Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2022, 04:05   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Inside info on St Pete Anchoring?

I’ve been looking at the chart to see where I might be able to anchor while awaiting my appointment for getting the mast stepped.

My Rigger is in Saint Pete. Right in the heart of it all.

I’m not sure what the situation is for the dock. I don’t think it’s just free and included for me during the time I may have to wait there.

This boat is too much to get a dock and the moorings do not accept the boat size in the north basin. Plus I hear the moorings are terrible and nonexistent and whatever. No dinghy dock.

So I’m trying to find somewhere to anchor that I can go ashore from in the general vicinity of the main downtown Saint Pete area. I know. It’s a Hail Mary. Ha ha

Any tips? And if you don’t want to make them public, a private message would be OK.

Thanks!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 08:01   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Inside info on St Pete Anchoring?

Chotu -

I believe that you can anchor off the end of Albert Whitted airport. From there it is a short dinghy ride either north to the municipal marina or south to The Harborage.
Old 22-11-2022, 09:17   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

The mooring field in the North Basin has been closed for a couple of years. The marine patrol will run you out if you anchor in the South Basin. It's only allowed on holidays such as New Year's.

Anchoring out in the bay is possible if you don't mind the chop on windy days, but a free dinghy dock is not available. You can rent city short-term docks on the pier near Doc Ford's.

The city marina has a long side-tie dock that handles large catamarans, but you will have to pay for the privilege.

If your rigger is SSMR on Salt Creek, they let you keep your boat at the dock while work is ongoing.

The nearest free anchorage with close conveniences is in Boca Ciega Bay, near the town of Gulfport.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 04:38   #4

OK. Great! Thank you so much for the up-to-date information on Saint Pete. Everything I read online seems to say that it was changing. So that’s why I had to ask in the forum.

I don’t mind anchoring outside. That’s my usual go to actually. My boats are usually big enough that I can handle some bouncing around. But when we say chop, does it get pretty bad out there? There are bound to be some stiff northerly and easterly winds this time of year.

I’m sure when the work is on going, I will be at the dock at the Rigger’s, however, when I first get there, maybe just after the rigging project, maybe even at some time during the job when they need me to hop off because they have another job and mine is waiting for parts or something, I see that there can be times when I need to find a place to stay.

Docking this boat in anything but the most rundown trailer park marinas is not in my budget. Lol I never built it intending to put it at marinas. Potentially a mooring once in a while, but not docks.

This trip to the Rigger represents a huge portion of my budget.
Old 23-11-2022, 05:56   #5

Like many locales in Florida these days, St. Pete has little love for Boaters Without Bucks.

Mostly, that is because so many people with junk boats and little ambition abused the privilege, dumping their waste in the water, creating eyesores, anchoring too close to people's homes, etc.

Tampa Bay has a fetch of 15 or 20 miles in some directions, meaning it can get rough with short, steep waves. Other days, it is as smooth as a pond.

An anchoring alternative is to take the ICW channel heading west south of St. Pete, toward Pass-A-Grille Channel.

North of marker G13, just east of the beginning of the Skyway bridge, is a quiet anchorage with 10 feet or so of water. It's maybe 90 minutes motoring from Salt Creek with no bridges.

However, there are no dinghy docks and no shops, bars, etc., within walking distance once you reach shore, which is why it's so quiet.

I remember there being a hotel somewhere nearby. I don't know whether you can cut a deal with them.
Old 23-11-2022, 07:16   #6

Consider Big Bayou, just west of Coquina Key south of downtown St Pete (about a mile south of Albert Witted Airport). I have not been into this achorage by boat, but have driven past several times. Access appears narrow but there are several anchor-outs in the area. On the west side of the bay is beach area that skirts 6th Av S with bus service into St Pete.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 09:27   #7

OK! These are all great options. Thank you so much for letting me know about some of the places to hang out while waiting for the Rigger.
Old 23-12-2022, 04:42   #8

I gave chat GPT a whirl today with this question.

There are several good anchorages near St. Petersburg, Florida, that offer protection from wind and waves and provide access to local amenities and attractions. Here are a few options to consider:

Fort De Soto Park: This anchorage is located at the southern tip of St. Pete Beach and offers access to a variety of amenities, including showers, restrooms, and a playground. The park also has a dog beach, nature trails, and a fishing pier.

