Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2023, 10:44   #31

Re: Opinions on These New Monohull Cruising Scows?

Well, it's definitely not an introvert's boat because you'll be getting constant questions about it. Interesting look, no idea how it performs tho.
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:23   #32

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

C'mon grampas, this is the new normal!

Old 10-11-2023, 13:09   #33

Boat: 1985 Ericsson 30+

chiming in here: having sailed on the above boat, and having the slip across from them for 6 months in emeryville ca, i can say that the “rosie g” (red dog yachts) sails extremely well
on all points of sail in light and medium winds in san francisco bay. they departed to southern ca channel islands last week and hap a beautiful downwind sail with no problems. chose a sweet weather window and enjoyed moderate to light wind and swell the whole way, non-stop from sf bay to santa barbara.
she is still being shaken down, but i can tell anyone interested that she is light and fast and sails to wind extremely well. i have not sailed her in any swell or heavy weather, but things look pretty effing good so far. i’d love a 30’ scow bow sloop myself - the rosie g is a junk rig.
for anyone interested, i’d say watch them closely. they’ll be making for the south pacific soon, they have a small youtube channel and a frequently updated blog. barry and sam are awesome people, keep an eye on them
kaliphornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:12   #34

IMHO, I find the comments regarding appearances to be rather odd.

Whenever one is aboard a vessel one does not view its appearance, one is only engaged in its function and performance be that at anchor / moored / docked, motoring, motor sailing or sailing and if sailing under highly variable conditions and directions.

The thoughts regarding appearances seem to be centered more around personal vanity and less in consideration of actual cruising or racing or living aboard attributes.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 13:37   #35

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
IMHO, I find the comments regarding appearances to be rather odd.

Whenever one is aboard a vessel one does not view its appearance, one is only engaged in its function and performance be that at anchor / moored / docked, motoring, motor sailing or sailing and if sailing under highly variable conditions and directions.

The thoughts regarding appearances seem to be centered more around personal vanity and less in consideration of actual cruising or racing or living aboard attributes.
I find most of that post to be rather odd.
A "yacht" is not, and neither should it be, just some misshapen version of some piece of factory machinery.
A "yacht" is one of the very few, (perhaps the only,) inanimate objects that man can build in which it might be said to have a "soul".
We fuss over them, we try to keep them "pretty", we smile when we see them.
They answer something that lies within us, and we coax them to respond to our desires.
The greatest designers knew all of that, they knew that a proper yacht should have a degree of gracefulness, svelte.
A colloquial definition might be a boat that's "easy on the eyes", like a beautiful woman.
That's why we call them "She".
Too many "modern" boats enter a harbor and aren't worth a second glance.
They came from designers that have no "soul", in which the stark/severe path to "performance" is held as the Holy Grail.
Some others bring a smile and a twinkle in your eye when you see them enter, they came from designers who understood the term "Yacht" and what it means.
Those who disregard all that are perhaps themselves lacking in soul and certainly have no romance.
Old 12-11-2023, 17:31   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliphornia View Post
chiming in here: having sailed on the above boat, and having the slip across from them for 6 months in emeryville ca, i can say that the “rosie g” (red dog yachts) sails extremely well
on all points of sail in light and medium winds in san francisco bay. they departed to southern ca channel islands last week and hap a beautiful downwind sail with no problems. chose a sweet weather window and enjoyed moderate to light wind and swell the whole way, non-stop from sf bay to santa barbara.
she is still being shaken down, but i can tell anyone interested that she is light and fast and sails to wind extremely well. i have not sailed her in any swell or heavy weather, but things look pretty effing good so far. i’d love a 30’ scow bow sloop myself - the rosie g is a junk rig.
for anyone interested, i’d say watch them closely. they’ll be making for the south pacific soon, they have a small youtube channel and a frequently updated blog. barry and sam are awesome people, keep an eye on them
Ok, but let us know what they say after they have sailed back up to SF.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 15:57   #37

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

Drinky Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 16:18   #38

Traditional sailing scow schooners.

A New Zealand scow.

The Jane Gifford

The Alma, located at San Francisco at Hyde Pier.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and these fine and functional vessels should not be scowled upon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scow Sailing_Scow_In_New_Zealand.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	283354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scow Jane Gifford.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	283355  

Name:	Scow Alma San Francisco.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	283356  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 21:03   #39
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

Scows and to a lesser extent a dory's hull form are truly great in nice weather but man, get them into a short period wave pattern and you will hate them!
For a day cruiser/ trailer sailor in settled weather, they have much to recommend them.

Nice video though.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 21:06   #40
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

Montanan
I see what you did there!
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2023, 21:21   #41

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I watched that vid referenced in post #37, and looked at Andrei's home page.
Pleasantly surprised that some of his boats looked like real boats.
Otherwise, Chief Inspector Clouseau may have found cause to throw him in the Bastille for some "reeducation" concerning his crimes against visual decency.
Old 17-11-2023, 09:18   #42
SnB
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2021 Antrim 42 Happy Cruising Junk

Having just sailed the ROSIE G (Antrim 42 Happy Cruising Junk) from SF to SB, 350NM average 5.5 using only limited electrons, and having sailed 16 times on the Bay in varied conditions, up to 25kt making ebb slop, we can only be happy so far. First, the boat sails as a good boat should. Hull form, low CE of the junk rig, low weight above deck for the rig (less than 500lbs), and the interesting twist all keep us going upwind at good angles. Off the wind, it’s like sailing on air. Peak experience for the short trip was finding the ladies on deck free-standing in the cockpit watching the wake as we surfed doing 10+ dead down in 20T. No rolling. Rock steady. And with the Hydrovane driving for six hours.
Yes, more waits in the discovery of how she goes in all that one seems to find out there. But having watched the bow in short and steep, even big ferry and tanker wakes, there is no water on the deck. The bow just explodes the water into a big splashy thing that blows away from the boat. And there is certainly no way our bow will dive and be submerged.
The most interesting thing is how the bow wave seems to slide under the boat and then blow out back around the mast, but it never reforms. Slippery as.
From my experience (66 years sailing so far on lots of different boats, lots of ocean miles) i will state now that in ten years it will be hard to find a new design that isn’t ‘scowy’. There are too many things that make sense.
How about putting the volume of a 50’ into a 40’ slip? And when the design type is fully explored and developed it can only get better and better.
Finally I ask, ‘who put the point on the front and when?’ Once you understand the answer to that you will never look at a ‘normal’ boat again without thinking of the front third as simply being a weirdly faired in bow sprit. Hey… now they are even putting bow sprits on the funny fairing thing.
Don’t wait too long to get out of the old beauty phase and get with dry decks, great tracking, reduced tendency to broach, and relaxing average speeds. Once the market realizes there is a shift coming it might be like what happened to windsurfing when kites came along, then to kites when wing foiling came. Shifts happen.
SnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 09:28   #43
SnB
Marine Service Provider

Here some photos of the sail south.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8149.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	283478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8389.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	283479  

Name:	72054504012__04D8E416-784E-4D83-8D56-B54ED5A2DEB7.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	283480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8332.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	283481  

Old 17-11-2023, 09:38   #44

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnB View Post
Here some photos of the sail south.
My interest is piqued! But that isn't exactly what I thought of as a scow. Still, are you still in SoCal? I'd love to see her up close.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 09:50   #45
SnB
Marine Service Provider

We’re at Safe Harbor Ventura Isle.
Have a look at www.reddogyachts.com home page scroll down page to Ep 16 and take the journey with us from sf to ventura isle.

Tags
cruising, hull, monohull