Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 17:12   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhrly View Post
Is there a down side to the pilothouse boats? How come everyone doesn't have one?
Slow learners . I was one , in my youth.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 17:47   #32

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
What are some general thoughts on the Corbin 39 Pilothouse, aftcockpit or centercockpit?
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:07   #33

Boat: Columbia
Really liking some of the designs of the pilothouse boats out there.. Some of the older ones have good lines also. Nice to know also that if we fell in love with a boat with out that a nice canopy can be had. Have yet to be aboard a pilothouse. Will be nice to check some out.
buhrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 18:33   #34

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Sometimes the beauty of a pilot house has to grow on you with use. Your first impressions may be negative but travel with it and you might not want to do otherwise in the NW
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 20:17   #35

Boat: Bristol 38.8
If you think pilot houses are passe, call it a raised salon with an inside steering station.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 13:19   #36

Boat: Island Packet 40
Pilot houses and hard dodgers

I have not sailed in cold climates, but can say that I would like to have a pilot house or hard dodger on my next boat. A good compromise might be something like the hard dodger that Hallberg Rassey offers. The Trintellas have a bigger "dog house" that they've fit in nicely with the lines of the boat.

Even though I had a full enclosure and soft dodger on Eventyr, I really disliked the durability and visibility of the plastic windows. They're ok when they're new, but don't last long in the tropics. Even the highest quality materials degrade in a year or two of tropical sun. I would greatly prefer glass like in the HR (see the Mahina website for an example). The disadvantage here for Pac NW cruising is the lack of defrosters/heat/wipers and the fact that it is not a wheelhouse. You could run the boat with an autopilot remote from here, but not steer in close quarters.
Old 09-02-2010, 13:46   #37

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I am just wondering, if you have a pilot house on a sloop or on a centre cockpit ketch, what do you do with the mainsail sheet? Is it somehow redirected into the pilothouse?
Old 09-02-2010, 14:20   #38

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
Smile

Quote:
So it seems that if one was to look for an older
Others.....
Add the "Freedom 39PH" to the list. We did the inside passage in 2001 with our Nodic 40. Then did Mexico and finally dried out in Hawaii. Sold the Nordic and are comfortably enjoying the PNW in our dry, warm Freedom 39PH equiped with her hydronic heater. The only way to sail these waters.
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 15:22   #39

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Add the Challenger Anacapa 42 too! CC Pilothouse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearhunter at anchor.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	13101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearhunter 14.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	13102  

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 16:34   #40

Boat: Columbia
Challenger Anacapa 42 I like how the outside steering is raised for better visibility.
buhrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:11   #41

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Challenger Anacapa 42 I like how the outside steering is raised for better visibility.
Thank You! We like it too!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 22:58   #42

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I am just wondering, if you have a pilot house on a sloop or on a centre cockpit ketch, what do you do with the mainsail sheet? Is it somehow redirected into the pilothouse?
In general, the pilothouse on a larger boat doesn't have winches inside. I don't know about smaller boats. Mine is a 65' pilothouse ketch, and the pilothouse is really massive inside (like a second salon, almost) but there's a full-sized cockpit immediately astern with a raised wheel for outside operation.

Actually my only problem with the pilothouse is that it makes the main boom a danger when operating the outside wheel.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 00:09   #43

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
This is my Amazon 44, steel, described as having a "raised salon pilothouse." Visibility over the bow from inside is not great, and as previous posters have noted the pilothouse is mostly for motoring. But that protected steering station is wonderful in nasty conditions, with a joystick to separate hydraulic pump as well as the autopilot head.

My biggest complaint is solar heat gain with those low-angled windows... the sleekness comes at a cost. I have curtain panels that attach with powerful magnets, and that helps a lot... a bright UV-stable material is to the outside, and a dark comfy color inside.

The living space in the pilothouse/salon is very open and pleasant, but there is one other huge cost to this arrangement... low overhead in the aft stateroom. King-size bed, but under the cockpit well there is no sitting up.

Steve
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
She is just gorgeous Steve.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43   #45

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
I think the Sceptre 41 is a good example of a pilot house SV were the pilot house seems to be an integrated aspect of the design. There aren't too many around, but as we get closer to buying a boat they are on the "short list"
I am biased because I own one but the Sceptre is a good compromise for a Pilothouse. It was really nice to do the Baja bash sitting down below in the Pilot Station. I can't control the sails from down there but it is nice and warm down below. The thing that I really like about the Sceptre is that it is light and airy when you are sitting down below.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote