Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 21:03   #1

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Bali to Solomons which way and when to go

I need to get to the solomons from Bali. Right I know it's the wrong way but.... in any case lets hear a few ideas on when and which way as the info I am getting is all contradictory. Boats a good sea worthy lass with a nice long range but not a wizard to windward. Who's done it and who can spout off a bit about what to do and what to avoid. All tips considered......... even if just for a laugh.

Thanks in advance for the help
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:03   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Not as crazy as you might think and those who just read the Pilots will just advise you it is almost impossible.

For example, I just helped a friend with weather routing and logistics from the Philippines via Micronesia and Hawaii to Seattle. (They make landfall today in Anacortes!)

Don’t get me wrong…this is not my business, but those waters have huge variations when you understand the weather patterns and can use them to advantage.

Basically you have 2 choices.
Battle your way to Darwin and wait for large depressions to disrupt the Trades before doing same weather pattern heading to PNG Moresby then China Pass, provision in Milne Bay Alatou before crossing to the Solomons.

This way is shorter but much more weather dependant so you need good weather resources and patience.

The second is over the Top between Bantata and Salawati S1.0 and E130 40’

You are basically doing one huge Northerly tack, getting into the lighter and variable ITCZ which will help you make a better southing on the East coast of PNG with many options available to you depending on 7 day weather projections and your interests.

I have done both those passages to different destinations and once I updated myself on security issues via the Top route if satisfied that the pass can be transited safely at night, running black, that would be my choice for your type of craft.

Good luck
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:31   #3

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Bali to Solomons

Thanks sounds like you been there and done that. I am not so hot on stopping in Oz. Nice people mind you but they do have some very strange rules so rather than get in trouble for speaking my mind best avoid the place. The Northern route does have its attractions could you perhaps go a bit more into detail? And what time of year would be best all things considered?
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote