Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 10:23   #76

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory '27
Re: Rigging too tight - Mast compressed deck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I built a new beam and mast support system for my Alberg 30 out of G10 fiberglass board
My old blog may still be up Adventures of Salacia
Lots of photos....G10 is easy to work with...not too expensive and lasts forever.
Hey Cruiser 2B: I'm reading your blog and it's definitly giving me ideas. The G10 material looks like a dream to work with. You have any pictures of the finished product? And, how's it held up over time?
mikebikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 10:52   #77

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

If no one has said it, post on the CDSOA (Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Assoc) forum. Vast wealth of knowledge specific to your model. I had a CD 26 and found it extremely helpful.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 11:07   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
If no one has said it, post on the CDSOA (Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Assoc) forum. Vast wealth of knowledge specific to your model. I had a CD 26 and found it extremely helpful.
Yes, I've got a thread going over there.
Old 22-10-2020, 10:51   #79

Got a quote back for cutting the piece of 4"x4"x0.5" 316 steel, $156

So total for the beefy piece of steel will be $340

I don't think that's too awful for what it is

I'm also considering making some arches on either side of the bulkhead out of G10, similar to what Cruiser2B did, as a general strengthening of the entire deck around the mast.

But that might not really be necessary after this beefy steel member is in place.

First step will be to cut away some of that ceiling liner to see what's behind there. Will post pics as soon as I can.
Old 22-10-2020, 22:05   #80

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am still thinking the 4" hanging down will be extreme and if there were no downside to it, then fine, but I'd bet a 3" I-beam will hold over 10,000# over 22" span. There must be tables for that kind of thing in engineering books.
When I grow up I want to be an engineer.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 09:20   #81

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Join the members on the Cape Dory website to get pertinent information on your model CD and some repair ideas. The sailing season is winding down , so spend the time to tackle this repair. It's not a big job at all if you're the type of person who can work with simple tools . The mast will have to be removed, on a 27 footer it is a bit of a job for two people, but a crane can make quick work of it.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 09:26   #82

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978

The Cape Dory 27 has a unique deck step compression situation where there is a steel plate within the deck distributing the loads to the bulkheads.

Are you bulkheads rotten at all?

Are there any holes that have allowed water to seep into the deck and rot away the steel compression plate?

I have a Cape Dory 27 - PM me if you need any help, I have a lot of documentation on the boat and understand the rigging very well
Old 23-10-2020, 10:36   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post
The Cape Dory 27 has a unique deck step compression situation where there is a steel plate within the deck distributing the loads to the bulkheads.

Are there any holes that have allowed water to seep into the deck and rot away the steel compression plate?

I have a Cape Dory 27 - PM me if you need any help, I have a lot of documentation on the boat and understand the rigging very well
Hi Sailor Grant - I've checked the bulkheads, I don't see any rot. There are signs of water intrusion underneath the mast boot. A PO had jammed a bit of paper towel between the mast boot and the liner, (maybe to stop a drip? ) which was kinda damp the last time I checked it. It's also stained a brown color which could be rust. Could also be tannins from the deck core, or plain old dirt. Not sure...

Will PM you!
Old 23-10-2020, 10:50   #84

I was talking with a knowledgeable rigger about setting the tension on my Catalina 22, When we set it we didn’t used a tensioning device, being a deck step mast. We tuned it by feel.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 11:50   #85

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have not read the other responses, but I would think that in most cases it would be virtually impossible to get the rigging too tight unless you did so unevenly and tweaked the mast. If you've ever tried to tighten a windward shroud while sailing you would find that it is pretty much impossible to turn the turnbuckle while under that load. If you try hard enough you might very well strip the threads before actually getting the shroud tighter.

The loads on the rig are pretty constant for a given force of wind (or wind and waves) and that is the compression load that gets transferred to the mast step. Tightly tuned rigs and loose rigs should have virtually the same loading in any comparable wind and sea condition for the same boat.

If I'm incorrect I'm sure I will find out now.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:16   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Have not read the other responses, but I would think that in most cases it would be virtually impossible to get the rigging too tight unless you did so unevenly and tweaked the mast. If you've ever tried to tighten a windward shroud while sailing you would find that it is pretty much impossible to turn the turnbuckle while under that load. If you try hard enough you might very well strip the threads before actually getting the shroud tighter.

The loads on the rig are pretty constant for a given force of wind (or wind and waves) and that is the compression load that gets transferred to the mast step. Tightly tuned rigs and loose rigs should have virtually the same loading in any comparable wind and sea condition for the same boat.
This supports my theory that this was an issue going back to before I owned the boat. I noticed a few quick fixes that someone had done which pointed to this sagging happening already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
If I'm incorrect I'm sure I will find out now.
Old 31-10-2020, 17:58   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post

Hey Sailor I've PMd you twice but no response. Perhaps I did it wrong. WOuld love to see the materials you have

Today I cut out some of the inner liner to have a better look underneath the deck. I saw rust. I think somehow, water is getting in there. Also, I stuffed a couple paper towels in there a week ago, and since then we've had rain. They were soaked, not damp, soaked.

Looks like I'll be recoring that area of the deck next spring.
Old 31-10-2020, 20:29   #88

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebikeboy View Post
Hey Sailor I've PMd you twice but no response. Perhaps I did it wrong. WOuld love to see the materials you have

Today I cut out some of the inner liner to have a better look underneath the deck. I saw rust. I think somehow, water is getting in there. Also, I stuffed a couple paper towels in there a week ago, and since then we've had rain. They were soaked, not damp, soaked.

Looks like I'll be recoring that area of the deck next spring.
Is there core in there? I would have thought not.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:30   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Is there core in there? I would have thought not.
I'm really not sure how this area of the deck is constructed. I'm hoping it's solid glass but from what I've learned, there are slabs of mild steel imbedded in there and if they get exposed to moisture they will rot, which I'm kinda thinking is what happened to mine.
Old 22-06-2021, 09:04   #90

I ended up going the compression post route. Seemed a lot more straightforward to me. I can easily slip past the post so it's just a small inconvenience. The post can be removed after the rig tension is eased a bit, so if at anchor for a few days the passageway can be cleared.

Tags
deck, mast, rigging