Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 12:53   #31

Re: Scenario : Bluewater Monohull 50k$ budget

Might want to consider older Morgans as well. I have a fully restored 38 Yawl that I have sailed singlehandedly thousands of miles. She's a cruising boat but has still won many races, just a great sailing boat. She'll sleep 5, has shower, refrigeration, generator, new awlgrip paint, and ac. I would sell her for 39,000. 950 hours on new Perkins diesel.
dhuff1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 15:51   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If you want to keep the total cost to $50k you need to spend less than $30k on the boat. Things like a good dinghy, new ground tackle, better windlass, better chart plotter, radar, HF radio, a new sail or two, good auto pilot, etc, etc.. You might need $80K
Why do you want a chart plotter? Why do you want radar? HF radio? Why not VHF? Good ground tackle ..YES. Dinghy not too important but one that works! with a basic outboard. On a boat less than 33 feet you can hand an anchor , windlass not needed.
Get a good solid longish keel boat, no frills but less problems.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
Why do you want a chart plotter? Why do you want radar? HF radio? Why not VHF? Good ground tackle ..YES. Dinghy not too important but one that works! with a basic outboard. On a boat less than 33 feet you can hand an anchor , windlass not needed.

Sextant costs 3 times more than chartplotter. Lol
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:15   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This is the approved yacht list for the 2018 Golden Globe Race. Something here may be of interest.
"2018 Golden Globe Race approved designs: Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34."
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:16   #35

Quote:

Sextant costs 3 times more cost than chartplotter. Lol
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:36   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Personally I feel the only way to get a $50k fully ready boat is to find the boat some dreamer spent years getting ready just to scare the crap out themselves the first few months out and decide to "dump" their boat!
Old 14-09-2017, 16:37   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Sextant costs 3 times more than chartplotter. Lol
You may not be aware but you can still buy hand-held GPSs and paper charts, and all together they would be cheaper than a chartplotter plus the map cartridges needed to make them run. With the added benefit of being more durable and if you spent the extra $50 you would have a redundant GPS.

Also a low end sextant is about $60, with all the ancillary materials, about $200-250. Such a setup would be sufficient to make most passages that didn't involve complex landfalls such as the Milkyway off Tierra del Fuego or the Tuamotu archipelago.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 17:08   #38

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
. On a boat less than 33 feet you can hand an anchor , windlass not needed.
A Hans Christian 33 fully loaded came to mind when I saw that. Stormy night, 2am, anchor is dragging and no windlass.
You must be really salty or not, because in our adventures almost everybody had the stuff I mentioned and often more. Like Email at sea, ais, windvanes, wind generators, solar panels, dive gear, more anchors etc, etc.
If you wait for the price of a boat to get really low, all that stuff is worn out.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 17:37   #39

Boat: Hudson 44 Center Cockpit Ketch

Quote:
Hummm.... no Plotter, no radar, no SSB, and ocean crossing in the plans? Sounds like a recipy for disaster. Definately do not plan on sailing at night within 20 miles of any shore.
Oh and anchors do get stuck hard sometimes and sailig offshore even for a 30' boat, atleast 50 meter of chain and 30 lb anchor is needed, not fun pulling that up by hand, but i suppose a halyard winch could be used.....

Sure people use paper still and i find a guy still using a sextant as a back up, with years of experience i may add!! but to advise the OP to go back to the dark ages and sail blind and without any communication is not good advice. Better to stay home.
Isla Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 17:57   #40

You have time ( /age ) on your side which gives you some alternatives , e.g. , you could snap up a suitable boat now and spend a year or so customising it to your requirements while you still work and build the nest egg and then set off whenever suits , you never know , in a few years you might want a change and you can then go back on land and work again , or you can , as you said , do another ten years and then buy and retire , also I would recommend getting all the toys while you still working and can afford them ,,,,I have seen a few early '80 s mid 30s ft Moody's for sale around your budget , lots of room for the l o a ., surprised no one has mentioned so far .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 18:11   #41

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla Aid View Post
Hummm.... ... ... even for a 30' boat, atleast 50 meter of chain and 30 lb anchor is needed, not fun pulling that up by hand, but i suppose a halyard winch could be used.....
Agreed 90% of what you say. Only quibble is I find I hardly ever use the windlass on our 33', almost always haul in 50' of 10mm plus Rocna (which is often deep buried) by hand, because that's what we'd do in emergency, so may as well do it anyway. A good chain-stopper is almost as effective as a windlass on a small boat, though we don't even have that. And the OP is just a young guy! (Oh we haven't used our radar either, though there sure is a great list of things that are definitely nice to have, especially if you can't wait for the fog to clear before approaching.)
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 18:14   #42

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Then you always have some "dreamer" that spent 3 decades and thousands of dollars on a boat they loved, accomplished their dream and decided to move on, maybe to a bigger boat that was too expensive 30 years ago with kids, wives, homes and jobs.

Been there, done that and still have the too small tee (now)shirts .

Lookin' for that center cockpit with the queen, aft cabin berth.

Jewt
S/V Bifrost
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 21:34   #43

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
This is the approved yacht list for the 2018 Golden Globe Race. Something here may be of interest.
"2018 Golden Globe Race approved designs: Westsail 32 • Tradewind 35 • Saga 34 • Saltram 36 • Vancouver 32 & 34 • OE 32 • Eric (sister ship to Suhaili) • Aries 32 • Baba 35 • Biscay 36 • Bowman 36 • Cape Dory 36 • Nicholson 32 MKX-XI • Rustler 36, Endurance 35, Gaia 36, Hans Christian 33T, Tashiba 36, Cabo Rico 34, Hinckley Pilot 35, Lello 34, Gale Force 34."
Ah that Hinckley Pilot is a sweet old school design. Get that one! A bit different from the others, and not as roomy, but that would be my choice. In spite of its sleek lines it too has what Olin Stephens valued and wrote in "Heavy Weather Sailing" that to him the more important spec for a boat was the displacement/length and that it should be between 300 and 400.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:38   #44

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ah that Hinckley Pilot is a sweet old school design. ... displacement/length ... should be between 300 and 400.
But most of the boats on that Golden Globe list are sweet-as, old-school!
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:45   #45

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morane View Post
Is it hard to single handle a 40' ?
Knowing that since I want to keep it simple and low maintenance, I will most likely not have these expensive gadgets that make single handling a lot easier. (Bow thrusters and such)
Some things are easier and some things are more difficult. Away from the dock and offshore, a 40' is almost optimal for single handing; it's a much more stable platform than a 30' or even 35' yet the sail plan is manageable for one person if intelligently outfitted and maintained.

Docking single handed is, of course, relatively more difficult in a larger boat. But you get used to it, develop strategies, tactics, and skills, and you get it done most of the time. That said, there are times when I will stand off and wait for improved conditions where a smaller boat would have an easier time of it. That's usually when there are crosswinds or currents at play and there is no one to catch a line for me. You can't step off your boat onto the dock until you are absolutely sure that you have it secured or under control. Have witnessed a few who have violated that rule with unfortunate (and sometimes humorous) consequences. Evaluation, knowing your boat, and planning are key.

If I were you I would buy the smallest boat that fit my needs. Costs go up almost exponentially as you add length, both in purchase and maintenance. Smaller boat equals more money for fitting out as required and more money to actually go sailing on.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, budget, hull, monohull, water