Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 10:05   #1

Broken Lagoon

I just ran across a Utube channel titled Sailing Parlay Revival this morning..... probably familiar with others here. These guys fixed up a hurricane damaged Lagoon, and while sailing it, the shrouds became slack. The result was the discovery of cracked bulkheads. They are attempting repair. A very interesting series!

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:42   #2

Re: Broken Lagoon

I am sure if they do a bit of research, they will find lots of people with experience with this issue on Lagoons. It's a trending problem...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 10:50   #3

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

There is also another YouTube video out there of a Lagoon 450 parked next to Parlay in the yard where repair is underway. His boat has identical bulkhead failures.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 13:27   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
There is also another YouTube video out there of a Lagoon 450 parked next to Parlay in the yard where repair is underway. His boat has identical bulkhead failures.

In the comments section, I think he cut and paste a communication with Lagoon. Wasn't good.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 13:36   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

The bulkhead issue they discovered is not limited to hurricane damaged boats.
Several other owners have checked and found similar issues with their boats.

AFAIK Lagoon has agreed to prepare repair instructions and send them to their dealers.

I just wonder why they are accepting responsibility for this issue but not for the escape hatch issue. I guess because some youtubers made it public, where the escape hatch problem has made any big waves.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 22:45   #6

Is Lagoon the manufacturer known for glueing in bulkheads with Methacrylate ?
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 01:50   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Is Lagoon the manufacturer known for glueing in bulkheads with Methacrylate ?
Although this isn’t an ideal way to do it, it shouldn’t cause the bulkheads to break as I’ve seen them break in the threads here.

The bulkheads are under built if they are falling apart or they used inferior materials. Or both. From what I’ve seen, the bulkheads themselves are breaking. They aren’t coming unbonded from the hull.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 06:22   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The bulkheads are under built if they are falling apart or they used inferior materials. Or both. From what I’ve seen, the bulkheads themselves are breaking. They aren’t coming unbonded from the hull.

I have seen pics/vids of the bulkheads becoming unbonded. They really slather on the muckypucky that's supposed to glue everything together. Isn't

methacrylate expensive? I wonder if that's what they use.

They built over 1000 of these so Lagoon could be in for an expensive recall.
Old 18-05-2021, 06:44   #9

I hadn't been aware of the Lagoon bulkhead problem before running across this Utube, but it doesn't surprise me. A condo cat, 30,000 lbs on a 24 foot beam calls for a lot of structure. Cats have a number of inherent problems that get disproportionately greater as they get bigger. Of course the longer the cat the more people want to pile on, and that requires more displacement which increases the stresses between the hulls, which requires more structure, which adds more weight. It's a negative design spiral that can be broken by going in the opposite direction from what customers want. Several aspects of catamaran design are like this such as bridge deck clearance, standing head room, and windage in smaller cats, often resulting in compromises that result in clumsy motor sailors that will not sail well to windward, or pounding. You give up one thing to gain another.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 08:51   #10

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

After watching him climb in under the deck and between and seeing how they constructed that I would never buy one of those. Shoddiest manufacturing I have ever seen for a blue water boat. There should be framing at minimum to support that bridgedeck.
Old 23-05-2021, 21:42   #11

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Here's the Playlist of the Parlay Revival "Cracked Bulkhead" series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pehoy-tYc4GyLO

And here in part 2 is where he climbs in under the cockpit floor and finds it not really attached to anything...

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 23:04   #12

Cat Impi has just gotten off the hard after a year because of this and other issues
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 00:01   #13

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolakennedys View Post
After watching him climb in under the deck and between and seeing how they constructed that I would never buy one of those. Shoddiest manufacturing I have ever seen for a blue water boat. There should be framing at minimum to support that bridgedeck.
The Lagoon was a badly Hurricane damaged vessel with a raft of issues caused by the Hurricane. If you watch the series of videos at no time does the owner, who is a very talented person at no time blames Lagoon for the issue. Colin contacted Lagoon for advice and is being supported in obtaining details on how to repair his boat and is in personal contact with the naval achitects who are assisiting him in his repairs. You cannot in any way shape of form blame Lagoon for the issue based on the boats history yet Lagoon is assisting with technical information. That does not sound like a company that leave people stranded.

Ozsailer
lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 00:12   #14

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Cat Impi has just gotten off the hard after a year because of this and other issues
Serously you better speak with Brent and Anna personally as I am sure they will tell you a different story regarding their haulout for long overdue maintenance and upgrades such as installing a waterproof bulkhead in the engine room. I own a Lagoon 440 and love it to death and to my knoweledge there is no issue with the bulkheads on the L440.

Ozsailer
L440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 00:20   #15

- installing a waterproof bulkhead in the engine room-
Sorry, maybe that was the part that confused me , nevermind
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon