Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2020, 08:55   #16

Re: Trying to sell or otherwise dispose of Caliber 33

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER, please:

A lot depends on condition of the boat as-is today.

Organizations that seek donated boats in the Chesapeake area have become very picky. They want something to sell, and not something that will entail costs to "hold" or renovate.

What the worst that can happen if a boat's completely unattended ? Its not uncommon that a boat's cockpit drains fail in-time from leaves and trash and rotted covers -- and then that water enters the interior. It may enter through failed hatches, former caulked areas, too. If there's no outlet below, this water will destroy laminates and wooden bulkheads, wiring, motor etc. The water inside may weigh enough to cause the jack-stands to push in if not deform a hull.

A lot of these boats become scavenged: lead removed, winches, etc., too and the property owner who has such a vessel left finds they have a costly disposal problem. I saw this happen and the scavenger had nothing more than a hacksaw and hammer.

MD has a machine somewhere for grinding such hulls. I'm sorry to be Mr Doom

I may PM with a suggestion.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:01   #17

Boat: Caliber 33

Hello: i live near Annapolis and currently own and sail a Caliber 33 on the Chesapeake. I'd like to take a look at your boat.
Rhutchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:14   #18

Boat: Seidelmann 299 30

Hi;
I am 2 1/2 hours away from Chesapeake and would like more detailed information and would like location and permission to inspect boat. Am a boat restorer who would bring it up to sailing condition or prep for sale.
louisstubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:30   #19

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Just an idea -

Recently a friend moved from Washington state to Alaska with very little notice. His small sailboat remained behind. He took out an ad in Craigs list with his contact details and vetted all the people who responded. The ones he wanted to show the boat to he notified me with their contact details and I showed the boat for him. I was able to add some details as to whether they were serious, or just looky-loos. I went out with 2 or 3 for a sea trial. I took the money from the buyers and sent it to him, he did all the bill of sale stuff electronically/remotely from Alaska.

I may have made this sound more complicated than it really was, it really only involved about 20 hours of my time. If you still have friends in the Chesapeake area, maybe this might work.

I did this out of friendship, but my buddy sent 50 pounds of frozen halibut and salmon that he had caught down to Washington and I was a happy camper.
Old 25-10-2020, 09:32   #20

Until someone see's the boat it is all just talk. Get one of the above 2 guys to look at it.
Be prepared for what the MLP48 said. We just watched a 30 Morgan get trashed cause no one could sell it. There is a Columbia 29 in our marina about to go the same way. Marina wants $300 for it - no takers. I gave away a 29 Soverel that was sailing, being used and in good condition just to keep it from the landfill. No one wanted to buy it. I was lucky finding a guy who liked old boats and had a big trailer. I wanted my slip for my next boat. Had to chalk it up to experience. Best of luck with it, just don't expect too much.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:50   #21
GS3

Sorry, I thought it was clear the boat is on dry land outside.

One of the brokers I communicated with had a look at it and it seems to be in relatively good condition for a boat which has been out there for so long. It is not flooded or destroyed.

Regarding papers I do not believe it is or was documented and it is not registered in MD where it is located because it does not need to be registered if it is in storage and not used.
GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 10:10   #22

Boat: Island Packet 420

There is a used boat lot that specializes in selling sailboats under $30,000 with reasonable commissions. It is called backyardboats.

Backyard Boats

I purchased and then resold my first sailboat there. They are in Shady Side, just south of Annapolis. Give them a call and tell them of your situation. They will put the boat on the hard while they try to sell it. It has been quite awhile, but I recall they did not charge storage when they were selling the boat.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 10:12   #23

There was a post just a day or two ago where the CF poster is looking to live on a boat for a season.

Work something out: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ne-241613.html

There are groups that teach kids to sail. At 33 foot, your boat would seem like the QEII. Sea Scouts is a division of the Boy Scouts. https://seascout.org/ The Coast Guard Auxilliary may consider a donation as a training vessel. American Youth Hostels has some sailing programs as well. They are all volunteer clubs with good standards. These are some ideas that comes to mind.

I've also met young men who have rehabbed boats like yours and then set off on their adventure. Being young, they don't have much money but are rich with time and energy. I'm not sure how you'd find them, but although few and far between, they do exist.

Selling parts and disposing of the boat will not make you any money. If you get a tax credit for making a charitable donation, that might be your best bet. Other than that, market it through Craigslist, Facebook and set the price low.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 10:37   #24
GS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
There is a used boat lot that specializes in selling sailboats under $30,000 with reasonable commissions. It is called backyardboats.

Backyard Boats

I purchased and then resold my first sailboat there. They are in Shady Side, just south of Annapolis. Give them a call and tell them of your situation. They will put the boat on the hard while they try to sell it. It has been quite awhile, but I recall they did not charge storage when they were selling the boat.
Thanks! I know them. Looks promising and will contact them.

Just for general info, the boat is not like it is abandoned in the middle of a field like some seem to think might be the case. Both the marina and a broker are keeping an eye on it and inform me of the state of it and any problems that might come up.
Old 25-10-2020, 10:55   #25

Boat: 1997 Hunter 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS3 View Post
Not too long there was a thread by someone who wanted to dispose of a sailboat (about 27'?) but could not find buyers and he was considering breaking it up for parts. I cannot find the thread now and would appreciate someone who could find it.

