Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2021, 08:16   #226

Re: Broken Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Look at the market, still a lot of people around searching for one.
...because there's still a lot of people that don't know about this issue.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:18   #227

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
...because there's still a lot of people that don't know about this issue.
I don't think so. People read reviews on the Internet and watch YT.

I get almost weekly PM enquiries from dealers and brokers and sometimes even from private people searching an owners version asking if I am willing to sell any soon.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:24   #228

Quote:
I don't think so. They are still great and very liveable catamarans and there is a huge demand. The fix is not that difficult and the new one will be built better in this area.

This will not stop people from buying a Lagoon. Look at the market, still a lot of people around searching for one.
I don't agree. That fix that was documented in those videos would be very expensive and I can't imagine how long it would take to schedule it.

I own and live full-time on a lagoon (not a 450) and have heard from a number of people in and out of the boating world wondering if we have the same problem.

We have a friend who is a multihull broker and he has told us that bulkhead issue is starting to have an impact. Buyers are wanting to see the bulkheads, sellers are refusing to remove the trim, and the quality surveyors are turning down 450 surveys.

I imagine insurance companies will be next when renewal time comes for 450 owners.

The impact to other models will come when Lagoon either refuses to pay for all the broken boats or they file for bankruptcy.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:25   #229

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
The fix is not that difficult...
Are you sure? I've been watching this dude on youtube... maybe you've heard of his channel, parlay revival?... it sure doesn't look like an easy fix.

Quote:
This will not stop people from buying a Lagoon. Look at the market, still a lot of people around searching for one.
That may be true, but that's what Owly was saying, and your response of 'just go buy something else' is exactly what he was saying.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:29   #230

Quote:
I get almost weekly PM enquiries from dealers and brokers and sometimes even from private people searching an owners version asking if I am willing to sell any soon.

Ah, well that explains your positive attitude, you're denying the issue and holding out hope that Lagoon doesn't fail, or that problems in you're own boat aren't exposed. Got it.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:58   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Ah, well that explains your positive attitude, you're denying the issue and holding out hope that Lagoon doesn't fail, or that problems in you're own boat aren't exposed. Got it.
C'mon, even sunken hurricane damaged Lagoons are searched and purchased every year, rebuilt and sail around in the Caribbean. Parlay Revival is a great example of how even wrecks are flipped for a quick dollar (they worked on some other projects too). There are a lot of opportunity hunters around, that will either offer a fix (paid labor) or a buy of a damaged bulkhead boat.

In Asia and latin America are enough boat yards with cheap and skilled people who can disassemble, laminate and reassemble a boat. They do quite impressive cabinetry work with very basic tools.

If Lagoon is only paying for rebuilt to their design standards and you don't feel comfortable with this, you always can hire someone to do the work to your expectations for a fraction of the Lagoon dealer cost estimations.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:03   #232

Quote:
I don't think so. They are still great and very liveable catamarans and there is a huge demand. The fix is not that difficult and the new one will be built better in this area.

"The fix is not that difficult" .......... really?? Have you been sleeping through all these videos? It's not that difficult to watch a few clips of people fixing their lagoon 450, but you obviously have no concept of the magnitude of the job, the costs and extreme amount of hard labor.......... "not that difficult"..... one of the silliest comments yet!!

Addressing this at the manufacturing level would not be all that difficult... the structure needs to be reengineered, and the sloppy construction quality addressed.

Only a fool owning a Lagoon 450 would NOT inspect and reinforce. Cracked or not, it would be utterly idiotic not to reinforce these structures unless one opened it up and found a far different structure.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:29   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post

"The fix is not that difficult" .......... really?? Have you been sleeping through all these videos? It's not that difficult to watch a few clips of people fixing their lagoon 450, but you obviously have no concept of the magnitude of the job, the costs and extreme amount of hard labor.......... "not that difficult"..... one of the silliest comments yet!!

Addressing this at the manufacturing level would not be all that difficult... the structure needs to be reengineered, and the sloppy construction quality addressed.

Only a fool owning a Lagoon 450 would NOT inspect and reinforce. Cracked or not, it would be utterly idiotic not to reinforce these structures unless one opened it up and found a far different structure.
Lagoon has made changes to the bulkhead on new 450's.

https://youtu.be/wdI8BzdQA7E
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:45   #234

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Aside from the fact that no owner is going to allow that type dismantling for inspection, no surveyor is going to do it either. Also, the scope shows that they didn't triple up the entire bulkhead, they added a couple strips of material to that outer edge of the bulkhead, which probably helps, but is not the same quality of a repair as what Colin did.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 15:39   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post

Yes, really. If it is done early, before all other bulkheads break, it is a very local repair around the two doors. You dont need to shred the whole boat. Collins repair is on the very extreme side, not all 450 are in that bad shape.

Do you own a 450 at all, or just troll Lagoon for fun?
Old 11-07-2021, 15:46   #236
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Yes, really. If it is done early, before all other bulkheads break, it is a very local repair around the two doors. You dont need to shred the whole boat. Collins repair is on the very extreme side, not all 450 are in that bad shape.

Some of Colins repairs had nothing to do with the bulkhead problem, it was redoing some of the shoddy original workmanship.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 23:08   #237

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Hmmm... if there is any validity in the predictions that the price of used 450s might suffer from the bad publicity, it might be a good thing to sell now... and there you are with all t hese potential buyers!

Jim
Old 11-07-2021, 23:27   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Some of Colins repairs had nothing to do with the bulkhead problem, it was redoing some of the shoddy original workmanship.
His detailed investigation made me realize just how much pretty looking joinery can hide. Given how much access the builder has with the deck separated from the hull during the production process, there is absolutely no excuse for some of the critical structural construction that was plainly shoddy.

Mumby had better start ramping up production.
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 23:44   #239
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelsidedown View Post
His detailed investigation made me realize just how much pretty looking joinery can hide. Given how much access the builder has with the deck separated from the hull during the production process, there is absolutely no excuse for some of the critical structural construction that was plainly shoddy.

Mumby had better start ramping up production.
answer is simple for you me simple don't buy this production cat, order new by your design in your preferred shipyard. i don't like you all this cat and mono assembling tehnic. you cant roff light cable exchange because in double cell panel deck is glued. but also don't have money for order low production boat but if i have money i don't want triple pay for this boat.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:26   #240

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Colin said he and Jamie worked 5 weeks on repairs and they are still not done with the final reinstallation. Lets just say you could get yard workers at $50 per hour which is doubtful so that would be $2000 a week X 5 weeks X 2 guys which comes to $20,000. Realistically yard labor rates are about double that plus haulout and yard fees and materials. Plus I think they put in more than 40 hours a week and they had some additional help from the young lady. This repair could easily exceed $50,000 for those that tried to have a yard do it.

Maybe they overdid it, maybe their boat was more thrashed than others but the entire process will not be any fun at all to you or your wallet.

Tags
lagoon