Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-01-2021, 07:32   #11

Boat: Catalina 28
Re: Is Alberg the best production designer ever?

I find it fascinating that so many have such different viewpoints on Alberg designs. In my humble - yet correct - opinion, no one ever designed a prettier boat than ol' Carl. Not even Philip Rhodes. However, the art and science of yacht design has greatly advanced in the seventy years or so since he became active. And it shows. Just about any quality boat of today (or even from twenty years ago) will sail better and be more comfortable in almost every way than an Alberg design.

Yes, Alberg designs do some things very well, but overall, they pale in comparison to modern yachts. It's like trying to compare a 1965 Mustang to a 2021 Toyota Camry. The Mustang does somethings better than the Camry for sure, but the Camry is more comfortable, reliable, safer, and economical. Objectively, the Camry is "better", just like a new Beneteau is "better" than an Alberg. Which is more stylish? Come on; it's not even close; the Mustang/Alberg is what you want to be seen in. But is it the boat you want to sail in?

I'd much rather look at an Alberg than a Beneteau. But I'd rather spend the weekend (or even a day) on the Beneteau.
hukilaumike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, designer