Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2020, 19:46   #1
TBA

Hylas 49 vs. Tayana 48 DS

Ok, am I insane comparing these two boats?

I’m looking for center cockpit, blue water, ICW compliant boat with no more than 6 ft. draft. I’ve looked at several famous brands (old and new) and have zeroed in on the Tayana 48 Deck Saloon and Hylas 49. Both appeal to my gut/heart.

I know they’re different with their own strengths, but looking at current possible costs is the Hylas worth a 25-33% premium for fairly comparably equipped 2005 - 2008 boats? I’m looking at 10-15 years of ownership.

Thx in advance.
TBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 00:49   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Hylas 49 vs. Tayana 48 DS

The Hylas is a very nice boat, I’d certainly pay a premium for one over a Tayana
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 08:57   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

You can't go wrong by buying a Hylas. We spent a few years looking at similar boats, bought a H54 2003 and absolutely LOVE it. The boats are really well made, will last forever (if you take care of them) are super safe, beautiful, comfortable and hold their value.

David Walters Yachts specializes Hylas. We bought ours from them and can vouch for their professionalism, knowledge of Hylas yachts and service.

If you check DWY website you'll see that Hylas is doing zoom webinars with the 3rd gen family who's running the biz. Check one out and you'll learn why the boats are so good and their service so great.
Old 26-04-2020, 12:02   #4
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesscapade View Post
You can't go wrong by buying a Hylas. We spent a few years looking at similar boats, bought a H54 2003 and absolutely LOVE it. The boats are really well made, will last forever (if you take care of them) are super safe, beautiful, comfortable and hold their value.

David Walters Yachts specializes Hylas. We bought ours from them and can vouch for their professionalism, knowledge of Hylas yachts and service.

If you check DWY website you'll see that Hylas is doing zoom webinars with the 3rd gen family who's running the biz. Check one out and you'll learn why the boats are so good and their service so great.
Thanks. It is an awful pretty boat. Inside and out. What’s the worst thing that could happen if I buy a Hylas, right?!?!?!?
Old 26-04-2020, 12:07   #5

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

The hylas will likely not only be better built but better spec'd out of the gate.. but how has each been cared for?

what is it that makes your heart sing? they are different boats (beyond build quality)... i'd really start by writing that list out and see which one better fits (assuming that money isn't the deciding factor)...

either way - congratulations! both are lovely boats!
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 12:40   #6
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
The hylas will likely not only be better built but better spec'd out of the gate.. but how has each been cared for?

what is it that makes your heart sing? they are different boats (beyond build quality)... i'd really start by writing that list out and see which one better fits (assuming that money isn't the deciding factor)...

either way - congratulations! both are lovely boats!
Thanks Mag3. I wish I could say money is no object! Though I can afford either I don’t know if my inner voice will let me. I’m retiring after working for the last 40 years. Hard to let go of saving.
Old 26-04-2020, 12:43   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

You can’t go wrong with either boat. Had a Halas for 7 years prior to our current boat and friends had a Tayana on which we spent a lot of time cruising. If I had to choose between the two, it’s an easy dilemma - pick the best equipped and maintained one. There is no substantive difference in quality.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 12:51   #8
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You can’t go wrong with either boat. Had a Halas for 7 years prior to our current boat and friends had a Tayana on which we spent a lot of time cruising. If I had to choose between the two, it’s an easy dilemma - pick the best equipped and maintained one. There is no substantive difference in quality.
Thanks. I think I’m in a good situation, but it’s a big decision. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 26-04-2020, 13:11   #9

Those two boats will fit under 65 ft bridges?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 14:11   #10

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA View Post
Ok, am I insane comparing these two boats?

I’m looking for center cockpit, blue water, ICW compliant boat with no more than 6 ft. draft. I’ve looked at several famous brands (old and new) and have zeroed in on the Tayana 48 Deck Saloon and Hylas 49. Both appeal to my gut/heart.

I know they’re different with their own strengths, but looking at current possible costs is the Hylas worth a 25-33% premium for fairly comparably equipped 2005 - 2008 boats? I’m looking at 10-15 years of ownership.

Thx in advance.
We owned Hylas 49 #53 built in 2006 from 2006 - 2012. We also had to make a choice between the H49 and a Tayana (I think the 52 from memory). You can't really make a bad choice here, they are both great boats. What did it for us were two things 1/ The Hylas has better sailing performance, and 2/ The quality of the wood work, especially the curved mast cover and other bookended panels, the fact that sole boards are finished and varnished on the UNDERSIDE are small examples of the many things that all added up to help us decide in favor of the Hylas 49. We never regretted it. Awesome boat, took us across the Atlantic twice. If you want to check out our website you can see a number of pix there along with some suggested improvements that we documented periodically Alan & Joan's adventures sailing Moonstruck from America to the Mediterranean. Joan Teed's Art.

If you want me to send you an album with interior etc pix just let me have an email address.

AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 14:33   #11
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Those two boats will fit under 65 ft bridges?
I believe all the Hylases will unless modified. I have to be mindful on the Tayanas.

Thanks for thoughts.
Old 26-04-2020, 14:37   #12
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
We owned Hylas 49 #53 built in 2006 from 2006 - 2012. We also had to make a choice between the H49 and a Tayana (I think the 52 from memory). You can't really make a bad choice here, they are both great boats. What did it for us were two things 1/ The Hylas has better sailing performance, and 2/ The quality of the wood work, especially the curved mast cover and other bookended panels, the fact that sole boards are finished and varnished on the UNDERSIDE are small examples of the many things that all added up to help us decide in favor of the Hylas 49. We never regretted it. Awesome boat, took us across the Atlantic twice. If you want to check out our website you can see a number of pix there along with some suggested improvements that we documented periodically Alan & Joan's adventures sailing Moonstruck from America to the Mediterranean. Joan Teed's Art.

If you want me to send you an album with interior etc pix just let me have an email address.

Thanks, Alan. You lived my dream. It’s a big decision. Glad to know I’m heading in the right direction.
Old 26-04-2020, 16:19   #13

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

++1 to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If I had to choose between the two, it’s an easy dilemma - pick the best equipped and maintained one..
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:54   #14

Boat: Hylas 49

I've got a 1990 Hylas 44. Build quality is exceptional. Family owned, and they still provide customer support for my boat.
When I went to rebed the lifeline stanchions I bought a box of 1 1/2 machine screws. They were too short to go through the deck!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:38   #15

Boat: O'Day 26

Go for the Hylas!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas