Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 11:18   #46

Re: Trying to sell or otherwise dispose of Caliber 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS3 View Post
Well, that didn't work out. Caliber went out of business some years ago and it seems the owner has done (or tried to do) some brokerage in the past but not now.

I might try to contact repair shops in the area (motors, rigging, etc.) and ask if they can help.

I saw there is another thread about free or low cost boats which I cannot find now. Maybe I should have put it there.

Just out of curiosity, what might it cost to unstep the mast, put the boat on a cradle and transport by road it to, say, TX or FL?

My yard's owner in MA is also a hauler. Or a hauler with a boatyard.

He charges $7/ft to unstep the mast and same to step it. Also $7/ft to put the vessel on a trailer and then $7/ft per mile (one way plus any tolls and permits, if required). These rates are for relatively short hauls, say up to 200miles. Perhaps long hauls are cheaper per mile.

I know that MA is generally on a higher side as far as haul fees are concerned. But this guy is the cheapest in the 35-40' range. There are cheaper outfits in 20-30' range but they often can't handle 30-35'+ boats.

There used to be a site for haulers where one could get an auction type quote for a haul and get really competitive prices. But at some point they were bought out by I think u-ship.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:27   #47

Has this boat been covered the entire time? I've never seen a tarp or shrinkwrap endure multiple years. They eventually fail. Is the covering still intact on this vessel? If not, there is a good possibility this boat isn't salvageable.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 13:05   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Question? You are in Europe with the boat in the US. If you are paying US sizable income taxes, depending on the amount, a contribution may be your best bet. If not after that no. of years on the hill let it go for property taxes. I don't see you recouping money just spending more keeping it on the hill and taxes..
Not meaning to be a harbinger of bad tidings.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 17:08   #49

Quote:
Well, that didn't work out.
I saw there is another thread about free or low cost boats which I cannot find now. Maybe I should have put it there.
Aye, Maybe you should have.
Maybe you should or could have been more forth coming with relevant information. Example .The storage fees.
You were asked & you ignored / refused to divulge.
I'm out...
As he pushes away from the table.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:17   #50

The thread you're looking for is:

Free or Close to Free
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ee-197948.html
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 14:00   #51

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Well, that didn't work out. Caliber went out of business some years ago and it seems the owner has done (or tried to do) some brokerage in the past but not now.

I might try to contact repair shops in the area (motors, rigging, etc.) and ask if they can help.

Just out of curiosity, what might it cost to unstep the mast, put the boat on a cradle and transport by road it to, say, TX or FL?

500 miles to transport a 35' LOA with an 11' beam was going to cost me $6500. The boat I was looking at was under height restrictions of 13'. Width restrictions are 8'6" most places and 8' others. 33' won't pose a length issues. Unstepping masts depends on the company doing it. I've seen it done with a small crane for $150. I also know a guy that paid $1100 to unstep a 37' boat mast. He was not knowledgeable and was taken to be quite fair.

I would be interested in the boat if I had pics inside and out and some kind of a report. I've been looking for a 33-40' live aboard sailboat, preferably a long keep blue water boat. There are so many boats in the east in laid up condition that marinas can't give them away. I have looked at boats that have been laid up for up to 30 years. I've had boats that were in good condition offered to me for nothing. Take the paper work and get it outta here kinds of deals. Sailboats aren't selling well. People looking for sailboats can be very picky especially if they're DIY people like me.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:21   #52
GS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
My yard's owner in MA is also a hauler. Or a hauler with a boatyard.

He charges $7/ft to unstep the mast and same to step it. Also $7/ft to put the vessel on a trailer and then $7/ft per mile (one way plus any tolls and permits, if required). These rates are for relatively short hauls, say up to 200miles. Perhaps long hauls are cheaper per mile.

I know that MA is generally on a higher side as far as haul fees are concerned. But this guy is the cheapest in the 35-40' range. There are cheaper outfits in 20-30' range but they often can't handle 30-35'+ boats.

There used to be a site for haulers where one could get an auction type quote for a haul and get really competitive prices. But at some point they were bought out by I think u-ship.
Thanks for the information. It confirms my rough estimate that moving the boat south might cost in the 10K range. I have someone with a slight interest but I would have to subtract the cost of transport and it is probably not worth it.

Another thing I had not thought of is that if I donate it I can get a tax deduction. Not much but better than nothing. It depends on the valuation of the boat but I think 10-15K is reasonable.

I am still going to investigate a bit more about the possible options. It seems to me like breaking her up for parts might still be an option. I think the motor, rigging, winches, etc might still get more than the cost of breaking up and landfilling the hull.

I am still considering all possible options. Thanks to all who are contributing ideas. Please keep them coming.
GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 17:07   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I work in the industry and, as a favor, am happy to go check on the boat, send you current pix, and my opinion of her current condition; no charge, as it seems that might help. Send me a PM if interested. I'm in Annapolis at least once a week and am familiar with all the yards, brokers, etc.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 09:17   #54

Any word on this boat?
argosail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal