Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 00:20   #1

Boat: Currently yachtless
Volvo MD11C Exhaust Manifold Wanted

My exhaust manifold on a Volvo MD11C has expired (extensive cracking in metal casting and much rust) very tragically as I recently completed a top end rebuild on this motor. Desperately searching for replacement and happy to pay shipping from outside Oz. Alternatively any info on fabricating a replacement or an after market product available very welcomed. I don't seem to be able to come up with anything and fear it might well spell doom for an otherwise great engine. Thanks for any help.
Walaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 10:05   #2

Re: Volvo MD11C Exhaust Manifold Wanted

I have one, and some other spares for your Volvo if you're still looking. (Vancouver Island, Canada)
fishOutOfWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:37   #3

Many thanks fish out of water for your reply - I managed to buy a complete MD11C motor recently from a guy in Sydney OZ who was re motoring and am in the process of fitting the manifold at the moment. Fingers crossed for a few more years before I will need to re motor as well All the best to you, Walaby
Old 17-08-2017, 21:25   #4

Good that you found what you needed. I'm repowering with a Beta 25 and a couple of days ago we pulled a complete raw water cooled MD 11c along with the panel and wiring loom. The engine has about 1800 hours on the clock and I've had it for the past 14 years. We want to venture farther afield and it was time to upgrade. Over the years I collected a few spares (didn't have to use them) that might be of interest to someone.

In addition to the complete engine I have:
1 Exhaust manifold
1 Exhaust elbow
1 Fuel lift pump (disassembled)
2 injectors (refurbished about 6 years ago)
2 cylinder heads (would need to be refurbished, one broken valve)
2 blade and 3 blade left hand props (1" shaft)
2 transmissions - these are not drop-in, one has the reduction gear separated and one reduction gear case has rotted through. Might be enough parts to keep another running.
Shop manual
Owners Manial
Old 18-08-2017, 01:22   #5

Hi again That Betta motor is exactly the engine that this guy put in his 32' Manitau and he is now cruising up near Cairns, Qld from Sydney and is very happy with it he tells me. I paid $300 for the whole motor also with a new set of engine, head & manifold gaskets that he had so given the exorbitant price of Volvo spares here I was very pleased with the deal! Mine is fitted to a saildrive 120S and has 3500hours on it, raw water cooled as well. The manifold is the weak link in the raw water cooled engines that and keeping the water channels in the head & block open and free of crud. Is the manifold that you have new? I will keep it in mind if this one doesn't work out. I must say that I am getting sick of working on my motor after having a number of issues these last 2 years but a new motor fitted here is approx $15,000 so I will battle on for now. Mine is fitted to an old 1980 steel S&S 34 sloop rigged. All the best
Old 22-08-2017, 13:40   #6

Hi Walaby. My spares are all used. The manifold appears good to the eye..... I hear you with respect to keeping to your old Volvo running. I had my manifold off a couple or three times over the years chasing crud in that wee water passage that feeds the rear cylinder. Flushed occasionally with Rydlyme too - I'd pipe a closed circuit from the "t" under the manifold (using a small bilge pump for circulation) and used the drains at the base of each cylinder to cycle the solution back to the reservoir. The cooling system is quite crude and with separate heads the temperature sensor is really only monitoring an average of the two cylinders. For what it's worth I purchased an inexpensive 12V digital temperature sensor / readout device on eBay with a couple of thermistors - I attached one to a frost plug on each cylinder (reasoning that the water behind the frost plugs would be closer to the actual temperature rather than the surrounding cast iron) so I could see what each was running at. Worked well.

Anyway, when I arrived at the work dock there was an Albin cruiser receiving a Beta 35 (a turbo version) to replace a MD3B and later a 32' sailboat pulled in to have an MD11D replaced with a Beta 30. Unfortunately that couple had spent $4000 USD just last year to have the Volvo rebuilt but it didn't last. You've done really with your engine at 3500 hours I think!
Old 07-11-2017, 03:51   #7

Hi Fish out of water.
I’m interested in the Volvo MD11C exhaust elbow.
Do you still have it?
DN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:28   #8

Hi DN01

I still have the exhaust elbow. Let me know your email and we can discuss.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:55   #9

Hi it’s DN01,
My email is
pilatos@ozemail.com.au
DN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 14:36   #10

Hi Fish out of water,

Do you still have the md11 and spares? I'm particularly interested in the exhaust manifold.

Cheers,

Eric
ericb951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:40   #11

Sorry Eric, the exhaust manifold and the other spares have been sold. I hope you find one.

Tags
exhaust, volvo, wanted