Nautitech a few pages back that was hurricane damaged / had outboards and was a good combo of initial price / work required / residual value, but Covid and travel restrictions ruled it out pretty quick.

Anyway, always interesting to see what people post up and ponder over them while stuck in yet another dull client workshop....haha

N
Old 31-08-2021, 07:24   #3285

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Mirage 37 in Fort Lauderdale

Here's a Mirage 37 which is a Richard Woods design for $75,000.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...-deck-3873443/

Tags
cheap, paracelle