Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2021, 05:58   #256
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Broken Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Forum or facebook? Any links?

Facebook, on the Lagoon 450 bulkhead issue forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:28   #257

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Facebook, on the Lagoon 450 bulkhead issue forum
You mean Seth Hynes saying "we had the same issue with our L380"?

I guess he just meant he had the usual quality issues in his 380 as with any other boat built to a price point, like low quality workmanship, breakages, impossible to reach Lagoon, etc.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:38   #258
smj

Broken Lagoon

Quote:
You mean Seth Hynes saying "we had the same issue with our L380"?

I guess he just meant he had the usual quality issues in his 380 as with any other boat built to a price point, like low quality workmanship, breakages, impossible to reach Lagoon, etc.

I edited and deleted the pictures as I didn’t know if it was right to post screen shots from Facebook.
From what I read someone posted that all Lagoons are designed in the same manner and even the smaller models will have the same kinds of problems though not as quickly as less stress is involved. Seth then came in and said they had the same issue with their 380.
That was my take.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:44   #259

Boat: CS 36 Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
New video is out... maybe up to 50 boats with broken bulkheads, and a FB group now with 850 members checking their bulkheads.

Don't look at the number of members as an indicator, anyone can join the group, including myself and I don't have a boat at all.
OliveJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:52   #260

Quote:
I edited and deleted the pictures as I didn’t know if it was right to post screen shots from Facebook.
From what I read someone posted that all Lagoons are designed in the same manner and even the smaller models will have the same kinds of problems though not as quickly as less stress is involved. Seth then came in and said they had the same issue with their 380.
That was my take.
I read the same comment, but my take was different.

I remember following Seth's YT channel about 11 years ago when he owned a Lagoon 380. I do not remember he ever mentioned any serious / structural issues with the boat. I am sure I would have picked this up if he did as we were about to buy our first catamaran.
But all he mentioned was just the usual low quality fittings & stuff that we all know.

So far I haven't read about bulkhead issues in the 380. But ya never know
Old 12-07-2021, 07:04   #261
smj

Quote:
I read the same comment, but my take was different.

I remember following Seth's YT channel about 11 years ago when he owned a Lagoon 380. I do not remember he ever mentioned any serious / structural issues with the boat. I am sure I would have picked this up if he did as we were about to buy our first catamaran.
But all he mentioned was just the usual low quality fittings & stuff that we all know.

So far I haven't read about bulkhead issues in the 380. But ya never know

Maybe he didn’t want to mention it as he knew he was selling!
Anyways, as I said it’s hard to read into people’s posts sometimes and we don’t all come out with the same interpretations.
What was your take on all Lagoons designed with the same plywood bulkhead design?
Old 12-07-2021, 07:09   #262

Quote:
Anyways, as I said it’s hard to read into people’s posts sometimes and we don’t all come out with the same interpretations.
What was your take on all Lagoons designed with the same plywood bulkhead design?
I believe the Lagoon three number models all have similar bulkhead designs. The newer two number models have the mast moved aft and, I believe, have a different bulkhead configuration.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:14   #263

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsail View Post
That shaggy bloke is Jamie. And I totally agree. He's been the only constant on the boat since about episode 4. Colin is a SUPER capable guy and one of the few Lagoon owners that could actually accomplish the task. But even Colin would have been severely stymied in his efforts with out Jamie.

What is also interesting is there is (was) a different lagoon 450 owner that tracked down Parlay in Panama, sailed to Linton Bay and hauled out right next door. I think his name is David. He doesn't post to Youtube as frequently, but has gotten Colin to come aboard and offer advice. His family has already returned to Texas. He could be looking at months if not years of dirty, sweaty glass work if he can't find his own version of a Jamie.
There are a few really good glass guys at Linton. If Choza is still there he is the guy to engage. Super experienced in structural glass work and reasonable rates. When charter boats go up on the reef in the San Blas and rip the entire bottom out of the hulls they rebuild them there. I watched Choza and crew rebuild an FP Bahia which had no hulls from the water line down...all gone. They rebuilt it all: hulls, keels, engine beds. The keels were gone, they fabbed new ones.

Ive had some much more minor glass projects done there too and been very pleased w the result and the cost.

I suspect thats one reason Colin chose to haul there. I saw Parlay there, but didnt meet Colin till later in Bocas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:48   #264

Quote:
Well in his YT channel it was all about travels and how dependable the 380 was. The most technical things were probably an oil change and a broken fitting. Actually from the the videos I would say he didn't have any real issue IMO. Just little nagging things. So I wonder where this comment comes from.

But the owner of the FB group has muted the thread, no further comments allowed.

I am not sure what to think of these bulkheads as I just don't know enough about the construction of the 450 or other models.

But I do know that the 380 is different. The bulkheads are not hidden under nice trim and any warping & cracking would be visible immediately.

See attached photo, which in the background shows a bulkhead under the forward bunk (glued and glassed) and in the foreground a furniture support (just glued)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bh.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	241953  
Old 12-07-2021, 08:55   #265

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

That construction looks a lot better than what Colin was revealing on his 450.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:56   #266
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
That construction looks a lot better than what Colin was revealing on his 450.

Exactly what I was thinking
Old 12-07-2021, 10:03   #267

But, as mentioned before, the same bulkhead isn't necessarily glassed in place.

Exactly the same bulkhead in another 380 (different model year).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bh2.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	241956  
Old 12-07-2021, 10:11   #268

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
But, as mentioned before, the same bulkhead isn't necessarily glassed in place.

Exactly the same bulkhead in another 380 (different model year).
That's appalling quality control.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:31   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
That's appalling quality control.
And so we come full circle to discover what previous generations of builders already knew

It's a universal constant that each generation thinks it's experiences are unique

But if we were to speak to a shipwright 150 years ago, what would he advise?

Same old, same old. So why do we stray? Why is the ocean unchanging, uncaring - we know the potential hazards, risk, and danger.

and yet the shiny new thing, completely unseaworthy, attracts buyers ignoring the gods of copybook heading

And the Corp sharks who know full well their targeted audiences no different than marks in a con game
Snerf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:45   #270

Boat: CL14 #1179

Seth said this about Lagoons, if he felt his 380 didn’t fit into this category of construction quality, he would of mentioned it.

“Hull Construction, durability: While all fiberglass boats can become victims of delamination and osmosis, there have been an inordinate number of reports of Lagoons with hull construction and bulkhead separation issues. We've personally met several ex-Lagoon owner's that bought brand new boats, only to have so many issues with them they traded them in for something else. If you are going to buy a Lagoon (new or used!), please ensure that your surveyor thoroughly checks for these issues. Although not specific to just Lagoon, it is terrible to see these issues appearing in many of today's "production" cats and new cat buyers should be aware.”

No mention that he didnt have these issues with his 380.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon