Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 12:53   #1

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Which Feels Roomiest ?

Looking to upgrade my CAL 34, I have a family of four, two young children and my wife. Would like something with a bit more room. probably wont make the jump for a year or more, so I have time to wait and research. I work through the internet so a nav station I can use to setup a laptop while being out of the way is ideal. my budget is around 75k. Boats that I have an interest in are the pearson 424, whitby 42 and choey lee offshore 41 (love the circular salon). The layouts on these vary but I have never been on one of them. I am wondering from those who have been on at least two of these, how do the feel vs one another? and for those who have cruised with small children, would a CC w/aft stateroom be ideal to a layout like whats on the p424 ? Are there similar boats that I am overlooking ? I plan to make seasonal trips down the east coast from NC to the Caribbean. any suggestions would be appreciated.
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 12:59   #2

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: which feels roomiest ?

my 2c

i think a cc with aft stateroom is perfect when loaded with rug rats... you and the missus will have 1/3 to yourselves, and when the kids inevitably invite somebody elses kids along, you are still in a safe haven..
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 17:00   #3

Boat: contessa 32

Bigger boat = more room, we all know that but otherwise room can be obtained by pushing out the accommodations to the hull which of course looks great in the showroom but when the new owners tries to stow their gear their will not be enough storage.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:14   #4

i am thinking more about the aft cockpit, just need to get on some of these and see how they feel to me I guess. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2013, 18:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

I've been on all 3. I would rate as follows 1 Pearson 2 Brewer 42 3 Cheoy Leaky
Old 02-07-2013, 18:55   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

you need to understand that the Cal 34 has already spoiled you.

Cal 40?
Old 02-07-2013, 19:00   #7

Boat: Endeavour 42

My cc Endeavour 40 has lots of room, with two private cabins and ensuite heads. And, it's for sale!
Old 02-07-2013, 19:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

I would add the Bristol 41 to your list
Old 02-07-2013, 20:53   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you are going for room the Morgan OutIsland 41 is arguably the roomiest boat for the length ever built and you should have no problem finding one within your budget.

Going from the Cal you will however be disappointed in the upwind sailing performance.

Have been on several 424s and 422s (the center cockpit, aft cabin version with same hull and rig as the 424) and a couple of Whitbys and Cheoy Lees. I bought a Pearson.

The 422s are a bit rare. Only 39 were built but I believe there is a 422 for sale in FL now but might be a little over your budget.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:31   #10

Re: Which Feels Roomiest ?

Thanks everyone. the 424 has really been the one I have zeroed in on the most. I actually have been on an OI, but really didnt like the lines, and heard the same thing regarding performance I need to have some type of woodwork which again draws me to the 424 and the choey lee. I started to worry about the 424 as it looks like interior room is lacking for a 42 due to the large cockpit but that could all just be my mistake, the 422 does seem to have more room, like the 419 which i would consider as well. Been waiting to see one up for sale locally so i can check it out but none yet.

I have even begun to add gulfstar 50's into the mix, I know of one I could have for in my budget thats in pretty good shape. love that huge aft cockpit, perfect for kids or taking another couple out for the weekend. my whole family could sleep back in that thing.

I hate to make it sound like space is the most important thing as its not, but It is important to keep the wife and kids happy so I can get them into the lifestyle.
Old 03-07-2013, 13:29   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
Thanks everyone. the 424 has really been the one I have zeroed in on the most. I actually have been on an OI, but really didnt like the lines, and heard the same thing regarding performance I need to have some type of woodwork which again draws me to the 424 and the choey lee. I started to worry about the 424 as it looks like interior room is lacking for a 42 due to the large cockpit but that could all just be my mistake, the 422 does seem to have more room, like the 419 which i would consider as well. Been waiting to see one up for sale locally so i can check it out but none yet.

I have even begun to add gulfstar 50's into the mix, I know of one I could have for in my budget thats in pretty good shape. love that huge aft cockpit, perfect for kids or taking another couple out for the weekend. my whole family could sleep back in that thing.

I hate to make it sound like space is the most important thing as its not, but It is important to keep the wife and kids happy so I can get them into the lifestyle.
You won't get an argument for me over the choice of a 424 or the 422. There are two 422s on the market that I know of.

I don't see mention of where you're located but if you are passing through north Florida you're welcome to come by and see a Pearson 422 that is partially disassembled.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 14:45   #12

Sorry just got my stats updated.

No, I'm in NC, with my boat near New Bern. Haven't seen any yet but I am sure as time goes on I can bump into some people.
Old 03-07-2013, 15:43   #13

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Sunblock,

Not trying to start a feud but what is wrong with the plastics from Europe?
Beneteau, Bavaria, Dehler, Dufor, Delphi, Elan, Jeanneau etc., some of which supply lots of room both cc and multi cabin models.
Are they too pricey in the states? Some even built there.
Ive just noticed that a lot of guys state side seem to talk only the yachts previously mentioned or is it a home grown thing, which there is nothing wrong with?
I see some American yachts out here and yes they are well built but I still think there is some good cheap euros.
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 16:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melani View Post
Hi Sunblock,

Not trying to start a feud but what is wrong with the plastics from Europe?
Beneteau, Bavaria, Dehler, Dufor, Delphi, Elan, Jeanneau etc., some of which supply lots of room both cc and multi cabin models.
Are they too pricey in the states? Some even built there.
Ive just noticed that a lot of guys state side seem to talk only the yachts previously mentioned or is it a home grown thing, which there is nothing wrong with?
I see some American yachts out here and yes they are well built but I still think there is some good cheap euros.
Derek
They do seem to a bit more costly for my location, past builders from around 1980 seem to be the sweet spot in price/value to me, just a matter of finding the right boat. I would take a look at anything so long as the price was right and it was local to me. one of the first boats I looked at was a Jeanneau voyage 12.5
Old 03-07-2013, 17:42   #15

Love my Nonsuch 30 you might also look at a 33 or 36.