Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2023, 13:33   #46

Boat: Sabre 34II
Re: Catana 471 vendor hiding survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
There's a third possibility, I am not sure everyone noticed it's a private sale.
Imagine someone rings enquiring about the cat, is disrespectful to you on the phone. Then insists on seeing the survey. You're politely trying to get rid of this cradle kicker. Finally after the conversation with a person you have zero interest in meeting let alone showing your cat. That person then gets on CF crying over spilt milk and within four posts has his hand smacked and some of his posts removed. So forget the red flags, some personalities just clash and everyone is better to just walk away.
Just because you're selling something doesn't mean it's an invitation for people to disrespect you.
Cheers
Completely agree, I alluded to something similar in post #30, selling and buying a boat is a process that needs responsible involvement by both parties.

I am not defending the OP but simply stating that the seller offered to share the survey and then refused, someone posted the original ad which mentioned the same thing so the OP was not lying.

This sale was doomed to begin with, especially after the OP went on a rant by naming the vessel.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 13:39   #47

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmoto View Post
So I recently contacted the owner of the above Catana [REDACTED] and had a chat during which he indicated that he had a survey from when he bought the boat in 2012 and also another one for insurance purposes in 2020. I indicated that I would make arrangements to travel interstate and he said he would send me the purchase purchase survey.
I was about to book my flight and thought I would just ask him one more question and also ask him why I hadn't received the purchase survey a day later. He then said that he had fixed everything in the purchase survey and it was old now so he wasn't going to send it to me.I persisted but he flat out refused.
He kept assuring me that there was nothing bad in it but I said if there was nothing to hide why didn't he send it and he still refused with his wife's refusal as his excuse. Obviously there is something bad in there that they don't want me to see.

Is not the first time I have encountered this sort of behavior as I inquired about one boat in the past and got the owner to send me a survey that he had had done for his purchase. It wasn't that great so I didn't pursue the boat. [REDACTED] The agent told me that the owner was in the trade and consequently had not had a survey conducted when he purchased it. A bald faced lie.
Pretty much no one buys an expensive yacht without a purchase survey especially when insurance companies will demand it so if the original one, no matter how old, is not supplied you need to be extremely suspicious.

Got to be careful!
Just get another survey.. I can't see the problem.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 21:21   #48

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
There's a third possibility, I am not sure everyone noticed it's a private sale.
Imagine someone rings enquiring about the cat, is disrespectful to you on the phone. Then insists on seeing the survey. You're politely trying to get rid of this cradle kicker. Finally after the conversation with a person you have zero interest in meeting let alone showing your cat. That person then gets on CF crying over spilt milk and within four posts has his hand smacked and some of his posts removed. So forget the red flags, some personalities just clash and everyone is better to just walk away.
Just because you're selling something doesn't mean it's an invitation for people to disrespect you.
Cheers
This is also how I perceived the situation.

Full disclosure I also reached out of the seller to give them a link to the thread.

Tags
catana, survey