Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 19:35   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Passport 41
Posts: 174
Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

Looking for a sanity check on a yard estimate for replacing a cutlass bearing and a PSS seal. Maxprop if it matters. hours, not rate.

what you got charged, not a guess if you don't mind.

thanks
__________________

kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 19:47   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,808
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

I assume you'll need to pull the maxprop and the shaft.

These numbers are based on what it takes me to do this, and I am pretty familiar with the various parts. There are a lot of variables, and if I was giving you an estimate ahead of time, I'd double this number, and hopefully you'd be pleasantly surprised at billing time...

To disassemble and pull the maxprop, 1 hour. To reassemble at the end, 1 hour.

To pull the shaft, 1.5 hours, but this really varies depending on access and state of the fasteners. To reinstall and check alignment, 2 hours, again a really fuzzy number.

To remove and reinstall a cutlass bearing from a strut, 1.5 hours.

In install a PSS seal, 3 hours.

Basically about 10 hours. I'd estimate 20 hours, and charge you what ever it actually took.
__________________

billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 21:40   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Passport 41
Posts: 174
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

TIL how boat mechanics behave.


Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I assume you'll need to pull the maxprop and the shaft.

These numbers are based on what it takes me to do this, and I am pretty familiar with the various parts. There are a lot of variables, and if I was giving you an estimate ahead of time, I'd double this number, and hopefully you'd be pleasantly surprised at billing time...

To disassemble and pull the maxprop, 1 hour. To reassemble at the end, 1 hour.

To pull the shaft, 1.5 hours, but this really varies depending on access and state of the fasteners. To reinstall and check alignment, 2 hours, again a really fuzzy number.

To remove and reinstall a cutlass bearing from a strut, 1.5 hours.

In install a PSS seal, 3 hours.

Basically about 10 hours. I'd estimate 20 hours, and charge you what ever it actually took.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 23:14   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Langley, WA
Boat: Nordic 44
Posts: 1,017
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

If your boat is out of the water for the season this is a very good DIY project.

If there is clearance pull the shaft with out removing the prop it will save you a lot of time but you might want to take the opportunity to clean out the old grease and inspect it. If the prop has to come off and it is a two blade one person can disassemble/reassemble, for a three blade classic two people are needed for a few minutes of the reassembly and in either case you must know the settings.

Depending on access to the shaft coupling and cutlass bearing the PSS install may take a long time. If it is a V drive transmission the tranny may have to be removed. The hardest part of the job is just being able to reach it and get the old packing gland off.

If the cutlass bearing is on a P strut it is easier to get it off. There are probably four setscrews holding it in.

None of this is very complicated but it can be time consuming for a first timer. My boat, also a Bob Perry design has a V drive and a P strut and I have done both of these jobs more than once.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Passport 41
Posts: 174
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

Awesome, thank you - my boat is a straight shaft drive and the shaft coupling and seal are both easily accessible in my boat so I think the only complex piece will be the maxprop. I have been thinking about diy'ing this over the last couple days and probably will do that.

Images:




Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
If your boat is out of the water for the season this is a very good DIY project.

If there is clearance pull the shaft with out removing the prop it will save you a lot of time but you might want to take the opportunity to clean out the old grease and inspect it. If the prop has to come off and it is a two blade one person can disassemble/reassemble, for a three blade classic two people are needed for a few minutes of the reassembly and in either case you must know the settings.

Depending on access to the shaft coupling and cutlass bearing the PSS install may take a long time. If it is a V drive transmission the tranny may have to be removed. The hardest part of the job is just being able to reach it and get the old packing gland off.

If the cutlass bearing is on a P strut it is easier to get it off. There are probably four setscrews holding it in.

None of this is very complicated but it can be time consuming for a first timer. My boat, also a Bob Perry design has a V drive and a P strut and I have done both of these jobs more than once.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22   #6
Registered User
 
Bill O's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Posts: 1,052
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

The instructions for removing/reinstalling a MaxProp are straight forward and have good videos showing how to do it. Once you do it you'll get past that bump and wonder why you didn't do it before.
Quick question though, why do you have an anode attached to the shaft inside the boat?
Also noticed like many of the dripless shaft seals, you do not a water feed from the motor to the seal, so be sure to "burb" the seal to release the trapped air when you splash the boat again (before motoring out of the lift area).


Bill O.
__________________
Bill O.
KB3YMH
https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:24   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Passport 41
Posts: 174
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

That anode is a safety device for the set screws on the PSS. This is my first boat with PSS but my surveyor said that was a best practice (either that or a hose clamp on the shaft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
The instructions for removing/reinstalling a MaxProp are straight forward and have good videos showing how to do it. Once you do it you'll get past that bump and wonder why you didn't do it before.
Quick question though, why do you have an anode attached to the shaft inside the boat?
Also noticed like many of the dripless shaft seals, you do not a water feed from the motor to the seal, so be sure to "burb" the seal to release the trapped air when you splash the boat again (before motoring out of the lift area).


Bill O.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:39   #8
Registered User
 
Bill O's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Posts: 1,052
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
That anode is a safety device for the set screws on the PSS. This is my first boat with PSS but my surveyor said that was a best practice (either that or a hose clamp on the shaft)

OK seems reasonable.
__________________
Bill O.
KB3YMH
https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:55   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Langley, WA
Boat: Nordic 44
Posts: 1,017
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

OK, you are just replacing the bellows and maybe refinishing the SS ring. Looks like you have had some seepage from the seal. The face of the ring can be skimmed and polished if it has any pitting. I had that done a few years ago. PYI sells a kit with a new bellows, hose clamps, O rings and set screws. You need to know the OD of your shaft log.

When the boat splashes you should burp the seal to get trapped air out. Otherwise the seal can overheat.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:17   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Antigua
Boat: Hunter 49
Posts: 36
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

Just completed this entire project - new shaft seal and cutless bearing. We replaced the brand of shaft seal from Tides Marine to LasDrop II and as such noticed the shaft alignment was slightly off, so pulled the Vari-Prop (cleaned, inspected, greased), removed shaft and polished, removed old cutless and replaced; reassembled all parts, then finished aligning the shaft at the couplers (this actually was most time consuming as we loosened the engine mounts to get the specs precise). Total time was 16 hours (mechanic and a helper)
drapem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:30   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: West Palm Beach
Boat: Whitby 42
Posts: 1
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

I just had my cutlass bearing and shaft seal replaced last month here in South Florida. Conventional prop was pulled, shaft removed and cleaned up then all was reinstalled. Labor was 10 hours and included alignment.
bituman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:47   #12
rbk
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Canada
Boat: T37
Posts: 1,611
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

I did my own last fall with conventional prop, swapped out packing gland for PSS, no issues with stuck bolts or coupler (used gear puller). Actual time to remove/replace cutlass, install PSS with modified packing gland and reinstall shaft w/new coupler, reinstall prop was less than 3 hours. No machining was required.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:49   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Edmonds WA USA
Boat: Island Packet, 40
Posts: 49
Send a message via Skype™ to saillr
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

I assume you need to replace the cutlass and therefor might as well go Dripless.
Why in the world would you replace a time proven, reliable, simple method of keeping water out of the boat via the shaft seal with a complex system that will need service and adjustment and eventual replacement? (and could sink your boat)
When i got my new Island Packet 40 over 30 years ago I replaced the standard stuffing with Teflon impregnated stuffing. It has never leaked a drop since. About 5 years ago I did notice one drip so tightened about 1/8 turn and it has been dry and cool ever since.
Ask anyone who has used Teflon infused stuffing and you will be amazed.
Save your money.
saillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 14:15   #14
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 5,941
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
That anode is a safety device for the set screws on the PSS. This is my first boat with PSS but my surveyor said that was a best practice (either that or a hose clamp on the shaft)


Absolutely agree. I do the same and I reckon they should include the anode in the PSS kit when you buy it!
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:21   #15
Registered User
 
seadago's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch
Posts: 128
Re: Labor Estimate for Cutless and PSS Seal

I've just been quoted 16 hours labour for replacing the prop shaft, cutlass bearing and dripless gland, @ 50 euros/hour in Brest, France. This includes shifting the engine forward in the bay to allow access to the dripless though. I have already removed the rudder and old prop, and loosened the cutlass bearing, about 3 hours work, and will replace myself when the job is done, so your estimate of +- 10 hours is on the ball park.
__________________

seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Labor estimate for dodger and sailcover replacement TacomaSailor General Sailing Forum 4 02-06-2019 23:49
Shaft Seal - PSS or Tides Marine Lip Seal ? Lennie Construction, Maintenance & Refit 40 13-08-2015 09:36
Volvo 2003 and PSS seal Kestrahl Engines and Propulsion Systems 1 16-02-2014 07:40
Cutless bearing, flex coupling and PSS packing gland thaisail Propellers & Drive Systems 34 08-04-2013 11:21
For Sale: New PSS Shaft Seal for 1" shaft and 2" stern tube. funjohnson Classifieds Archive 1 02-02-2013 19:37

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.