Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:04   #46
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
ARC There's about 60 or 70 of them entered. I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Entry List for World Cruising Club: ARC
Thanks for that link, Rick.
I am on the pick at Las Palmas, outside the soon to be full marina (sooner to be fuller anchorage!) but not ARC'ing going before or after depending on the weather.

But the way, I happened to see the race list for next years Antigua Sailing Week.

Quote:
Antigua Sailing Week 2011 (9 total entries, 0 orphaned entries)
CSA or IRC - Unallocated
Yacht name Sail no Design LOA Entrant Rating
BERENICE BIS ITA 18989 Nautor Swan 80 25m / 83'
JAGUAR TRI 547 Frers 43 13.28m / 43'
JIGSAW 5301c Oyster 53 16.005m / 52'
KUMA 3444 Alberg 37 Yawl 11m / 37'
Ocean Warrior SA 3625 Class 40 12.24m / 40'
Sea Life Beneteau Oceanis 393 11m / 39'
stormsvale Swan 40 12m / 40' Mike St. John
TomTom (Tom Tom) GBR2055L BENETEAU OCEANIS 393
I'm up against a frikkin Swan 80! An Oyster 53 and a Swan 40!
I'm gunna need some help! So if anyone is crusing that way in late April we could have a CF "Lets thrash the Swans" team!
And if we can't beat them lets just vie for drinks on the 80 footer...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:15   #47

Boat: deboated
Oh so amusing you guys really are ever so funny. Going on your descriptions it is a wonder they (Bavaria) even manage to stay afloat in the harbour. Knowing the Germans I am not surprised after all they build those totally rotten cars called mercedes, BMW, Golf etc so what can you expect. Their engineering ability is known the world over as totally crap so how can you expect them to build boats that float. Like I said totally amusing!!!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:18   #48

Good luck Mark.. Before thrashing the Swans you perhaps better ensure you can deal with the other 393

I think it is funny how Sea Life is shorter and yet longer then Tom Tom
Sea Life
Beneteau Oceanis 39311m / 39'

TomTom (Tom Tom)
BENETEAU OCEANIS 393 -
11.6m / 38'
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:55   #49
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I think it is funny how Sea Life is shorter and yet longer then Tom Tom
Sea Life
Beneteau Oceanis 39311m / 39'

TomTom (Tom Tom)
BENETEAU OCEANIS 393 -
11.6m / 38'
Thats obvious: He uses Marinas in the USA and I use them in Europe. Hence the smaller ft:M size....

But when we're braggin about our boats we are doing it in the oposites country!

I declare I will beat the mungral... even if I have to put on my fins and mask and swim under and plant some coral on his keel!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Knowing the Germans I am not surprised after all they build those totally rotten cars called mercedes, BMW, Golf etc....
As often when one tries to simplify matters one ends up head over heels in something way more complicated than the simple minded is prepared to understand........ i.e.: Where exactly in my above posting did you read a sentence like "The Germans are NOT ABLE to build solid boats.....?"
Did it ever cross your mind, that it was and is not the objective for Bavaria to build heavy-duty blue-water-cruising yachts?

The majority of their clientele would be ...hmmm, ... *sailing* the Baltic Sea or North Adriatic or between the Greek Islands in July or August. So anything more "solid" would price them right out of the water against the competition that can at least work with cheaper labor (Germany is one of the most labor-cost-intensive countries in Europe, in return they manage to accumulate and hold highly skilled people - everything has it's odds and merrits...)
right?

Does not change the fact, that mistaking a Bavria for a blue-water-cruiser would be just that: A major mistake.
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 13:36   #51

Boat: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThinking View Post
Nothing much to tell - just plain scary.......
(Dont know the exact English term, but when standing at the helm you would see the hull twist in every possible direction - the sounds it makes while doing so and even so there was a 5cm gap around the mast and the salon-table you better not stick your fingers into this gap while sailing or it get smashed there) ..... scary, REALLY scary!

I personally prefer British built and designed boats because they seem to follow the rule of thumb: "form follows function" while the french tend to get carried away with "design" and sometimes fall for the "function follows beauty" trap.
Many an UK built/designed boat seems to be plain ugly - but these things take their crews around the world, and again, and again - even outside the coconut-milk-run.

Not sure I follow your post - Bavaria's have NEVER had a keel stepped mast on a 38. If there is a 5cm gap around a mast collar (I might be mistaken but I think that is what you are saying) it was put there by a Bavaria hater!

Either way as skipper I would be very worried.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 14:18   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Not sure I follow your post - Bavaria's have NEVER had a keel stepped mast on a 38. If there is a 5cm gap around a mast collar (I might be mistaken but I think that is what you are saying) it was put there by a Bavaria hater!

You are obviously another simple thinker like myself. Don't you just love the superior tone.
"As often when one tries to simplify matters one ends up head over heels in something way more complicated than the simple minded is prepared to understand..."
Old 03-10-2010, 15:29   #53

Quote:
You are obviously another simple thinker like myself. Don't you just love the superior tone.
"As often when one tries to simplify matters one ends up head over heels in something way more complicated than the simple minded is prepared to understand..."
Well Meyermm

As a fellow resident of the "colony" I am reasonably sure we might be wrong about this but the Bavaria brand is pretty big in the land down under ( as you would know).

They do float ( but we only have saltwater here so what would we know)

Of course being down under all the blood has rushed to our head from hanging upside down so perhaps we don't have the ability to think straight?

Btw I saw a hummer the other day destroyed by an impact with a tree and rolled on it's roof. Must be the most unsafe car on the road I deduced from that observation.

Old 03-10-2010, 16:44   #54

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I guess the folks that sail across the Atlantic with ARC haven't heard that Bene/Bavaria/Jeanneau, etc. aren't Water boats">blue water boats. There's about 60 or 70 of them entered. I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Unless you decide to eat yours not on the pond but rather on the route from Cape Town to Perth, etc..

Mind the blue water has many different shades.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 18:25   #55

Quote:
Well Meyermm

As a fellow resident of the "colony" I am reasonably sure we might be wrong about this but the Bavaria brand is pretty big in the land down under ( as you would know).

They do float ( but we only have saltwater here so what would we know)

Of course being down under all the blood has rushed to our head from hanging upside down so perhaps we don't have the ability to think straight?

Btw I saw a hummer the other day destroyed by an impact with a tree and rolled on it's roof. Must be the most unsafe car on the road I deduced from that observation.
Please reread what I have written in context of other posters especially the one that I quoted. I AM ON YOUR SIDE fellow australian. I like Bavaria and would be happy to sail one across the Pacific + Jeanneau + Beneteau
Old 04-10-2010, 00:17   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Bavaria's have NEVER had a keel stepped mast on a 38. ...
I stand corrected: The one with the keel stepped mast was a Dehler 38 (Delivery of a new one in February 89 from Malta to Fethye)

Only did two trips on (a) a Bavaria and (b) a Dehler and both were about as equally scarry - the Dehler maybe less because the weather was not quite as bad.

Would I go on a circumnavigation with either? Nope! Absolutely not.

Could you cross the Atlantic with one of them? Yeah! Sure! Join the ARC and you'll probably see some ... but then: Beginning of November crossing the Atlantic can and has been done in /real!/ "bathtubs" and "rowing boats" and "floats" .... so I would not take that as proof of seaworthyness of any kind.
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 00:21   #57

Quote:
Please reread what I have written in context of other posters especially the one that I quoted. I AM ON YOUR SIDE fellow australian. I like Bavaria and would be happy to sail one across the Pacific + Jeanneau + Beneteau
Sorry Meyermm

I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, I do realize you are on my side.

But the Hummer was real. Never driving one of them!!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 00:29   #58

You know, I think the whole sturdily built v production boats thing is a bit like comparing cars and motorcycles.

I've done a few big tours around Europe both on a MC and in cars. On my bike I had limited luggage capacity which meant I had to be very judicious about what to take, especially when travelling two up, whilst in the car I could pack more freely. I had to plan my trips differently with shorter distances and more stops for the bike. Adverse weather conditions would delay my departure, cause a rerouting or an early run for shelter.

On the bike it is inherently more dangerous but at the same time it is great fun. Some people are happy to take the "risk" whilst others would never.

Yesterday I went on the Bavaria 39 I am chartering, my first thoughts about below deck they were on par with the other brands rather than like the stripped down show boats I have seen. tomorrow I sail
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:52   #59

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
No one is too fond of them production boats up our way either. Enough of em around Pittwater where they have enough money to go to the boat show and put one on the credit card as if it were a new Merc or BMW
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:59   #60

Hi Boxhead

Don't you have a few low hung bridges up your way as well?

Tags
bavaria