Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2007, 07:46   #76

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 "Happy Camper"
maple leaf 42

Just been reading this forum with great curioucity. Just bought a '94 Maple Leaf 42 out of Tacoma. The discussion on handling in downwind conditions sparked me to ask the previous owners thoughts as he sailed from Seattle though the canal, across to the Med and back. I'll pass along his comments.
merlinslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 12:41   #77

Forgive my ignorance but why did you offer $92K if its listed at $78K on the website?
iceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 16:17   #78

You offered what!

Iceman, I think you've got your Maple Leaf 42 owners crossed up, assumming you were asking this one, (Merlinslave). For the record I gave 124k for a boat asking 138k. As to the conversation regarding Maple Leafs not handling downwind/following seas well; the previous owner related running in 40+ with large seas under a Monitor Windvane and only one instance of the boat rounding up. In my exspirences that's about par. He also gave the usuall advice, "SMALL" head sail only when running..., keep the effort forward. Another thing that I found works with centerboard boats, drop the board down about half-way or a little less. Creates a longer underbody profile to stern.
Old 28-11-2007, 17:30   #79

Boat: Kristen 465
Small headsail when running?

Really? I would have thought that a large headsail (and maybe no or reefed main) when running would put the center of effort further forward. Am I missing something?

I had a great downwind sail last January in 20 to 35 knots with twin jibs out (one on either side from the forestay, the "old fashioned" way that Motessier mentioned in his first book). Worked great and the steering felt quite light.

Craig
Cadence10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 06:39   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinslave View Post
Iceman, I think you've got your Maple Leaf 42 owners crossed up, assumming you were asking this one, (Merlinslave). For the record I gave 124k for a boat asking 138k. As to the conversation regarding Maple Leafs not handling downwind/following seas well; the previous owner related running in 40+ with large seas under a Monitor Windvane and only one instance of the boat rounding up. In my exspirences that's about par. He also gave the usuall advice, "SMALL" head sail only when running..., keep the effort forward. Another thing that I found works with centerboard boats, drop the board down about half-way or a little less. Creates a longer underbody profile to stern.
I may be confused but not about that. The original poster says he offered $92K for the boat that he linked to. The boat on the link says its selling for $79K.
iceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 07:42   #81

The size of the sail's set is always dictated by the conditions. My thought at the time was when the wind is really piped up it doesn't take much to get over powered. I've run down wind under bare pole and following seas and still had so much forward volocity to stuff the bow in the back of waves to the mast and that was on a 30,000lbs Rival. The point I was making was to us foresails to pull the boat and try and offset the push from the stern. Conditions, Conditions, Conditions there always in charge out there.
Old 29-11-2007, 21:15   #82

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
We are in love with the SAME BOAT

Hi,

I asked about 42' Maple Leaf boats and was sent to this thread. It's the same boat my husband and I are in love with. We live in Gresham.

Why didn't you buy it? It is everything we need and want. We have a 28ft Newport now, but Momma needs more room and ready to sail away.
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 22:43   #83

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
Maple Leaf 42 - Rudder Mod

Can anyone tell me what the modification to the Maple Leaf 42' rudder mentioned. We are considering the 42' for world cruising and cant find the info of what exactly that modification for $8 - $10 is.
Aparrotwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 23:04   #84

Now that's my kind of boat! I see why your wife wanted you to buy it. Enjoy!

Anne
annegibsonwaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 10:21   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5 View Post
I may be confused but not about that. The original poster says he offered $92K for the boat that he linked to. The boat on the link says its selling for $79K.
I think that's probably after a price reduction that occurred since the first deal fell through.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 14:31   #86

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Actually "Wanker" is an old fisherman's term for the leading hand among those persons whose task it is to refurbish the hooks on the long lines--the master baiter--

This downwind idea may apply to any vessel requiring additional rudders when sailing downwind--it is an old ploy seldom seen these days. The transom needs to be solidly built or it can be reinforced with an additional heavy crossmember, and to the transom just above the waterline are fitted wooden brackets (or stainless steel) which protrude about ten inches from the vessel. The inside sides of the brackets can also serve double duty as a step support.

Into these are slotted wooden dowells at the extremities, so we now have a slot down which is slid a long narrow laminated fixed rudder of fairly high aspect ratio, designed to drop until it sits on top of the bracket and rest against the dowel. The top of the board rests against a rub-strip fastened to the top of the transom and the board is retained by a lanyard.

If the board is forgotten about and grounds or strikes something solid the dowel shears and the board comes out of the slot, and is trailed astern by the lanyard until a new dowel is fitted. Two can be used, but it is possible to fit more of them on a larger vessel if required. They do not interfere with the normal rudder as they are generally mounted well clear of it on full turn unless the rudder is also mounted on the transom.

Lotsa luck--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 13:56   #87

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
There is a very nice fairly late model Colvin ketch for sale on Yachtworld.com. Just pop in Colvin in the manufacturer, all regions in the region space in the search input and presto--a lovely steel ketch.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 22:57   #88

RUDDER MOD

Here is a pic of the rudder mod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2335  
Old 28-12-2007, 23:30   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I've read this thread right through. The original one you were looking at is still for sale, now at $79k? Bet the owner is annoyed. LOL
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 21:05   #90

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
42' Maple Leaf Purchased

I just bought the 42' Maple Leaf (Portland,OR) for $70K - now the real fun begins! General and Motor Surveys were all great! April we will gut the engine room and totally remodel. More fun!! Ha
Aparrotwind is offline   Reply With Quote