Pass-a-Grille Channel: This anchorage is located just south of St. Pete Beach and offers good protection from wind and waves. It is a popular spot for boaters and offers access to local restaurants and shops.

Blind Pass: Located between St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island, this anchorage offers good protection from wind and waves and is close to local amenities and attractions.

Tierra Verde: Located at the southern end of St. Pete Beach, this anchorage offers good protection from wind and waves and is close to local amenities and attractions, including restaurants and shops.

It's always a good idea to check the local weather and tides before setting anchor, and to follow all local regulations and guidelines for anchoring in the area.
Old 23-12-2022, 06:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I gave chat GPT a whirl today with this question.

There are several good anchorages near St. Petersburg, Florida, that offer protection from wind and waves and provide access to local amenities and attractions. Here are a few options to consider:

Fort De Soto Park: This anchorage is located at the southern tip of St. Pete Beach and offers access to a variety of amenities, including showers, restrooms, and a playground. The park also has a dog beach, nature trails, and a fishing pier.

Pass-a-Grille Channel: This anchorage is located just south of St. Pete Beach and offers good protection from wind and waves. It is a popular spot for boaters and offers access to local restaurants and shops.

Blind Pass: Located between St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island, this anchorage offers good protection from wind and waves and is close to local amenities and attractions.

Tierra Verde: Located at the southern end of St. Pete Beach, this anchorage offers good protection from wind and waves and is close to local amenities and attractions, including restaurants and shops.

It's always a good idea to check the local weather and tides before setting anchor, and to follow all local regulations and guidelines for anchoring in the area.

Your search shows the limitations of artificial intelligence.

That's my home ground, and I wouldn't anchor in any of those spots.

First, Tierra Verde is a collection of islands separate from St. Pete Beach. Much of the water around it is shallow. The deeper water is open to the south and east, as well as the considerable wakes from the shipping channel.

Fort DeSoto is on Tierra Verde, not St. Pete Beach.

Pass-A-Grille Channel and the surrounding area has thousands of powerboats a day roaring by, as well as a strong current. Some brave souls anchor off Shell Key, but never for long.

Blind Pass has a lot of shallow water, no access for sailboats to the ICW and is open to the west and north. It also has a sizeable current. There are some restaurants.

There are a couple of free anchorages, including a good one off Gulfport and an isolated one off Costa del Sol that requires careful maneuvering between shoals.

Long dinghy rides will bring you to some restaurants and Publix in those areas, but public dinghy dockage is limited to nonexistent.
Old 23-12-2022, 06:48   #10

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

I hunkered down here for a couple of days when I got caught in a blow on the way back from Key West. It was a sheltered enough for some relief, but too rough for a dinghy ride ashore. The current was quite strong and I dragged anchor once, but it was a good place to weather over.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 06:58   #11

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

We live in Gulfport, FL which has a great overnight anchorage with a free dinghy dock. Since holding can be iffy in a blow, I would not recommend being there for a long time. There are moorings balls to rent if the wind picks up (contact Gulfport Marina). Another anchorage is 27°42.200'N, 82°40.453'W , the North Tampa Bay Skyway anchorage with good holding. Crossing Tampa Bay towards Bradenton, tuck into the Manatee River for a good night's sleep. Depending on the winds, anchor off Emerson Point 27°31.796'N, 82°38.087'W or DeSoto Point on the other side, very good holding and good protection from the wind. We DO NOT recommend anchoring off Shell Island or in Tampa Bay, the currents and wind will drive you crazy.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 10:10   #12

Boat: Catalina 42

We spent a few months around Gulfport/Pass-a-grille during covid. Good spot IMO. The town of Gulfport has a good dinghy dock and restaurants, but no good grocery access. You can take a mooring from the municipal marina, was pretty cheap monthly, and includes laundry and showers.

Hop straight across the bay to behind St Pete Beach and anchor. Good holding. Free dinghy access here courtesy of the dolphin tours dock, they are cruiser friendly. Puts you literally in the parking lot of Publix, restaurants nearby.

Pasadena by Cat Island a 3rd option. Shore access here more challenging but doable.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 21:19   #13

You can simply anchor in any residential Canal. Nobody does anything about it. The dock makers/repair guys like Speeler anchor their boats there every night. We have called to try to get them removed, and we are told there’s nothing we can do. So take advantage of the free anchoring.
Florida Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring