Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2023, 12:06   #1

Bali Cats

Hi Folks,

I was browsing today and came across the Bali website. Does anyone have any intelligence regarding this manufacturer? I like a lot of what I saw, but the Devil is in the details. Hard to say if it sails like it says on paper. Although I am not sure about the fly bridge...

Losts of room in the engine compartment and they were using Yanmars.
Mr. Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 12:30   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Bali Cats

An owner of a Catana catamaran told me that Bali was the charter version of the company's offerings. Catana's are significantly more expensive but designed for ocean passages. All the Catana catamaran's I've seen are pretty distinctive in that they have daggerboards to help point into the wind better. Bali's are designed to handle more people so interior space will be prioritized for additional berths. I think there are many more Bali's manufactured now than Catana's.
Old 28-08-2023, 12:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
An owner of a Catana catamaran told me that Bali was the charter version of the company's offerings.
Thank you sir. That is a departure from what the manufacturer is saying - and they are certainly playing up the association with Catana. I have been looking at these boats closer since I posted this and it seems that access to below decks is a hatch, outside. I have to mull the idea over but this would probably make for some inconvenience during bad weather. Mind you, maybe that much faster getting to the helm, if needed?
Mr. Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 14:24   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kevin View Post
... it seems that access to below decks is a hatch, outside...
respectfully : are you sure this is correct ?? there is a bali moored right next to us at present and there is no way access below decks is via a hatch. they have big double doors from the cockpit to the saloon

i don't think any production cat has been limited to hatch access since the 80s

ps : the bali is definitely a budget build by catana aimed at the charter market. wouldn't be on my short list of desirable boats...

cheers,
Old 28-08-2023, 15:26   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

They are designed for the charter market, so interior volume and usable deck space are priorities.

They have a fairly low bridgedeck clearance and rigid foredeck. The latter are increasing the risk of bridgedeck slamming in rough weather.
Undesirable for an offshore cruiser.
A lot of slamming might create structural issues in a few years down the line.

Still, they seem to offer quite large engines. We saw one speeding past us under the engine the other day, and it went quite fast, almost looked like a power yacht despite the rigging.
Old 28-08-2023, 23:51   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I'm chartering one in just over two weeks. I'm expecting it to be spacious, not great quality and sail like a dog. I'll let you know if I'm right or wrong by the end of September!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 01:27   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

I looked around the 50 catana and the equivalent Bali at the Sydney boat show. If I had the money I would consider buying the Catana for cruising (but obviously would have to compare with other similar boats). I wouldn’t touch the Bali with a barge pole. Fine if you are chartering. Possibly ok if you want to coastal cruise and don’t care at all about sailing.
Macdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 01:57   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Experience from a 43:

Consider it a motorboat with a mast, if you feel generous consider it a motorsailer.

Lots of slamming when going upwind, have to motorsail to get anywhere upwind. Slamming is not related to the solid foredeck, it a problem of the deckhouse / bridgedeck height

I'm not a fan of flybridge, who wants to get fully dressed and clip in just to go to check the sails? You can't see the sails from inside.

Built quality is you get what you pay for (even though in my understanding you should get a lot more for that money). Join the facebook group to get an impression of the issues owners have.

If you want client service after sale, go somewhere else, but not sure if any of the other big catamaran companies are any better.

On the positive side: Great boat for living in a marina or anchorage
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 04:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bali Cats

Have sailed a 4.5, was pretty quick on a beam reach of 18kts which had us touching 11-12kts but did slam badly in light head sea's of 1-2metres on the way to Gib.
Build quality similar to Lagoon but the rigid sundeck forward does contribute to the slamming.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 13:23   #10

I've never owned one, but have seen them in person at multiple shows. I was not impressed once I got over my first impression. There are some draws like an amazing saloon/galley, forward cockpits/nav, large fridges, etc, but there are also many many huge missteps. For me, the biggest issue was despite the size (Bali 4.6), the lower hallways and doors are made for small girls. Only gets slightly better once you go bigger then its a maze. The flybridge is only good if you have a captain you don't want to interact with. Previous owners, and I emphasize previous, told me the ride is slow and dumpy and the build quality is ikea/subpar. Ok for charter, but unless you like motoring, not for cruising. A "motorboat with a mast" is a perfect description. A Bali has almost nothing in common with a Catana. Although the Catana didn't check our boxes, is a definitely a nice boat.
absoffthewake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 14:31   #11

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoffthewake View Post
Ok for charter, but unless you like motoring, not for cruising. A "motorboat with a mast" is a perfect description. .

I continually wonder why you'd spend so much coin on a boat with a mast if you ain't going to use it when a powered vessel can be had for much less coin and can often offer greater comforts and utility.

As a full time cruiser, ex cat sailor and builder I have noticed the new breed of cat buyers don't sail much anyway
I suspect it's because for many, it's their first boat and they have done little research past youtube, boat shows, glossy brochures and shiny interiors.
Sell house put it all into floating apartment with mast and motor everywhere with headsail up at best because they can't sail, or it won't sail, not unless they are out in 20 knots of wind and then we see most making a bee line to the nearest marina because of the "strong winds"

Those that have actually sailed or owned cats before and or have at least done some research are generally not buying production boats and if they are, they are most certainly leaning heavily towards those with performance and waterline length vs foredeck swimming pools.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 14:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I continually wonder why you'd spend so much coin on a boat with a mast...

Sell house put it all into floating apartment with mast and motor everywhere with headsail up
You gotta get buy in from the wife somehow... you can always upgrade later
Old 30-08-2023, 14:58   #13

Boat: 2018 Bali 4.1, 1987 Hunter 34, 2005 Seafox 21'

I been sailing for some time. Production boat or not, we love and enjoy our Bali. If we could afford a non production boat that meets our needs, seaworthy and can sail..it might be something to consider in the future. To the Op and any prospective buyer...don't be discourage by the naysayers out there and those that have simply charter a Bali for a few days or the “Marine Provider” out there that see these boats or any charter boat their worst. They are safe, they sail well, they are spacious. We have nice wide unobstructed decks. I personally appreciate our flybridge, especially since we often transit the sea of crab traps r the land of fog every so often, the accentuate views are uncomparable…bty.. there is enough room up there for family and friends to socialize. I should also mention, that I don’t care what Cat you have, given the right conditions, it will slam my friend. Yes, we slammed once two years ago. No biggie. Our vessel is solid, it doesn’t squeak or give you negative verbal feedback. The bilges are dry to the bone. It does not leak. Ours is a 2018, and it’s like new or better than new. All and all, all systems are functional and perform as they should. Yea, its not a performance Cat, however, we did not want one. It can sail at 8 to 10 knots..it was, and is the best choice for us! Do your do diligence and decide what you want. Just know, No matter what, there is an elitist group out here (This thread and others) that that will discredit or poo poo these comments...or Bali’s in general. Finally, I have to say that our personal list had many pros and they out way the cons. No regrets, just more solid adventures to come.
LAGERTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 03:58   #14

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoffthewake View Post
You gotta get buy in from the wife somehow... you can always upgrade later
Upgrading on a boat is far cheaper than upgrading on a wife

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 05:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Upgrading on a boat is far cheaper than upgrading on a wife
Aint that the truth! Many find that out the hard way.