Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 10:03   #1

Boat: Pearson 26
Max length = 26 feet

Here's my dilemma: I once had an ASA Bareboat rating (over 20 years ago), but haven't done much sailing since because my wife just isn't into it (she gets motion sickness in the car). When we were young, she indulged me and we bought a 1978 O'Day 27 and I had a mooring that would accommodate it. But...life gets in the way...built a house, a family and a business; sold the boat and gave up the mooring. I now have a mooring that limits me to a 26 foot vessel, and I now have a 17' O'Day Daysailer III that I use whenever I can find the time. I'm on the waiting list for a new mooring for a larger boat (it'll be several years before my number comes up). A seasonal rental mooring for a boat in the 27' to 37' range would cost me about $4,000 - not gonna do it. (My town mooring is only about $150/season).

I'd like to get a new boat that will give me the option for overnight and coastal cruising from my homeport (Nantucket), and also for summer live-aboard in the harbor. In that regard, the Nonsuch 26 is extremely attractive ("Classic" layout rather than the "Ultra" because of the 4 individual berths - and $). But my long-term goal is to work out the rust and get more proficient again in all things boating so that I may eventually "retire" to a boat (I'm now 48). Realistically, I'll probably never venture much beyond the Caribbean (snowbird - Nantucket for shoulder seasons and summer / Bahamas for the winters). But I don't see myself making the migration in a catboat - especially one that's only 26 feet. Eventually I would like to get a larger sloop/cutter.

So...should I go with the Nonsuch, or should I just get a sloop (26' or less) that will allow me to improve my sail-handling skills? Currently, I'm really liking the Ericson 26, but it's definitely more of a "camping" experience than the Nonsuch would be. I'd also like to keep the price for a new boat under $30,000.

This is a question I've been struggling with for a couple of seasons now, and I just can't seem to come to a decision. Any thoughts? I like the Nonsuch for the live-ability and comfort, but I don't think it'll really prepare me for the next boat after this one (or will it?)
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:43   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Max length = 26 feet

If you can afford the Nonsuch, I'd take that in a hearbeat! Those boats have a great reputation. If by sailing skills you mean practice with different size headsails I say I think you'll be having plenty of sailing fun with the Nonsuch. You won't miss the extra sails too much.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:18   #3

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

One thing to consider in boats 24-26' is headroom.. Make sure you have enough. That will narrow your choices.. My boat (26ft) doesn't have full headroom, and I bang my head quite often! I'm even thinking of getting a helmet for bad weather days..

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:23   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post

So...should I go with the Nonsuch, or should I just get a sloop (26' or less) that will allow me to improve my sail-handling skills? Currently, I'm really liking the Ericson 26, but it's definitely more of a "camping" experience than the Nonsuch would be. I'd also like to keep the price for a new boat under $30,000.

This is a question I've been struggling with for a couple of seasons now, and I just can't seem to come to a decision. Any thoughts? I like the Nonsuch for the live-ability and comfort, but I don't think it'll really prepare me for the next boat after this one (or will it?)
The size is not the limit. 26', and less, boats have sailed to everywhere and people can live on a 26'er for years. Yes we can.

Another 26' that you may like will be a Frances 26 or Victoria 26.

VICTORIA 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Get the boat that will feed your dream. One that will take you sailing places. You WILL learn more if you SAIL MORE.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:24   #5

Cape Dory 26?

1985 Cape Dory 26 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:40   #6

Boat: Tayana 37

What about something like a Bristol 24? Maybe not as spacious as some others, but definitely a boat that can take you up and down the coast and over to the Bahamas and the Caribbean with no problems. Plus, they're well under you $30,000 budget. You could buy one for maybe 10k and have up to 20k for any repairs or upgrades you might want.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:41   #7

There are plenty of fairly good candidates in that length, but headroom is a challenge. The Cape Dory is nice. Older boats like the Pearson Ariel maybe. Another good candidate is a well cared for Columbia 26 MK1 from early 60s. You'll be hard pressed to find a better built 26 with the amount of room, and headroom, that boat has, and it has respectable preformance for its vintage. You can practice changing headsails if you really think you need to. I am a Columbia owner and I love it, but if I had the money, and I was looking for a 26, I'd stop at the Nonsuch. That is not your grandfather's catboat below the waterline.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-02-2015, 12:54   #8

makes you wonder why we bother with jibs at all...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-02-2015, 13:20   #9

Pretty good headroom it seems. Lots of room everywhere.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-02-2015, 13:28   #10

The Non Such is cool, you might not go to weather as well as a sloop... but that's up to you. You can motorsail to weather as well as a sloop sails to weather if you need to get somewhere I imagine...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 14:10   #11

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Look into a Westerly Centaur, too. They're a nice 26 footer with good interior space.
Old 10-02-2015, 14:26   #12

If this is not your last boat and since you're already familiar with O'Days and considering the limits of your current mooring why not consider O'day 25FK with the tall rig. The only real negative is of course the 5'6" head room. But other than that it has everything else one will need for weekend sleepovers and a hops around the islands. Plus you're practically in the O'day country so you'd have plenty to choose from for well under $10,000. Probably can find a well kept one for around $5,000 or a little more for a diesel.

On the plus side when it comes time to sell and you have kept it up, you would most likely sell it on for the same $$ as you have paid for it which will never be the case with a $25,000 boat.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 18:25   #13

Boat: Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
If this is not your last boat and since you're already familiar with O'Days and considering the limits of your current mooring why not consider O'day 25FK with the tall rig. The only real negative is of course the 5'6" head room. But other than that it has everything else one will need for weekend sleepovers and a hops around the islands. Plus you're practically in the O'day country so you'd have plenty to choose from for well under $10,000. Probably can find a well kept one for around $5,000 or a little more for a diesel.

On the plus side when it comes time to sell and you have kept it up, you would most likely sell it on for the same $$ as you have paid for it which will never be the case with a $25,000 boat.
I'll take a look at those. I was considering the newer Catalina 25WK with a trailer. A year ago, there seemed to be pages of them on yachtworld, now there's only a handful (on the east coast).
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:16   #14

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

If you can find a Paceship PY 26 that would also be a great boat. I use to sail one with my family from Marblehead to the Vineyard. Great handling and lot's of headroom. I cruise to Nantucket now from MD. How can you get a town mooring there for $150 a season when I have to pay $80/ night if I wanted to use a mooring vs. anchoring out?
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:22   #15

Boat: Scout 30

I've been on several of the 30's. Huge interiors. I doubt you'll find more room in any other 26' boat. The quality is a significant step up from Oday or Catalina which is one reason they are so expensive. We had a boat with an unstayed wishbone rig & really liked it. Trimmed right you can get a good turn of speed with it. Windsurfers have the same rig & aren't slow.

One important feature not mentioned is that this is a great looking boat! Life's too short to own an ugly boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote