Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 20:34   #2971

Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Thanks for finding that and posting about it! That seems to fall into the category of "too good to be true".
I emailed, so we'll see. I'm on the wrong coast to go check it out.

It's a real ad and the ad has a phone #. Whether the condition is truly 'just needs paint' is hard to say, but looks like it could be solid. I think 1-of a kind or very few got built..any other history or details would be interesting..
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 23:05   #2972

I am headed out to the PNW next week. Will be stopping through Port Townsend, Gig Harbor, Anacortes, Whidbey Island, Camano Island and Olympia.
I will be checking out a Marples CC 35 that has been sitting in tidal waters for 6 years. It may end up being too much work in which case I’ll be looking for a different Trimaran to purchase.
If anyone has recent leads in the Washington State area(or anywhere on the west coast) please let me know.
Pics of the CC35 added
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5AA3DEBA-1DB4-41F7-ACA8-96A1628E6011.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	216977   Click image for larger version

Name:	F59360F9-F0D0-4EA1-91A7-82B1285EA4BD.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	216978  

Name:	B29D6102-91A9-4052-BC96-0C16371B6498.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	216979   Click image for larger version

Name:	64D0D4D5-0944-48FF-AF65-D9990C213D90.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	216980  

Name:	5076E86B-6EC8-4947-AE4B-F065C8A0C44A.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	216981   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A215AEC-0C9B-4D74-BC52-4D6C097B5622.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	216982  

Ajlawson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:39   #2973

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I live in Gig Harbor but unfortunately I will be out of town then. We could have had a beer if the bars get open. Gig has lots of marinas and boats but very few multis so not a great place to shop. If you are looking for a one hour diversion you can take a walk over the Narrows bridge, it's awesome.

Port Townsend is really cool with lots of boaty stuff. Good Luck
Old 09-06-2020, 07:57   #2974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I live in Gig Harbor but unfortunately I will be out of town then. We could have had a beer if the bars get open. Gig has lots of marinas and boats but very few multis so not a great place to shop. If you are looking for a one hour diversion you can take a walk over the Narrows bridge, it's awesome.

Port Townsend is really cool with lots of boaty stuff. Good Luck
Thanks for the info!
My best friends parents live in Sequim and my family is all spread out over northern coastal WA. Bummer you will be out of town because I love beer and sailing.

Yeah I feel like the Marples Im going to look at is just too far gone but I’ll have a looksie.

Sand Crab let me know if you make your way down to San Diego! I may be in the Baja haha this year.
Ajlawson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:08   #2975

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
It's a real ad and the ad has a phone #. Whether the condition is truly 'just needs paint' is hard to say, but looks like it could be solid. I think 1-of a kind or very few got built..any other history or details would be interesting..
Hi!
I emailed yesterday since the "contact info" failed for me on three different devices. No reply.
If you succeeded in getting the phone number, would you mind passing that on?
Either a DM or on here is okay. Somebody could be getting a very nice boat. Thanks!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:23   #2976

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Absolutely not - the boat’s a total **** heap. I’ve spent the last 10 years at that boat yard and that cat’s a nightmare. The last owner sadly died midway through the refit, but in the time he was working on it he glassed in the fore deck AND added five feet to the rear... along with a massive bimini that required a crane to lift it on. There’s huge question marks about whether the boat will still float based on the amount of grp added to it.

As for the boat having “all the parts needed to finish”, the parts have been rifled through by the yard and what’s left isn’t great. One of the yard mechanics was working on my cat and got called away one afternoon to remove a lot of kit off this boat.

Sadly some dreamer will buy it and it’ll become a money pit... but I absolutely would steer clear of it.

N
The Boatyard stole parts from the boat? That doesn't seem right. Shouldn't you name and shame so other don't leave their boats unlocked there?
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:07   #2977

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The Boatyard stole parts from the boat? That doesn't seem right. Shouldn't you name and shame so other don't leave their boats unlocked there?
It’s a bit more complex than that.. the former owner was the yard manager, so he was very intertwined in their business and they in his. Regardless of that though, the yard did remove a number of parts from the boat and have left the bare scraps - a lot of which have been sat for a loooong time and aren’t in serviceable condition.

Either way, the boat’s a heap and I’m not surprised it’s still on ebay.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:52   #2978
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

There is a Norm Cross 48 in Olympia. It is not listed anywhere. It is in the water at a marina. The owner is in Oregon. I have not seen the boat but I fear the worst. The owner is a friend of a friend and is not maintaining it. I found this description in an e-mail from last year. You can PM me.
Equipped with:

Powerful Yanmar turbo Diesel engine
Watermaker & Generator
Tankage-2 60 gallon fuel tanks hooked up inline for easy fuel filter changes plus 2 40 gl transfer tanks-total fuel tankage 200 gls.
Water-2 60 gl. tanks
brand new top of the line Ray Marine Radar/Auto pilot and Depth finder
Interior kitchen galley with custom built tables, sleeping berths and new window portholes
custom Bathroom with shower and sink
gas stove and gas/dc electric top of the line refrigerator
solar panels and battery bank
2 kayaks
dinghy with Yamaha outboard engine
portable generator

Operational:

stern mast re-rigged/ forward mast rigging in good shape
Sails in good shape
Hull in great shape no accidents
Top sailing speed 10 kts
Motor speed 8 kts

Repair/Upgrades:

solar panels and battery bank in need of upgrade
electrical wiring in need of upgrade
some interior woodwork around windows in need of repair from window leakage
needs new compost latrine
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 21:06   #2979

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...134802420.html

1968 fiberglass over wood....

Don't forget your humidity tester and your little hammer to tap every square inch for the "possible?" soft spots.

It actually looks good in the photos, but, unless they've done some major upkeep over the decades, plywood is likely to be compromised in places.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 00:42   #2980

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:

Don't forget your humidity tester and your little hammer to tap every square inch for the "possible?" soft spots.

It actually looks good in the photos, but, unless they've done some major upkeep over the decades, plywood is likely to be compromised in places.
Good looking cat! So is fibreglass over wood the same as ply/epoxy? Or is this a plywood cat that’s been sheathed in fibreglass?

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:15   #2981

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Good looking cat! So is fibreglass over wood the same as ply/epoxy? Or is this a plywood cat that’s been sheathed in fibreglass?

N

If it was built in glass over wood in 1968, I personally would not touch it.... It has to be polyester resin. I don't have much confidence in that.... Ironically the first boat I build was in 1968, and was built using wood and fiberglass (age 13). As was my second, several years later (cedar strip). I don't feel that the technology to do good wood and glass boats really existed until later. If the boat has been left in the water most of it's life, the chance of it being sound would seem vanishingly small IMHO.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:46   #2982

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Yup, West wasn't even invented until 1969. Epoxy had been out for years before that but they really got it right.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:12   #2983
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There is a 1972 Piver 60! At the yard here in Panama. Has had some termite issues and galvanised nails bleeding thru, but many years in the tropics. That old for ply was super tuff no reason a '69 parked in San Diego couldn't be in relatively excellent shape.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:29   #2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Yup, West wasn't even invented until 1969. Epoxy had been out for years before that but they really got it right.

Epoxy itself was invented in the 1890s... it didn't become common and "affordable" as a composite construction resin until quite recently... It's use in that context was unheard of in those days.... and long afterward.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 08:14   #2985

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:

A gentle reminder to the bargain hunters..... Do not board any vessel that is not listed.

Any boat grounded on tidelands is on private property and approaching it as well as boarding is trespass subject to all such laws. (I keep a camera recording mine.)

Do not hit, tap etc,,, or poke with a sharp implement any vessel that is listed (or not) without first getting permission from the actual owner. Friends of friends etc.... need not apply,
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle