Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 13:51   #46

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2
Re: What other sailboats have THIS layout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Would that actually be enough to go to a CC boat? Unless, of course, you like 'em.
We both like the general layout of a CC, although we don't have experience with one yet. I can see ventilation being an issue at anchor, but what are the downsides we might be missing? Our current boat with its master aft is a poor-mans CC without the walkaround berth and headroom, lol. comfortable now, but we'll be headed for waters warmer than 50F in the next boat.

We also like having the second head, if there is one, to be up in the V to make better use of that space. Tayana 48 is probably too big for us, but maybe a Trintella 42 if we can find one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t48_2.png
Views:	71
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	225258   Click image for larger version

Name:	t42_c.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	225259  

steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 14:32   #47

The best advice is to get out there and start getting on boats. Look... but also imagine yourself using it. How functionally can I cook? If someone’s cooking, can others help; pass by; access aft stateroom, etc.? Where will we all sit in the evening or while relaxing down below?

Develop your sense of likes and dislikes. Unfortunately, if this is your first boat, many of your tastes will develop with experience. Thus, seldom is the first boat a forever boat. You are smart in doing research such as this. Ask questions. But remember that the problem with advice is it is only as good as it’s source. There are some very knowledgeable people on here. And a lot of armchair cruisers - many of whom fancy themselves as experts. Many on forums are hung up on any boat that isn’t a 70’s, full keel, blue water boat - it’s a death trap. OK... I exaggerate, but you’ll understand as you read this and other forums. Safety at sea is critical, especially for passagemaking, and I’m not trying to downplay it. However, if you ever hang out with folks who cruise, they’ll advise that very little time aboard is on
‘passages”, but most at anchor, island and harbor hopping, or at a dock. Layout and “furnishings” and outfitting IS an important factor. Don’t discount it. Especially if comfort is important to your SO!! Assess YOUR use. And don’t get hung up on the oft repeated maxims and free advice. Many are tired, or come with a lot of caveats.

For example: THE galley! I don’t like linear galleys. I prefer opposing settee’s. Multiple personal reasons. However, a linear galley in the main cabin CAN work. For example - in your original shared plan - if the centerline bench is solidly anchored AND has a solid seat back (AKA Beneteau 423), there is nothing dangerous or problematic with it. I’ve been on them and would work the galley offshore - no hesitation. As others have stated, the “recommended” U shaped galley is often only better on one tack or the other. A better recommendation is - can you function and brace yourself comfortably on EITHER tack while cooking? On my boat (L-shaped galley-aft), on a starboard tack, I lean against the counter either side of the stove. On a Port tack, I have the companionway stairway to lean against. And as others have rightly opined - many of us plan meals ahead of time and don’t spend much time in galley when off shore. In my opinion, it mostly is an issue for multi-day, offshore movements. Which I would argue doesn’t apply to 90% of boaters.

3 stateroom vs. 2: I’m a fan of 3 stateroom boats. Yes... caveats apply. DO watch out for an abused charter boat. But you can also find decent used charter boats. And not every three cabin was a charter boat. After hangin upside down into the cockpit lockers on too many boats (that deep storage cave where the 3rd stateroom would have been) - I can tell you I don’t like them. Fortunately, SOME boats add a small door way through the head into that store room, but many, especially older boats do not. It is a PITA to drag stuff in and out of the pit. I LIKE my 3rd cabin aka: - The Storeroom. It has a full sized door that i can walk in and out of carrying stuff. Downsides? YUP. Smaller aft head. We decided for our use it wasn’t a big issue. And on boats 40’ or above, the heads are often just as big.

Heads: I agree that most boats at or less than 40’ don’t need 2 heads. However - (caveat again) - if you have multiple kids, and you’re sailing in no discharge zones... it’s nice to have that second head because (A) the smaller holding tanks fill quickly. Having a second helps. And (B) Some kid will put something really stupid in it, or use a whole roll of TP to wipe and you’ll REALLY be thankful you have that second head whilst you clear the first.

So - continue to ask questions. I hope I’ve shown that there are often no “right” or “wrong” answers. Just all of our opinions. Based on our own biases... which developed from our experiences. Those experiences just might be different from yours, or everyone else’s!

Best of luck

Forever learning
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 17:18   #48

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 has that layout, except the forward berth is an island with access from the sides - much easier than plain v-berth. The forward sail locker also makes the beam at the forward cabin greater.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 19:01   #49

Don’t all mass production boat have this option nowadays?
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 19:10   #50

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Friends have a 2011 Beneteau Oceanis 40 with the exact layout as posted by the OP. The two aft cabins are that small that they use one each when sleeping as one is not big enough for both of them. And making up beds in them is something of a challenge and often gets left as-is.

They are not voyagers so the linear galley works for them - they only use it when anchored which is most of the time . For me it doesn’t work at any time. The two cabin layout of the same boat had the potential to be far more sensible but then they enlarged the engine room reducing the aft berth and making it equally difficult to make bed up and it provides just one head with no increase in the front berth size.

Two heads? Ours has two heads which I wouldn’t want to change. 1st reason - redundancy. On a passage if something stops working in one, the other will get us there. On anchor, both aft and forward cabins are fully en-suite which is great (the attachment is Oceanis 40, not our boat)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5855E815-53BA-4A26-B79D-85D59D990B69.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	225270  
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 19:15   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Best thing i ever did was to go charter on a boat like the one the wife and had pretty much decided upon- we had a captain with us to keep us safe since we really didnt know much- we found out that our dream boat was not what we wanted- it would have worked but with that weeks knowledge we were able to make better choices - since you are not planning on living aboard try to go on some day sails with someone that has that layout etc- you will learn some things and make more informed choices-jmho
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 21:33   #52

Yes the layout looks like it was designed for charter.."beds and heads" but hey if you love it and it works for you then go for it. Its certainly not an ideal layout for crossing oceans but only a few cruisers do this so if your not into that gig almost any layout works..
It's also going to be light on storage but for marina living and weekend coastal cruising I'm sure it works ok. Your in an ideal position, you need a boat designed for very light duty use, mostly marinas and a bit of coastal cruising. You shouldn't have any real storage problems, you don't need watermakers and large solar systems etc. Allows you to buy an inexpensive high production boat that will get the job done. You know your mission so save a ton of money and don't over buy.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 22:12   #53

Boat: Peterson 25T / Sabre 362

The Grand Soleil 40 has it.
Dusty Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 23:11   #54

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

It’s not a charter boat. It’s how most 42’ 3 cabin boats made in the early to mid 2000’s were designed. The 3 cabin Catalina 42 could also be had with a centerline queen. Or maybe only the two cabin versions had the centerline queen in the forward cabin? The head forward of the Pullman is pretty terrible as far as standing room for a tallish person goes. Charter versions often had 4 cabins. Agree the the mid-ship galley is not great for meal prep in a seaway.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 23:23   #55

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
For a blue water sailor two heads works if you throw the seat away from the one closer to companionway and make it as a wet locker for the weather gear. When the weather is favourable it's a shower..

For most modern production cruisers made in the early-mid 2000’s, 40’ or more gets you two heads, under 40’ you get one head.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 07:35   #56

Boat: Tartan 40

I still prefer 1 larger head and more storage on most boats rather than 2 heads. Unless you really often have guests onboard... sure redundancy but also 1/2 the attention to each head so more likely to have failure. I have always followed a proactive rather than reactive head maintenance schedule which is easier since I have 1 head, and knock on wood never had it out of commission
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 07:45   #57

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

My Jeanneau SO409 has that exact layout and I love it!! I did 4,000+ nm on her in the past 4 years and she sails great. She's also big enough where two people could live on her comfortably. I actually wouldn't mind living on her... just gotta convince the admiral to want to do the same
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-1093.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	225287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1089.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	225288  

Name:	IMG-1082.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	225289  
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 07:48   #58
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you like this layout: the most beautiful implementation is the (older) Beneteau First 45F5. This design was done by Pininfarina, the design studio that also does Ferrari etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 07:56   #59

Ovni, boreal, garcia, allures and sirius, nordship all have linear galleys. They are all hardcore offshore boats. Nothing wrong with a well designed linear galley. The OPs layout seem to have a backrest behind the galley which is what is on the Boreal, no strap needed. I don’t think anyone would say a boreal is a charter boat.

Maybe its a european vs uk/american thing. All the traditional american boats have u shaped galleys.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 07:59   #60
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

So who here in this thread knows why the galley should be on the port side?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat