Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2021, 15:22   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: I could use some advice choosing a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Since you have a budget which has a finite limit you do not want the risk of buying a boat which could need very expensive structural repairs .
Therefore I strongly urge you to find a competent surveyor or boatbuilder and have any vessel thoroughly examined.
The engine, rig, steering ....concentrate on the basics.
I’d pass on race boats, steel boats, wood boats, aluminum boats anything with a core and especially any bolted on keels.
Research all the issues of repair costs .
Stick to the basic strong, proven vessels.
Happy trails to you
The manatee crew of professional boatbuilders.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 16:11   #32

I want to say thank you for everyone who has responded. You have given me back my positivity!
All the comments have been very good, common sense suggestions and advice. Some is so obvious after you guys/gals say it. I'm new to retirement, you've made me realize another routine or habit that no longer applies, feeling like I'm Tethered to the house.(I need to go on a walkabout!)
Takeaways:
Boats that cruise but also race. I thought I would thoroughly enjoy not having a schedule I just going where and when the wind took me (within reason) but you made me think, I've never had a motorcycle that didn't go 200 miles per hour and I tested that on regular occasions on the track. And I'm looking at my toys, a 12-cylinder VW Phaeton, Kawasaki ZX11, Kawasaki ZX12R, KTM 300 EX. So in retrospect, I think speed will NOW be a definite consideration along with my other requirements.

Go out and volunteer, just get on every boat Type I can.

I really like the Forum thread on the pre survey self inspection checklist.

I am going to start going to Texas regularly, good taxes, some calm Waters to learn in, close to home, prices seem good.

Putting my personal requirements down on paper to use as a checklist, that would also help the price missing requirements.

You made me realize it's my own fault I'm so frustrated with my search, again, I need to get out there and look at things in person.( of course I eventually would, I just thought Brokers would be more of a help in the initial stage) definitely not like a real estate agent.

I have looked at Sailboatdata before, now I'm going to learn more about what it tells me.

Stay focused and try to be as unemotional as possible. I've heard many people say, don't fall in love with it until after you pay for it. And of course you wouldn't pay for it unless you loved it.

Thank you again everyone, I will let you know how it all turns out.
Sally-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 16:35   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally-Go View Post
but you made me think, I've never had a motorcycle that didn't go 200 miles per hour and I tested that on regular occasions on the track. And I'm looking at my toys, a 12-cylinder VW Phaeton, Kawasaki ZX11, Kawasaki ZX12R, KTM 300 EX. So in retrospect, I think speed will NOW be a definite consideration along with my other requirements.

AHA! You were holding out on us! Ok, see if you can volunteer on this boat then!
and buy the Newick 45 and then can I volunteer on that one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-03 162915.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	239672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-03 163256.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	239673  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 16:42   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you follow through with sailing, it will take all your money, you'll be broke, and the boat will still want more! Probably more demanding than a highly skilled mistress. You won't have time for your other toys.

But, there is also value in being on the ocean, and in moving slowly, watching the wildlife, swimming, and so on. Definitely not desert stuff, but might be dessert. Good luck with it all.

Ann
Old 03-06-2021, 16:45   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Ah sailboat speed. I frequently think when i am sailing “fast” how when i was younger I could run a marathon 40% faster.

Sailing - the most expensive way to travel slowly.
Old 03-06-2021, 17:20   #36

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Would suggest a local product ,ie USA a Catalina 42 mk 2 in boom furling cutter rig with Solent will fill the bill ,for starters easy to go from there ⛵️⚓️😇
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 18:48   #37

That Trimaran is very cool, respect to those guys. These rigs with lift are crazy, like watching a Falcon 9 land. I have been watching all the big Ocean races also. The Solo intrigued me the most, I could relate to those sailors more than the team crew. Technology from racing is moving soo fast into the consumer segment, it always has, but has that process accelerated even more for boating in the last 10 yr? I wont be totally reliant on it, but, the NAV stations that are available...WOW. And Speaking of Musk/Tech, they are working on the Marine version of Starlink! affordable 5G anywhere. Whats next? Ice makers on boats? (lively discussion ,haha)

Thank you all again, this helped immensely. Really

Ps. Ann, you point out one of the best parts of sailing for me! Nature and wildlife.
Sally-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 21:09   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I want to say thank you for everyone who has responded. You have given me back my positivity!
All the comments have been very good, common sense suggestions and advice. Some is so obvious after you guys/gals say it. I'm new to retirement, you've made me realize another routine or habit that no longer applies, feeling like I'm Tethered to the house.(I need to go on a walkabout!)
Takeaways:
Boats that cruise but also race. I thought I would thoroughly enjoy not having a schedule I just going where and when the wind took me (within reason) but you made me think, I've never had a motorcycle that didn't go 200 miles per hour and I tested that on regular occasions on the track. And I'm looking at my toys, a 12-cylinder VW Phaeton, Kawasaki ZX11, Kawasaki ZX12R, KTM 300 EX. So in retrospect, I think speed will NOW be a definite consideration along with my other requirements.

Go out and volunteer, just get on every boat Type I can.

I really like the Forum thread on the pre survey self inspection checklist.

I am going to start going to Texas regularly, good taxes, some calm Waters to learn in, close to home, prices seem good.

Putting my personal requirements down on paper to use as a checklist, that would also help the price missing requirements.

You made me realize it's my own fault I'm so frustrated with my search, again, I need to get out there and look at things in person.( of course I eventually would, I just thought Brokers would be more of a help in the initial stage) definitely not like a real estate agent.

I have looked at Sailboatdata before, now I'm going to learn more about what it tells me.

Stay focused and try to be as unemotional as possible. I've heard many people say, don't fall in love with it until after you pay for it. And of course you wouldn't pay for it unless you loved it.

Thank you again everyone, I will let you know how it all turns out.

Check out this website http://mahina.com/wp-content/uploads...-John-Neal.pdf
It has changed a little over the years but Jon Neal has been there. That said, ultimately it comes down to your own preference.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 14:54   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sally-Go,

In your looking, consider boats built in northern Europe, anywhere from the Netherlands north, and including England. They've been building north sea capable boats for a long time, and some of them are small!

<Mike OReilly>, a CF member, is a strong proponent of the concept of making your own the SMALLEST world travel capable boat you find that you like. His choice is a Rafiki 37. Currently separated by Covid 19 from his boat, but you can search his posts on the subject, and on composting heads.

Ann
Old 04-06-2021, 14:59   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
That Trimaran is very cool, respect to those guys. These rigs with lift are crazy, like watching a Falcon 9 land. I have been watching all the big Ocean races also. The Solo intrigued me the most, I could relate to those sailors more than the team crew. Technology from racing is moving soo fast into the consumer segment, it always has, but has that process accelerated even more for boating in the last 10 yr? I wont be totally reliant on it, but, the NAV stations that are available...WOW. And Speaking of Musk/Tech, they are working on the Marine version of Starlink! affordable 5G anywhere. Whats next? Ice makers on boats? (lively discussion ,haha)

Thank you all again, this helped immensely. Really

Ps. Ann, you point out one of the best parts of sailing for me! Nature and wildlife.
I think I see the Sea of Cortez in your future! Do you have a passport? Perhaps you need a little vacation in Bahia San Carlos down south of you (not too far from you, relatively speaking) and walk the docks and chat with folks? Or head out to San Diego as was mentioned. Or maybe hitch a ride out to Catalina or the Channel Islands too; you can get a taste of a little bit of everything there!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 17:17   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seawind 1600 52'

Sally-Go,

I starting reading the responses, then had to start skimming.... One thing I know you will find is this same comradery out on the water.
So here's my suggestion:

Take some ASA sailing classes and get your bareboat license (101/103/104 are the levels). This way you can be directly taught a lot of the basics AND then be able to try out different boats in different sailing grounds by chartering. I started out as a racer, then local cruiser, then sailing school instructor. There are ASA schools all over the USA (even Arizona) that can get you started. I would suggest a live-aboard course for at least a taste of going to sleep and waking up on a boat. Big, Small, Mono or Multihull. So much is personal choice.
Good luck, Hope to meet up on the water some day!
Captain Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:01   #42

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indefatiguable View Post
Oh and also,

Smaller boats are simpler to operate, maintain, store, transport, etc etc

40+ feet is a LOT of boat

If i could stand up down below in one, I'd own a folkboat
Very true.

I have a 44ft, a couple weeks ago I went to park it with both the wind, and current against me.

No problem, nose in, and use the engine to "walk" the stern over, right?

Full throttle only got me 45 degrees, not parked.

Tie long line to stern, run to bow, jump to dock, run line to cleat, and crank it in.

Both legs, and 200lbs pull, I got it in ONE inch. Chinch up the the whole ONE inch slack.

Repeat, repeat, repeat,.... 200 times to crank in 20 ft.

When I finally got the stern within "docked" distance, I told my wife, the 50 footer we were looking at?

Not going to happen.

I had the Main jam the other day, I had to stand on tippy toes to reach it. The boom is exactly 6 feet from the cabin top. One more inch, and I wouldn't have gotten it.

Putting a ladder on top of the cabin, while bouncing on the waves is not an option.

My mainsail weighs 200 lbs with battens. If my electric winch fails, I'm in for a long hard day cranking it up by hand.

Replacing it is at least a 2 man job.

It is a comfortable ride, but I wouldn't go an inch larger for two people.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:02   #43

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

I was also going to suggest the training path that CAPT Scott just brought up.

I’m not familiar with the ASA scheme, but doing a 5-day liveaboard course (Competent Crew in the RYA syllabus) will:
a) teach you the basics of how to handle a boat
b) give you 5 days living on board a boat that will probably be around 38-42 feet long
c) show you the sorts of things that you might want in a boat
d) give you 24x7 access to a very experienced sailor who can answer all your questions. You can guarantee that they’ve seen many people in a similar position to yours

If you decide you like it then picking up skipper qualifications (Day Skipper or higher) will teach you more advanced boat handling plus the theory side. Another 5-day liveaboard.

After that, you’ll be in a much better position to decide what you’re looking for.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:42   #44
Marine Service Provider

Hey SallyGo,
Looks like you're getting a lot of advice and suggestions. I'd like to add to them. I am a yacht broker with United/Avenger Yachts in the beautiful marina town of San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, just a few hours South of Nogales. San Carlos has several of the best marinas on the Sea of Cortez with lots of bluewater/liveaboard sailboats in your range. Most of the expats here are from Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Canada. There are dozens of boats here to fit your criteria. You should plan to come down for a weekend. I'd be happy to show you a range of boats with different sizes, styles and budgets to help you sort out what you are looking for.
Jaymon
Jaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:12   #45
cruiser

I'm in a similar situation but I did grow up cruising sail boats and working where I could assist a fleet of seaworthy vessels.

I plan on moving onto a marina berth for at least a few years first. This is because close to work but also to familiarise myself with my vessel in a controlled environment. Getting a good look at what I'll get and becoming familiar with repairs whilst not bouncing around. Organise stow such that emergency situations have swift passages.

Although it'll probably sell before I can afford to go fetch her, one boat I like is 42 foot, a forward cabin with a doorway bulkhead. Not sure if a door is there but will be soon afterwards if I win.
Then two small cabins either side of a passage. Same again, can seal. Cabin isn't overly huge but leads aft to another 3 sealable sections. Layed in thick solid fibreglass. An honest estimated direct route passage into a beat of 2.5 knots.
By living aboard first few years, I'd find time to inspect bilge, stock up on bung plugs and valves (down here most vessels sank due to seacocks in through holes, not due to collisions). If bulkheads aren't low, I'd be working my time to fix that. Might already be such, idk.
By using marina, mooring as first start, enables choice of weather to learn her levers.

There's lots of boats I like and like typed, it's a compromise. Another boat of slightly longer length I like is an open plan cabin. Would be a faster vessel, would be safe, simply discipline of routes need apply incase she did flood.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat, sail, sailboat