This thread is along a similar vein. I thought of putting it in the Boat Classifieds section but that requires posting more information than I really have at this point. Mods please move this thread if you feel it fits better in another section of the forums.

I own a Caliber 33 sailboat which has been in dry storage for about twenty years now. It is located on the Chesapeake Bay, somewhat south of Annapolis.

I put her in dry storage hoping to sail her again soon but the best laid plans of mice and men and all that got in the way and it has finally become evident that it is not going to happen. In fact, I should have disposed of the boat long time ago but I kept my hope up as long as I could. Finally, I have come to realize that it makes no sense to keep paying for storage for a boat which I will not be able to sail again and, with much regret and heavy heart, I need to do something.

I am located in Europe and the boat is located on the Chesapeake Bay so it is not like I can take care of things personally in situ.

I exchanged emails with a broker and he has seen the boat and told me it is not something he would be interested in because they are interested in more expensive boats, ready to sail and which would yield a nice commission.

I have been advised that I can donate it to some non-profit but I want to make an effort to recoup some of the value and some of the thousands paid in storage over the years. I believe the boat has some value which can be realized and which I would like to recoup if at all possible. My financial situation requires that I try my best to get what I can.

As the OP of the other thread said, there is plenty of value in the boat if broken up but, realistically, I am not there to break it up and, even then, many other complications come up.

I’ve been told the boat is an unknown and buyers are looking for boats ready to sail away.

If I were there I could prepare her for show and sail but as I am an ocean away that is out of the question.

I believe it would make a nice renovation project and I am only sorry I cannot be there and do it myself.

I have thought of maybe trying to contact some mechanic’s or boat repair shop who could do a basic review and preparation.

So, I am looking for advice and maybe help in trying to dispose of the boat.
Calibre’s are great boats. I would suggest looking online for a Calibre owners club/group/website and posting her for sale there. I’d also post in owners clubs of similar boats such as Island Packet, Watkins, Bayfields, Cherubini Hunters. Cape Dory, Morgan, Endeaver. Word will spread rapidly.
Best of Luck!
salfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 10:55   #26
GS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
There was a post just a day or two ago where the CF poster is looking to live on a boat for a season.
Thanks but it looks like he is looking for a motor boat, not sail.

As for your other ideas they are in line with what I am thinking. Thanks.
Old 25-10-2020, 10:58   #27
GS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfarina View Post
Calibre’s are great boats. I would suggest looking online for a Calibre owners club/group/website and posting her for sale there. I’d also post in owners clubs of similar boats such as Island Packet, Watkins, Bayfields, Cherubini Hunters. Cape Dory, Morgan, Endeaver. Word will spread rapidly.
Best of Luck!
Good idea; thanks.
Old 25-10-2020, 11:10   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS3 View Post
Not too long there was a thread by someone who wanted to dispose of a sailboat (about 27'?) but could not find buyers and he was considering breaking it up for parts. I cannot find the thread now and would appreciate someone who could find it.

This thread is along a similar vein. I thought of putting it in the Boat Classifieds section but that requires posting more information than I really have at this point. Mods please move this thread if you feel it fits better in another section of the forums.

I own a Caliber 33 sailboat which has been in dry storage for about twenty years now. It is located on the Chesapeake Bay, somewhat south of Annapolis.

I put her in dry storage hoping to sail her again soon but the best laid plans of mice and men and all that got in the way and it has finally become evident that it is not going to happen. In fact, I should have disposed of the boat long time ago but I kept my hope up as long as I could. Finally, I have come to realize that it makes no sense to keep paying for storage for a boat which I will not be able to sail again and, with much regret and heavy heart, I need to do something.

I am located in Europe and the boat is located on the Chesapeake Bay so it is not like I can take care of things personally in situ.

I exchanged emails with a broker and he has seen the boat and told me it is not something he would be interested in because they are interested in more expensive boats, ready to sail and which would yield a nice commission.

I have been advised that I can donate it to some non-profit but I want to make an effort to recoup some of the value and some of the thousands paid in storage over the years. I believe the boat has some value which can be realized and which I would like to recoup if at all possible. My financial situation requires that I try my best to get what I can.

As the OP of the other thread said, there is plenty of value in the boat if broken up but, realistically, I am not there to break it up and, even then, many other complications come up.

I’ve been told the boat is an unknown and buyers are looking for boats ready to sail away.

If I were there I could prepare her for show and sail but as I am an ocean away that is out of the question.

I believe it would make a nice renovation project and I am only sorry I cannot be there and do it myself.

I have thought of maybe trying to contact some mechanic’s or boat repair shop who could do a basic review and preparation.

So, I am looking for advice and maybe help in trying to dispose of the boat.
Can you let the tax man take her?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 12:31   #29

What marina is your boat in? I have my boat on deale md (just south of Annapolis.). I might be able to swing by and take some pictures of your boat if it is close by.
DonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 13:11   #30

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

I wasn't familiar with Caliber but found this article in Practical Sailor:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...ews/caliber-33
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal